Ritteri Anemone Care

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some tips forkeeping a Magnifica Ritteri anemone alive. I'm split on either keeping it or just shipping it to someone for free.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to watch it for signs of distress. A lot of them develop bacteria infections in transit that can be treated with cipro.
You can search the anemone thread for care and treatment.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to watch it for signs of distress. A lot of them develop bacteria infections in transit that can be treated with cipro.
You can search the anemone thread for care and treatment.
I'll look through those forums. Thanks!

It looks pretty healthy, no tears, the mouth is not gaping, and the foot is sticky. Is it possible for it to eat fish? I only have a yellow tang and two clowns in an 88g.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually provide a host for clowns, if the clowns decide that's a good place to go, so the clowns are safe. I doubt the yellow tang will go near it. It will climb to the highest point on your rock work to get near the light provided there is some flow there.

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a ritteri for the longest, by far my favorite anemone. IMO it is the easiest anemone to get to host clowns. As lapin said, they try to climb to the top and find high flow so to make it easier on you, try to put it there from the start. I used to have one on the highest point of my rock work but on a relatively flat rock and it was kind of in front of Gyre, never moved. It's a beautiful anemome but expect it to take up a lot of real estate.

20170621_152924.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Magnifica (Ritteri is the old scientific name) is NOT an animal for the novice though. Quite hardy once acclimated and established, but a bear to get through shipping and acclimation. As noted, the majority of newly acquired mags will be infected and go through inflation/deflation cycles before expiring. You must be prepared with treatment facilities and have a spot in the display specifically for the anemone (high light and strong flow). Once happy and established, they get huge quickly.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Magnifica (Ritteri is the old scientific name) is NOT an animal for the novice though. Quite hardy once acclimated and established, but a bear to get through shipping and acclimation. As noted, the majority of newly acquired mags will be infected and go through inflation/deflation cycles before expiring. You must be prepared with treatment facilities and have a spot in the display specifically for the anemone (high light and strong flow). Once happy and established, they get huge quickly.
How much flow? Can I have a power head blowing water right at it? If it’s tentacles are all being pushed is that okay?

Any other overall tips? Thank you so much

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check out the anemone forum here on R2R. I cannot recall if the treatment thread is here also; if not it’s on Reef Central. Flow should not be unrelenting, rather chaotic. Tentacles being moved around is good .... just not whipped around. Mostly they’ll move if not happy.

72032BEC-467F-41B2-923B-79880F4E73C8.png

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is healthy, they are easy to keep. I built a pedestal for it. I used Marco cement to smooth out a flat rock. Which is cemented to a smaller rock and that is cement to a larger base rock. I have 3 power heads blowing across the top of it. I have it in a dedicated nen tank.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights have been off for a little. It is definitely VERY deflated.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inflate/deflate cycles will get worse until it’s a pile of goo. Typically it’ll look good in the morning but by the afternoon/evening it will look shriveled and deflated. Will recover by the morning and repeat the cycle. Unless it gets antibiotic treatment it’s a goner.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Magnifica (Ritteri is the old scientific name) is NOT an animal for the novice though. Quite hardy once acclimated and established, but a bear to get through shipping and acclimation. As noted, the majority of newly acquired mags will be infected and go through inflation/deflation cycles before expiring. You must be prepared with treatment facilities and have a spot in the display specifically for the anemone (high light and strong flow). Once happy and established, they get huge quickly

Such a true statement.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back