Ritteri and BTA and clowns

Renshi8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Great to be here with everyone - as you can tell it's my first post and looking for some info. Here's a bit of info for context:

140g reef tank, been set up about 6 months.

I have 6 clown fish, all false percs

Until today, they did not 'host" the ritteri anemone

Ok, here's the story.... I added a BTA to the tank last week, and it was on the far side of the tank away from the ritteri. None of the clownfish until today decided to host either anemone. The ritteri has been in a high flow/high light area since I got him - he's big a beautiful. When I added the BTA, he stayed on the other side of the tank until last night, where he is now perched on a rock just below (not touching) the ritteri.

In the last 4 hours, the ritteri has begun to deflate, and the clowns, oddly enough, are finally hosting the ritteri for the very first time. I am not sure if they can "sense" something wrong with the ritteri, but they are mouthing the tentacles, jittering back and forth very fast among the tentacles, and seem like they are "trying to wake it up." As per the picture , it's about 1/2 the size it usually is. I'm going to test the water, but nothing seems to be "off" that would make this occur.

So, do you think the BTA moving 3/4 across the tank overnight, and perched just below the ritteri is the culprit? I've heard that anemones send out stingers to other aniemones in the water, and I'm thinking I may need to move the rocks and get the BTA off the current rock and move it.

Thoughts on why the clowns are finally hosting? Thoughts on why the ritteri has deflated? Should I move the BTA?

Thank you all,

Renshi8

IMG_7248.jpg

OP
OP
R

Renshi8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"update" - I was moving some rocks to get to the BTA, and it appears the ritteri is actually splitting in 2. It has a second foot on an adjacent rock! I'm hoping the deflation of tentacles is just part of the splitting! Thoughts?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"update" - I was moving some rocks to get to the BTA, and it appears the ritteri is actually splitting in 2. It has a second foot on an adjacent rock! I'm hoping the deflation of tentacles is just part of the splitting! Thoughts?

It would be uncommon for the ritteri to split in your tank.

If the ritteri is new to tank life you might want to look up Orion's treatment protocol. It is probably sick

@OrionN what do you think?

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost want to consider chemical warfare that I hear about with different species nems but you might already be running carbon anyways having added the bta.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for the "ritteri" to be splitting, it isnt common but possible. @Nemguy123 recently had one split in his care.

My thoughts and experience are that it isnt likely for the BTA to be causing problems. I Currently have 4 "ritteri" with 3 different color strains of BTA. I dont see mine having an issue. One of the "ritteri's" is very close to two of the BTA's also.

The tank sounds fairly new and the "ritteri" could still be adjusting. Also, it sounds like the clowns maybe young? Possibly captive bred? which could be a reason for their slowness to be hosted by the anemone.

Anemones are strange creatures and i think they can be confusing. I would keep on eye on it. My concern would come in if it continues to look retracted and the mouth stays open. That is often a sign of a bacterial infection and treatment would likely be needed.

It is possible that the BTA was carrying something and thus infected the "ritteri".

Keep us updated! :)

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost want to consider chemical warfare that I hear about with different species nems but you might already be running carbon anyways having added the bta.
Its my experience that the "chemical warfare" with anemones is more between certain strains of BTA's and less to do with different species of anemones.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Here’s some pics of a magnificent splitting :)

Attachments

• D7317E48-1936-47E5-9ABC-CE096E1EB409.jpeg
    D7317E48-1936-47E5-9ABC-CE096E1EB409.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 5777DF1C-26C4-485C-8FF5-86D843A167E3.jpeg
    5777DF1C-26C4-485C-8FF5-86D843A167E3.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 34E89D85-DE5C-4741-8038-8A4760FB51E7.jpeg
    34E89D85-DE5C-4741-8038-8A4760FB51E7.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
R

Renshi8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - it seems the ritteri is fine today! The BTA is still under the rock below it. I am running carbon through a reactor and will keep doing that for sure! I'm just in "awe" of the clowns finally hosting it, and "waiting" until something triggered their interest. It is strange that none of the other clowns aren't hosting the BTA though, but I digress!

Thank you all!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back