Rise up alk with kalkwasser from 5.7 to 8

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total volume is 90-100g.

Alk is 5.7. Need to rise it to 8.

I have kalkwasser from ESV. I also have a doser.

What is the best method to rise up my alk from 5.7 to 8 via the doser?

OP
OP
BurgerFish

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I disolve 1 teaspoon of kalk in 1L of water, how many ml will rise alk to 0.5dkh in 90g?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), that is a much better way of increasing your alkalinity since kalkwasser adds calcium as well. It also won't spike your pH like kalkwasser does. I have a gallon solution on hand in case I need to make larger adjustments.

Per BRS website:

Fill a 1-gallon container 4/5 full of RO/DI or distilled water and add 1 cup and 2 tablespoons (302 grams) of sodium bicarbonate. Secure the cap on the container and shake it for about 10 seconds to help start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI or distilled water. Give the container a few more shakes and then let it sit until all the salts have fully dissolved before use.

You can use the calculator on the BRS website to see how much needs to be dosed.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kalk or b ionic alk. No soda.
Arm and Hammer baking soda is available at any grocery store and many corner stores. Nothing needs to be done to it other than mixing it with RODI water. Of course you can use kalkwasser to raise alkalinity, but it will also raise calcium. You may as well use saturated kalkwasser (2 tsp per gallon) if you're set on using it to raise your levels. You can then use the calculator in the link to determine how much will need to be dosed. Input your total system volume, select saturated limewater, and the desired amount you're wanting to raise it.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, gonna buy Hammer tomorrow.
Sounds like a good plan! When mixed to the concentration on the brs website, you can easily adjust it by using their calculator. If you have sps, I'd raise it by 0.3-0.5 per day so as to not stress them. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back