Rinsing inverts with saltwater

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How should I rinse inverts with saltwater to get rid of Uronema (if present, who knows)? Is there any proper way. I read somewhere that rinsing helps get rid of uronema. I actually got uronmea marinum in my tank And I had to break down my tank. I do not want this nasty again in my tank.
Sorry if my question sound silly.

Thank you.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as well about this. Seems like Uronema is considered the worst of the worst when it comes to illnesses that can affect our fish. I would think a rinse with saltwater might help. How about a bath in Ruby Reef Rally? Claims it is safe on inverts.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour DT water over the animal (thoroughly) and into a bucket to be discarded. In a perfect world, this will "wash away" any free floating or free swimming parasites. However, it does not eliminate Ich or velvet tomonts if these are encysted upon the coral/invert. You need to isolate in a fishless environment to eliminate those: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect most coral dips will eliminate free swimming parasites or those with a direct lifecycle. So, that's another option to consider. However, coral dips are unlikely to kill tomonts (once again) as not even copper can do that. (It actually takes 60ppm chlorine 24 hours to kill a tomont. :eek:)

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish. Can i also wash a fish same way to get rid of free floating or free swimming parasite Or just the inverts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish. Can i also wash a fish same way to get rid of free floating or free swimming parasite Or just the inverts?

You technically can do that; however I'm not so sure a fish will tolerate water being poured over it as well as a coral. A better approach would be to give each fish a 30 min H2O2 bath before entering your DT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

You can safely double the recommended concentration to 150ppm. So, 5 ml of 3% H2O2 per 1 liter of saltwater.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parasites on the fish you are worried about are the ones protected under the skin feeding, of which most definitely won't wash away. If you rinse away any free floating/swimming parasites, it won't accomplish anything, as it is highly likely the feeding Trophonts are present also.

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Is it like that bath will kill parastites like Uronema Marinum and Ich velvet etc?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So parasites on fish:

Ich & velvet have trophonts which feed on fish and are not easily detachable. So, treating in a QT with either copper or Chloroquine is the best way to address those.

However, "surface parasites" with a direct life cycle (Brook, Uronema) can be knocked off with a single 30 min 150ppm H2O2 bath OR a 45 min 250ppm formalin bath.

One caveat about uronema is it can also spread internally, but I've only seen evidence of this in chromis damsels. So they should always be given a proper QT by dosing + food soaking metronidazole (which also treats uronema.) This is irregardless of whether you have already treated them with H2O2 or formalin.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned my lesson i will have to QT even inverts now got 2 skunk cleaner shrimp 3 days later all my fish had marine velvet now 4 of the 6 are dead the other 2 arent doin great in the QT with copper

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So parasites on fish:

Ich & velvet have trophonts which feed on fish and are not easily detachable. So, treating in a QT with either copper or Chloroquine is the best way to address those.

However, "surface parasites" with a direct life cycle (Brook, Uronema) can be knocked off with a single 30 min 150ppm H2O2 bath OR a 45 min 250ppm formalin bath.

One caveat about uronema is it can also spread internally, but I've only seen evidence of this in chromis damsels. So they should always be given a proper QT by dosing + food soaking metronidazole (which also treats uronema.) This is irregardless of whether you have already treated them with H2O2 or formalin.
Thank you so much @Humblefish. I have read your other articles as well and it really help.
Thats my very first time with Marine tank and the very first disease I encountered with was Uronema brook and I dont what else, Thats why I am wayyy too much cautious lolzz

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned my lesson i will have to QT even inverts now got 2 skunk cleaner shrimp 3 days later all my fish had marine velvet now 4 of the 6 are dead the other 2 arent doin great in the QT with copper

I've had a hard time convincing colleagues that a protomont can crawl onto a crustacean, and encyst upon it's exoskeleton to form a tomont. It's really no different than a flea crawling/jumping on a dog. FYI, once you see the crustacean has molted it's safe to place in the DT. :)

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a hard time convincing colleagues that a protomont can crawl onto a crustacean, and encyst upon it's exoskeleton to form a tomont. It's really no different than a flea crawling/jumping on a dog. FYI, once you see the crustacean has molted it's safe to place in the DT. :)
its funny you mention that because one of the shrimp molted that friday and that saturday is when i started noticing my one of my fish were acting/looking funny by sunday they were all infected

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its funny you mention that because one of the shrimp molted that friday and that saturday is when i started noticing my one of my fish were acting/looking funny by sunday they were all infected

It's possible whenever tomonts are on an exoskeleton that gets molted, that accelerates theront excystment. These parasites are not dumb. They will adapt to survive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back