Rimmed tank - ok to support the short ends only?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqueon 60G breeder, which has a big thick rim, all untempered glass panels. 60G is 4' long, 1.5' wide.

Talking to Aqueon tech support, they say all that matters is that the corners are fully supported. Thus, the tech support guy claimed that for every tank 75G and below that he's ever had, he just supported the short ends, space under the long sides.

Can that be true?

I have a Chinese steel stand that isn't quite the perfect plane on top. If I were to put plywood under the two ends, that would solve the credit card space under one corner and allow good options for attaching plumbing clamps. I could also just live with the unsupported corner, given that the space is less than 1/16", but I'm actually a bit worried about that.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that their tanks with the plastic frame are designed to sit on solidly supported top surfaces, ideally level and flat. Of course they could be perfectly balanced upon solid 1" diameter legs and probably not break, but I wouldn't want to turn a gyre on inside a tank balanced like that.

Their stand assembly instructions show something similar to what you are describing, a solid surface atop a stand that is supported mostly on the long sides.

Aq stand assembly.jpg
This was for a 36-48 inch stand that comes unassembled. Their pine stands seem to lack the "K" part, but the tanks appear to have support directly beneath the plastic frame that the glass is assembled with.

Why wouldn't you support and protect the frame and glass edges from impacts that could happen during the life of an aquarium?
HTH!
:cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be a FOWRL. It won't have a gyre.... This is the stand I am "concerned" about:

I skim read the reviews, sorted on most recent and I'd be concerned. It looks to thin for my comfort out here in earthquake country. It might be fine? I would completely check out the return options before I paid to have it sent to my door. Maybe someone on here has it, and will calm us both down?

Anybody?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back