RIP - Silicone Failure on RedSea 300XL my first "fancy" tank :(

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts or suggestions for a different manufacturer ? I'll forever be paranoid no matter what but surely a tank failing in 2 years is not normal :confounded-face:
I’ve been using Innovative Marine, first a 30 and now 60SR AIO. Very happy. Another solid choice is Waterbox.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its 2 years and 5 months you are still under warranty! Call them!
I had mine replaced for free with the newer version 2 upgraded tank and stand.
See my thread here about it. I was a few days away from warranty expiration!

I have reached out to RedSea with videos and pictures! Some people have mentioned in this thread and yours that their newer tanks have bracing and reinforced glass, so hopefully my claim goes the same way as yours. I am glad yours worked out!!! Thanks for the hope haha!!

My fish are alive, and that's what super counts, I would be devastated if I hadn't been home when this happened.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a better pic of the same in the edges ?
Sure thing, sorry it's a bit rough, screenshotted this from videos. You can see where the sand is all pooled in the front, but not along the sides. I have zero experience with this (until now LOL) but I would likely assume you might see bubbling first in the silicone before the pressure of the water could suck sand down through it while it leaked...

IMG_6348.jpg
IMG_6347.jpg

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you have any signs or advanced notice of that seem failing or did it all happen at once? I’m a little paranoid about mine doing the same thing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start a re-build thread?

Truly sad day for that RS tank & the OP. Sincere condolences.
fail black thumb GIF by Studio Flox

XyPP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much hate as RedSea is getting, part of me wonders if we'll see other brands that have a unsupported front pane pop the seam in the next few years. The front pane free floating to be flush with the doors for aesthetics seems like a poor design choice, but I'm no expert.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at and correspond with Crystal Dynamics Aquariums in California. They offer Aquariums that are Euro-Braced at the Top and Bottom. I recently saw a New Red Sea set up, beautiful aquarium, but I didn’t like the unsupported front glass panel.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry... At the money they charge it's ridiculous. The forum is loaded with posts like this. From seam issues to issues with their plumbing, that's why I'm abandoning Red Sea. I have a 45 cube of theirs and just purchased a larger system (Innovative Marine). Wouldn't buy any of their product ever again. Hope you get it sorted out. All the best.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts or suggestions for a different manufacturer ? I'll forever be paranoid no matter what but surely a tank failing in 2 years is not normal :confounded-face:
Innovative Marine and Glasscage

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back