RIP - Silicone Failure on RedSea 300XL my first "fancy" tank :(

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah..red sea has been very desirable for quite a long time. Apparently this issue has reared its head within the last couple of years. Its a risk we all take with any of our tanks. Live, learn, reef on!
A risk we take?

I don’t know about you. But when I purchase something to be used for its intended use. At a premium price. I fully expect there to be no inherent risk involved. Maybe if this was a SC aquarium or a used Craigslist or a petco special or some cheapo eBay tank. I’d agree. But for this to be happening to well known semi premium tanks in the hobby is suspect.

Maybe it’s a risk you take. But when I build an aquarium I’m not setting up with its imminent failure in mind at 2 to 3 years.

Basically are we accepting the fact that Red Sea tanks are like disposable cameras? Use them for a period and them throw them away?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did start doing research into acrylic last night, all the stuff I saw listed clarity as a CON for acrylic due to yellowing over time?? Do you have pics of yours posted anywhere under white light and how long have you had it?
Plus it scratches just looking at it.

I never see issues with Waterbox tanks which I have had and liked and so far I'm very pleased with my Cade.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being a nano guy I just don’t deal with the large quantities of water that you larger tank folks deal with and it’s just never been a concern for me as my tanks are under a lot less stress, weight and volume wise.

But I just can’t fathom setting something up in my home knowing there’s a large chance it’s going to fail and I’ll be out of 1000s upon 1000s of dollars and possibly have to do a rebuild in a room of my home. Maybe big tanks just aren’t for me in that case.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A risk we take?

I don’t know about you. But when I purchase something to be used for its intended use. At a premium price. I fully expect there to be no inherent risk involved. Maybe if this was a SC aquarium or a used Craigslist or a petco special or some cheapo eBay tank. I’d agree. But for this to be happening to well known semi premium tanks in the hobby is suspect.

Maybe it’s a risk you take. But when I build an aquarium I’m not setting up with its imminent failure in mind at 2 to 3 years.

Basically are we accepting the fact that Red Sea tanks are like disposable cameras? Use them for a period and them throw them away?
Lol..dude..you have water in a box in your house..yes..the risk we take. Your tank is unbreakable like the titanic is unsinkable I'm sure. I'm not defending red sea whatsoever..just trying to make OP feel better about making the choice to go red sea in the first place.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being a nano guy I just don’t deal with the large quantities of water that you larger tank folks deal with and it’s just never been a concern for me as my tanks are under a lot less stress, weight and volume wise.

But I just can’t fathom setting something up in my home knowing there’s a large chance it’s going to fail and I’ll be out of 1000s upon 1000s of dollars and possibly have to do a rebuild in a room of my home. Maybe big tanks just aren’t for me in that case.
They do create some challenges, but there are rewards as well. Most people I know get "stuck" walking past their tank, I am no exception, I finally caved and just put the recliner in front of it, and tend to sit and watch that tank instead of TV, or anything else really once I am home. It amazes me how fast that can relax me and restore my serenity.
20230601_085055[1].jpg may22.jpg

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol..dude..you have water in a box in your house..yes..the risk we take. Your tank is unbreakable like the titanic is unsinkable I'm sure. I'm not defending red sea whatsoever..just trying to make OP feel better about making the choice to go red sea in the first place.

The titanic was pushed beyond its intended use and was carelessly driven into an iceberg. It didn’t “just sink”.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I’m saying is that these tanks are designed to hold water. They should be able to hold water for an undetermined amount of time without failing after 2 to 3 years. You’ll never convince me that this is just par for the course.

It’s a design flaw on red seas part plain and simple. We’re not talking about a 15 year old tank here.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I’m saying is that these tanks are designed to hold water. They should be able to hold water for an undetermined amount of time without failing after 2 to 3 years. You’ll never convince me that this is just par for the course.

It’s a design flaw on red seas part plain and simple. We’re not talking about a 15 year old tank here.
I agree.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol..dude..you have water in a box in your house..yes..the risk we take. Your tank is unbreakable like the titanic is unsinkable Iy power failures, the TX freeze, etc that I never thought to expect the tank just bustin' open hahahah.
A risk we take?

I mean, I feel like, if this had failed like, six years in or something, I would have been like "OK, ****** luck" (and obviously what happened is still ****** luck) but a TWO year old tank...bought brand new, it feels really, really bad.

Also, full offence to myself, but I'm just not at the point in life where I can easily and immediately drop another $1700-2000 on a tank, you know? I guess you could argue it's on me for not being able to afford a new tank like that when I know this is an expensive hobby.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie my original goal was just a small tank maybe like a 50gal peninsula style. Maybe I will circle back around to that now that I have the chance. I always liked the look of the longer shallow tanks too...lots of choices to make now that I've been forced to hahahaha. Trying to see the opportunity here.

But I just can’t fathom setting something up in my home knowing there’s a large chance it’s going to fail and I’ll be out of 1000s upon 1000s of dollars and possibly have to do a rebuild in a room of my home. Maybe big tanks just aren’t for me in that ca

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do create some challenges, but there are rewards as well. Most people I know get "stuck" walking past their tank, I am no exception, I finally caved and just put the recliner in front of it, and tend to sit and watch that tank instead of TV, or anything else really once I am home. It amazes me how fast that can relax me and restore my serenity.
20230601_085055[1].jpg may22.jpg
GORGEOUS!!!!!! Staring at this to inspire myself again and get out of the big sads

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd get at least another 5 years out of mine. Do what you can, I almost got rid of it all... It's a big expense to be blindsided with. In the end I love the fish enough that they are going nowhere. Best of luck.

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a smaller 40 gal IM tank for almost as long as the recently failed red sea. The IM tank and it's seams still look new.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back