60g Cube

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for 365...

I put the skimmer back online, I think the GHA started when I turned off the skimmer before I went away for a week in early April. Last weekend I tore into the tank because the GHA was starting to take over the lower rocks and I ended up removing a large piece from the left side.

The other problem I was having was with the nano overflow. I found it overflowing the tank one time, luckily it was just barely going over the top. I think it had something to do with the air trapped in the emergency OF pipe that was submerged in the sump water. Idk. But I learned that I wasnt using the Herbie style OF correctly and I'm working on plumbing it properly now, just got a gate valve yesterday to control the siphon OF. Right now it's working but it's surging like crazy and really really loud.

Plans for this weekend are installing the gate valve, and mounting all of the corals I had to cut off the rock I removed. Plus rearrange the rocks a bit.

At any rate here are a few pics I just took.
20190607_171739.jpg
20190607_171728.jpg
20190607_171749-01.jpeg
Nice build! Congrats on 365!

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190914_210037.jpg

First step done. I got rid of almost half the rock that was in the display. I drilled and used PVC pipe as posts for 2 of the rocks on the right side so there are some cool overhangs and the center is open to the top. Makes for a lot more swimming space, and way more open sand.

What do you think?

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @hdsoftail1065. I really got into the sand while all of the rocks were out, I didn't know to rinse out the sand first when I set up the tank so there was a lot of fine dust trapped in there.

I also organized the coral better this time around, grouped similar corals together and isolated the encrusting montis to some extent. Got my fuge running again too. I think I started getting all of the GHA problems when I took the fuge offline in the spring. Combine that with less rock in the DT for better flow and light distribution and I might be on to something.

Hopefully the end result is a cleaner ecosystem, but we shall see.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape is very interesting for a single structure. I really love it.

Thanks man. I was planning on doing 2 pillars but the foundation rock is huge, and it's a nice big branching piece of LR. So there are caves that go straight through from one side to the other, and the center us open to the top, like a donut shape almost. I didn't want to cram too much rock in again, so kept it more simple than I planned. Overall I'm happy with it, the 2 pics I posted don't really do it justice. Once the coral start opening up and I dial in the light I'll take a few more pics that show the scape better.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blank slate:
20190918_103438.jpg

I decided to go a different route with the nano, rather than use it for frags I want to do a true nano habitat with little creatures that would do well in there:
20190918_140120.jpg

This time I was smart and I cleaned out the sand very well before using it ;)

So far there is a pom pom crab, and 2 sexy shrimp in there. Any suggestions for other little guys that will do well in a nano? Was thinking about a couple RFAs after being inspired by @hdsoftail1065 wife's tank.

I found a good deal on a used Kessil A160 and a MP10 that I'm picking up in a day or 2. The MP10 is added flow for the 60g, but I was going to use the A160 on the nano.

Back