RO/DI, auto dosing systems, ect. How many of you guys use it?

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for my fellow reefers... how many of you guys use these systems? Have a full RO/DI setup, auto-dosing/controllers system.... I recently discovered auto water change systems too. Wow.
We have a 45g w/20g refugium.... for now. Thinking of doing an RO/DI system in the near future.... is it worth it? Is the water bill significantly higher? Been doing some research as what to do with the waste water too... thats my biggest reservation with those systems... wasting water.
Also wondering when an auto doser/controller system is worth it. We dose by hand now and everything is flourishing- GHA included :( -but I can see a bigger tank in the future.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI water from LFS. I wanna say its around .50 a gallon.
How far is the LFS and do they change the filters often? If so that should be fine.

A doser is nice to have. You don’t need a super fancy set up like trident and apex dos and all that, there are cheaper alternatives to just dose if you are fine with manually testing every few days.

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far is the LFS and do they change the filters often? If so that should be fine.

A doser is nice to have. You don’t need a super fancy set up like trident and apex dos and all that, there are cheaper alternatives to just dose if you are fine with manually testing every few days.

They are about 6-7 miles from the house.... for now. We live in a rental and plan to move further away from the city in the next year or so, hence why I am considering investing in an RO/DI system. Honestly, I have no idea about the filter changes, But have not had a problem with the tank so far since I started using their water so that's a plus.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about 6-7 miles from the house.... for now. We live in a rental and plan to move further away from the city in the next year or so, hence why I am considering investing in an RO/DI system. Honestly, I have no idea about the filter changes, But have not had a problem with the tank so far since I started using their water so that's a plus.
Oh I see. Yeah, it might be worth it then to invest in one. I would get the doser over that though if your current situation with the water supply isn’t an issue. Casually browse the dry goods selling forum on here, people sell Rodi units from time to time, sometimes with new or unused filters for like 50% retail cost. Same goes for dosers.

Clicked your profile, saw you were from Phoenix! I’m a Phoenix native myself! Born and raised in Tempe. My parents still live there in north Phoenix, anthem/Nor Terra Area. Lots of great houses out there. Let me know if you need a realtor when the time comes to buy, I know several great ones in the valley that specialize in all different areas!

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t want to put the health of my tank in the hands of some guy at the LFS. Another worry for me would be that if I find myself in a situation where I need to do a large water change and the LFS is closed, then you’re screwed.

Dosing manually will be a problem if you have to be away from the tank for any extended period of time.
Like Hemmdog said, don’t worry about tridents, alcatronic etc, get yourself a decent dozer and you’re good to go :)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back