Rimless, Euro brace, vrs traditional.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I want to be looking at or for. I like the euro brace, since its cleaner looking and stronger than rimless. Not sure if the price is really worth it to me.

Thought rimless was cool to but after putting a mess over it I realize I won't be looking downward into the tank as much.

what are some of the pros and con of the different styles?

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing..... who is making high quality tanks. There are so many suppliers. Looking for a 50-150 gallon tank with built in bulkhead and black background. I'm leaning towards making my own stand also. I like to have room for any mods.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imho 90 % of people who buy rimless screw themselves , need to buy some custom lid lol and or loose mad fish , drip water down the glass constantly , need way thicker glass that messes with magnet mounts of pumps ect , also its so dang weak to force the seams to carry all the stress , euro bracing is ugly as hell imho never liked it. I use standard rimmed tanks like 80% of the time and 100% above 80 gallon size . Its worth your time to track down a used or new non used Deep Blue Professional tank .I think you will see alot of posts of people still using these and swearing by them. Seapora is the new MFG they bought the designs and rights to the deep blue's

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently had Miracles build my tank, I didn't want the pieced in looking Euro brace so I paid extra for a one piece Euro brace. The Euro brace is 4 1/2 inches wide which makes it harder to get my hands into the tank for maintenance.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gotta go custom and get a nice looking Euro Brace ;)

20190527_141240.jpg

Regular Eurobracing actually doesn't cost much more than rimless (The one piece can add quite a bit though).
As mentioned above the big reason for this is you can go with slightly thinner glass than a rimless tank. It also saves a bit on weight as well which can be nice.

Top custom manufacturers out today would be

Elos
Reef Savvy
Miracles
Tank Me USA (Currently not taking orders to catch up on there current ones)
Crystal Dynamic Aquariums (CDA)
Planet Aquariums

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost purchased a used Red Sea Reefer 250, but I didn't like the stand and the sump seems to be on the small side

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 29 and a waterbox 70.2. My waterbox is amazing. I do drip water, but I also drip water on the rimmed 29. It came with the stand and the plumbing so all I had to do was hook everything up. The glass is thick but my current USA Eflux 660 powerheads have no issues with the magnets holding. It looks nice and clean. Yes you do need a custom lid but honestly I have a thick piece of plexi and two pieces of glass on mine temporarily. Certain companies make some very lovely lids for these tanks. I do like the look of eurobracing too.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

20190527_141240.jpg

Regular Eurobracing actually doesn't cost much more than rimless (The one piece can add quite a bit though).
As mentioned above the big reason for this is you can go with slightly thinner glass than a rimless tank. It also saves a bit on weight as well which can be nice.

Elos
Reef Savvy
Miracles
Planet Aquariums
What is the hole in the Euro brace for?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for the guy ( its not gonna be me I just think of this stuff) who makes the euro brace internal and drill frag mounts into , kill 2 birds with one stone and I think it would look good.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the hole in the Euro brace for?

No hole in the Eurobracing, that's a hole in the bottom of the tank :p that particular hole is the main siphon for my closed loop. Worth noting that some do put holes in the Eurobracing for returns or a closed loop system though

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think custom is going to happen for this guy. Trying to be somewhat reasonable with maintenance costs and operation cost.

Looking at cost of weakly whater changes too.

I'm leaning towards a 24x22x48. Really like 60" but wife doesnt seem to happy about it.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190527_141240.jpg

Elos
Reef Savvy
Miracles
Planet Aquariums

Wow! That eurobracing looks nice! Who did it?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think custom is going to happen for this guy. Trying to be somewhat reasonable with maintenance costs and operation cost.

Looking at cost of weakly whater changes too.

I'm leaning towards a 24x22x48. Really like 60" but wife doesnt seem to happy about it.

If you're looking for reasonable cost, check out SCA, they have a 150 Gallon Eurobraced tank for a reasonable price

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That eurobracing looks nice! Who did it?

That would be Miracles Aquariums, since I posted my build here in the spring Derek has had quite a few orders for them. He actually just installed a second water Jet machine he told me for the one piece euros. They eat up an INSANE amount of time on the water jets.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep blue 60ish gallon (forgot the exact size) is the most ideal tank in my mind for those who are limited with space, want to drill a bean overflow, has extra width, only the black frame on the bottom/rimless look on top, inexpensive sorta, supports a 20g tall homemade sump underneath so u have some space to the sides, easy to find a stand or make your own, etc...

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190527_141240.jpg

Elos
Reef Savvy
Miracles
Planet Aquariums

That looks fantastic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had eurobraced, regular plastic trimmed and rimless .... and prefer them in that order. Eurobraced just seem so much more robust to me and as a charter member of overbuilders anonymous, that appeals to me. Had my first eurobraced in 1990, sold it in 2008 and as far as I know it’s still running. I ran a ML 265 for a few years and the flimsy plastic rim and braces made me nuts (even though I had no issues with them LOL). I just cannot keep rimless tanks clean and putting a screen on the top kills the aesthetic for me thus making them pointless.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that putting a screen on a rimless is like putting a thule box on a Ferrari. I have had al the tanks. If u really like a spotless viewing pane, rimless is a a chore

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back