Rinsing Activated carbon with RODI

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always rinse with RO because I don’t want my new carbon sucking up chlorine, chloramines and other contaminants from my tap water.

just to be clear, carbon does not accumulate chlorine or chloramine. It breaks them down into ions that it does not bind, such as chloride and ammonia.

edit: I see some already explained this

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always rinse with RO because I don’t want my new carbon sucking up chlorine, chloramines and other contaminants from my tap water.

GAC decomposes chlorine and chloramines, so can skip the RO rinse.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course everyones tap water is different but mine is particularly nasty with a typical TDS over 350, It will literally burn your eyes, leaves brown residue on everything and stinks if left standing a few days :(
Crickey, I hope you don't drink this stuff!
I wouldn't use it to wash the dog.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is standard practice to remove dust/fines but I remember reading a long time ago in a book that rinsing/soaking carbon in RO/DI not only removes dust and possible PO4 but also helps open up the pores and essentially increases its performance VS not rinsing/soaking at all or rinsing/soaking with freshly made salt water.

Sound feasible? or hogwash? and why?
I install the new cartridge and then run the output tube into a white bucket for a few seconds, flushing it with tank water until it runs clear. I of course turn off my ATO until I top-off with new mixed saltwater.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS ROX 0.8 and just put it in a nylon sack and then my sump. It is not dusty like other carbon that you have to rinse several times to get clean. I guess you get what you pay for. Been doing it this way for 3 years with no issues.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Red Sea mentions soaking carbon in RO for 24 hours to eliminate trapped air.. but I just rinse it for 2 minutes in a tap water lol.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon removes organics /metals via adsorption, but these elements in town water supplies are negligible, so that's not a consideration when rinsing.

Carbon acts differently for chlorine, it does not adsorb it like metals or organics, rather it converts its form as it passes through - electron exchange, and carbons ability to do this is infinite.
Even when it has been depleted of its adsorption capacity, activated carbon still functions as an electron exchange medium for chlorine, meaning it will convert chlorine to chlorides. The exceptions being when there is channelling or total blinding of the carbon where direct contact with the carbon and chlorine is prevented.
So tap water is fine for rinsing.

So really if we are worried about chloramines then we should be putting a carbon granule filled cartridge before any other filters and not even worry about changing it ever? Just rinse and reuse? I see all these people using expensive chloramine filters and changing them often which is a ton of money!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So really if we are worried about chloramines then we should be putting a carbon granule filled cartridge before any other filters and not even worry about changing it ever? Just rinse and reuse? I see all these people using expensive chloramine filters and changing them often which is a ton of money!

1578964000460.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

carbon blocks get degraded by getting clogged with particulates, organics and certain types of chemical degradation. But not at all by binding and getting full of chloramine, chlorine, or ammonia.

Rinsing isn’t much help.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I said to use a cartridge filled with granules carbon and not a micron block. Because you could rinse the carbon off in the cartridge and just add it back and get the same effectiveness against chloramines right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I said to use a cartridge filled with granules carbon and not a micron block. Because you could rinse the carbon off in the cartridge and just add it back and get the same effectiveness against chloramines right?

Are you asking about ro/di? If so, I worry about full contact with the GAC in simple granules. RO/DI is a single pass application that is far more demanding than a reef water application.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon blocks get degraded by getting clogged with particulates, organics and certain types of chemical degradation. But not at all by binding and getting full of chloramine, chlorine, or ammonia.

Rinsing isn’t much help.

Randy, I recently watched a video that suggested that a more expensive (2x) 1 micron carbon block filter for RO/DI lasted 50x longer than the cheaper 5 micron carbon block for removing chloramine. If I am understanding you (always problematic that I am ;Bookworm ) the video is not understanding how a carbon block functions. Wouldn't the 1 micron clog more quickly?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking about ro/di? If so, I worry about full contact with the GAC in simple granules. RO/DI is a single pass application that is far more demanding than a reef water application.

Yes I am talking about removing chloramine in a rodi filter system. A whole canister full of only carbon, you would worry about contact time or ability? I would think with the small amount of water supplying most filters, the carbon would have enough contact time. The big blue chloramine filters used for commercial use is just carbon granules in a canister and they are supplied with a 1” connection, if that filter works then I would think an extra canister on our filters would be fine being supplied with a 1/4” line. Unless I am completely confused with what we are talking about.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse carbon in cool water to keep the dust from clogging up the membrane

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am talking about removing chloramine in a rodi filter system. A whole canister full of only carbon, you would worry about contact time or ability? I would think with the small amount of water supplying most filters, the carbon would have enough contact time. The big blue chloramine filters used for commercial use is just carbon granules in a canister and they are supplied with a 1” connection, if that filter works then I would think an extra canister on our filters would be fine being supplied with a 1/4” line. Unless I am completely confused with what we are talking about.

I don’t really know, but I expect there’s a reason these are sold as blocks and not granules in a canister.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back