Rised salinity from 1.023 to 1.025 in 2 days...can stress skunk shrimp?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have raised the salinity in the tank from 1.023 to 1.025 in 48 hours roughly, i have done it by topping off evaporation with double salinity water (80gr instead of 40gr per liter).

I've noticed skunk shrimp slowed down since yeasterday mostly hiding in his spot and not coming out to eat... I've seen that could be a iodine deficency OR sudden salinity change. I will put a nori sheet to eat for inhabitant in the afternoon, i don't want dose iodine since i do not have a test and not usre if is that.

.023 to .025 in 48hrs is too much?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mileage may very, but I find that my cleaners are not as sensitive to changes in salinity. Salinity in my tank fluctuates between 1.024 and 1.026 and all of my inverts have been fine.

My personal opinion is that my testing equipment, and the accuracy of my readings, has more influence on the changes in parameters than changes in the actual water. At least when it comes to small swings like this.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mileage may very, but I find that my cleaners are not as sensitive to changes in salinity. Salinity in my tank fluctuates between 1.024 and 1.026 and all of my inverts have been fine.

My personal opinion is that my testing equipment, and the accuracy of my readings, has more influence on the changes in parameters than changes in the actual water. At least when it comes to small swings like this.
It was moulting, just found his old skin...probably was that that kept him quiet.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was moulting, just found his old skin...probably was that that kept him quiet.
That's great news! I have two skunk cleaners in my tank, both of which have molted at least once. When the shrimp are getting ready to molt, I notice that they will not take food from my hand and generally look a bit lazy. So, it sounds like our shrimp may exhibit similar behaviors. Glad it's nothing to worry about!

Back