Risk of no QT in an invert tank?

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon lagoon set up for about a month and a half now. The tank will be an invert-heavy setup with just a few single-species (Azure damsel) fish. Current inhabitants are skunk cleaner, 2 sexy shrimp, 3 camelback shrimp, and 2 emerald crabs. I plan a few more shrimp and crabs as time goes on and I can monitor available hiding spaces.

If I add all 3 damsels at the same time and do not QT, what risk of disease and parasites am I introducing to the rest of my tank? (I understand the risk it may introduce to the damsels)

For example, what diseases / parasites travel from fish to inverts? And what is 'worst case scenario' of not-QTing (other than losing all 3 damsels)?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know of any disease other than some bacteria that will move from fish to invertebrates and harm them. Invertebrates serve as intermediary hosts for a few fish diseases, but they don’t die from that. More at risk will be the fish - every time you add a new invertebrate, you’ll run the risk of a disease coming in with its water.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back