RO/DI buddy not funtioning properly?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, the prefilters prepare the water for the membrane so the membrane can do its work. The prefilters probably removed the larger solids that then allowed the membrane to do the remainder.

Again I was wrong in saying that they remove an abundant amount of TDS however, they remove some.
I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just saying that adding quality prefilters to my RO Buddie extended the life of the DI resin significantly. My conclusion has always been that there was chlorine getting through the RO Buddie prefilters that was attacking the RO membrane and putting additional load on the DI resin. To that end, quality prefilters achieved my goal in extending resin useful life.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up buying a higher quality Ro/Di system?

Yea, I broke down and bought the Brs 5 stage. The DI Lasts me about 150 or so gallons now

Regardless if the prefilters remove tds or not the things they do remove chlorine for instance will exhaust the di resin a ton faster.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I broke down and bought the Brs 5 stage. The DI Lasts me about 150 or so gallons now

Regardless if the prefilters remove tds or not the things they do remove chlorine for instance will exhaust the di resin a ton faster.
The chlorine will also attack and enlarge the pores in the RO membrane, reducing the overall rejection efficiency.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just saying that adding quality prefilters to my RO Buddie extended the life of the DI resin significantly. My conclusion has always been that there was chlorine getting through the RO Buddie prefilters that was attacking the RO membrane and putting additional load on the DI resin. To that end, quality prefilters achieved my goal in extending resin useful life.
What ones did you buy?

it says replace membrane every two years I think. Maybe I need to do sooner?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy showing 3 tds

just replaced sediment di and carbon
So, first of all...3 ppm TDS is not something to freak about. Find out what's going wrong and replace the defective parts. I would bet that you cannot tell the difference in your reef at 3ppm TDS versus 0ppm TDS. Unless the water quality issue is causing you obvious, detrimental issues, I would monitor TDS and ensure it is not increasing or causing you issues. Next, systematically eliminate the sediment filter, block carbon, and then RO membrane as issues. If you replace them in that order, it will minimize the cost associated with your issue.

spicerak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO Buddie works great for me. My tap is only 150 ppm though. I also bought a different membrane for it.

Whats your TDS before the DI? You can buy resin on amazon and refill the carts to save.
Hey im reading over 100 after i make water do you know why? Thanks

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the premium carbon filters on line that say they are good for a year. I have not had to change anything in a long while.
Aquaboon premium
20220823_150901.jpg

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro buddy lasted me 400 gallons then I just replaced the di filter and it did not last long. Then the water came out faster
It took 2 hours for 5 gallons of good water then 1.5 hours so I know the ro filter was not good .then I replaced the ro and sediment but I got coconut charcoal the premium filter . Back to normal again!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a container that had saltwater in it before you put your rodi water in it you will read high tds. Just saying.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back