RO/DI for drinking and aquarium set up

VM_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-stage-di-dual-5-system-diagrams.png
Hello all,
I just purchased this 5/6 stage RO/DI system from Maxwater. It has dual output already configured. See diagram. My question is, does DI require the pressure tank ?

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a similar setup but with full size DI canisters. The pressure tank/reservoir is not required for DI. Many setups have no such device. That's just to make enough for several glasses of water.
One thing you should consider especially with such a small DI filter is TDS creep. When you use the RO for drinking water the filter is turning off/on every time you fill a glass. Since it takes a bit for RO to produce nearly 0 TDS the first few minutes will be a little to a lot higher. All of that higher TDS is going into the reservoir and when you release it through your DI it will deplete the resin much faster. You can do one of two things. You can turn off the reservoir when making aquarium water or you can flush the reservoir a few times with new RO water so it's nearly 0 again.
Mine can have well over 50TDS in the reservoir so that's why I always flush it out first or just turn it off so I'm not buying resin constantly.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a system with full size (10" I think) canisters for di resin. I also use it for drinking. All I did was add a tee after the membrane so one line goes to the pressure tank for drinking and the other to the first DI canister. I run multiple canisters of di so when the first is depleted I still get 0 tds output for mixing salt water. The first chamber of resin is normally the only one I need to replace.

If you haven't already installed this system you may want to consider plumbing in a full size canister or two for di resin.

Upvote 0

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. Drinking too much RODI water will strip your body of minerals.
This is an old wives tale btw. People have been drinking RO water for decades with no problems. You don't get any benefit from drinking city/well water over RO water or anything "infused" for that matter either. Your kidneys simply process the bulk of it out. Not to say some of the elements don't remain but most do not.

It is true however that DI water tastes bad to most people which is why it's not consumed without adding minerals back in for taste.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back