View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I just got my new aquarium :
160 x 60(h) x 70 cm
Glass thickness 15 mm

However, one of the long-side glasses is "hanging", as the glass is 2 mm shorter :( Also the silicone on that side is not perfect :(
The tank is leveled on a mat.

Is this safe? its 550 L so I don't want to take any risks.

aquarium 1.jpg aquarium 2.jpg aquarium 4.jpg aquarium 5.jpg aquarium 6.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the silicone seal is good all around, then this shouldn't be a problem. Red Sea designs tanks this way and my front glass has no support what so ever. Makes sense when you consider that the forces on the glass are outward (tensile stress) and not downward (shear stress). The strength of a rimless is the silicone (which is impressive) which is partly why glass is thicker in rimless - more surface area for silicone.

All that said...every manufacturer has best practices and design requirements to be met. A quick email to them will allay all concerns.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the silicone seal is good all around, then this shouldn't be a problem. Red Sea designs tanks this way and my front glass has no support what so ever. Makes sense when you consider that the forces on the glass are outward (tensile stress) and not downward (shear stress). The strength of a rimless is the silicone (which is impressive) which is partly why glass is thicker in rimless - more surface area for silicone.

All that said...every manufacturer has best practices and design requirements to be met. A quick email to them will allay all concerns.
Thank you for your answer Quietman!
I did call the manufacturer- but they had so many excuses why the tank comes with the defect , which for them is “normal” that didn’t put any confidence In me :( quite the opposite.
To your point , if the extra thick glass is added for the extra gluing space, than the 2 mm gap would mean using 2 mm thinner glass , compensating the security? Or am I wrong here ?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt if it's a 'defect' as likely all their tanks are this way (or many of them) so that it's within their build tolerances (I'm assuming a reputable company here). If you had the only one, I would assume (again, reputable company) they'd make it right somehow.

Maybe nominally it reduces the effectiveness if compared to lining up exact, but you have 2 other sides. Just not sure it's going to impact so much to any failure during lifetime.

When I first saw my RSR - I was like, whoa - this can't be right. 2 years later...no issues. The glass hasn't slipped down one iota (or even a half iota). Granted my tank is much smaller, but the glass is also thinner. :)

No aquarium company (even the good ones) are going to guarantee against any failure.

And honestly, if I'd wanted more security I'd have gone aluminum framed tank. I considered it, but went for looks (and buying the package convenience). After 2 years, I have no concerns on security, but what I find more irksome is that every time I do anything at all inside the tank, I have water dribbling down front of glass to clean off. Just goes to show what's important over time and what we can accept once it's operating ok.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way...if you fill it with water* and it blows out the front glass, I'll accept that I was completely in error here. ;)

*Freshwater is easier to clean up for testing.**

**Hopefully my acerbic wit and dry sense of humor translates well to European sensibilities.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way...if you fill it with water* and it blows out the front glass, I'll accept that I was completely in error here. ;)

*Freshwater is easier to clean up for testing.**

**Hopefully my acerbic wit and dry sense of humor translates well to European sensibilities.
Thank you :)
I live on the 8th floor, so any failed tests will be fatal :D :D
The company doesn't respond to any emails neither gives any explanation on the security and the way they build their tanks, so I am left to find the answer my self :(

Their tanks are normal tanks, nothing crazy, that's why I think this is an error, since only one of the 2 long sides is shorter

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize it was like that on one side only. So yeah, thinking it's at least a quality issue if not a structural concern. If you bought it new recently, try to find phone number or maybe the return route (or at least threaten it and see if they justify why it's not accepted). If used...well, slowly add water for the test.

With what I'm seeing here...if they responded and said...it's within our tolerances for build and while we can't guarantee, blah blah blah I'd accept it. I can see how no response would be a bit concerning.

Good luck!

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize it was like that on one side only. So yeah, thinking it's at least a quality issue if not a structural concern. If you bought it new recently, try to find phone number or maybe the return route (or at least threaten it and see if they justify why it's not accepted). If used...well, slowly add water for the test.

With what I'm seeing here...if they responded and said...it's within our tolerances for build and while we can't guarantee, blah blah blah I'd accept it. I can see how no response would be a bit concerning.

Good luck!
Exactly, the one side error concerns me, as in my eyes, that is the weakest point, that can/will break.
their customer support is even more discouraging....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back