Ro/di output is slow but high on waste water

Chuck gutshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ro/do unit started pumping out 5 gallons of waste water to less then a half a gallon of clean water. I changes out the ro membrain and the fiber filter. And after 10 gallons of clean water it is hasnt changed it waste output. Would the ro buddy help with that. I use to fill a clean bucket in 45 min or so. Now it takes hours. I believe it to be bad house water pressure.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like not enough water pressure. Sometimes a smaller flow restrictor can help but might be at the cost of membrane getting used up quicker

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running cold water. I turned on hot water and in 5 minutes it's running better thank you

I would not run hot water in it. I meant water temperature can be much colder in the winter then the summer especially after a long cold spell.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your water pressure is running through the unit? If it is lower (less than 60) I would consider a booster pump. I get around 92 with my booster pump and get right around the rated capacity (150GPD).

OP
OP
C

Chuck gutshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your water pressure is running through the unit? If it is lower (less than 60) I would consider a booster pump. I get around 92 with my booster pump and get right around the rated capacity (150GPD).
I do not know my pressure. But putting on hot water made it run more efficiently

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know my pressure. But putting on hot water made it run more efficiently
As already stated, don't run hot water through the unit!! It will destroy the membrane.
Look into adding a pressure gauge and decide if you need a booster pump

OP
OP
C

Chuck gutshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already stated, don't run hot water through the unit!! It will destroy the membrane.
Look into adding a pressure gauge and decide if you need a booster pump
Its not pure hot water. It is hot and cold and it is about 72 degrees

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not pure hot water. It is hot and cold and it is about 72 degrees
Are you able to regulate the temperature perfectly so it doesn't get hotter than 77f?
Most membranes will fail near there, and it apparently doesn't take long to ruin it.
It's your money and we're only trying to help.

Your best option is to get a pressure gauge and, if your source water is below 60psi, get a booster pump.
You will see SO MUCH better waste vs permeate water production if your water is cold and pressurized.

Because of your hot water use, keep any eye on your TDS after the membrane in case it's been compromised

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ro/do unit started pumping out 5 gallons of waste water to less then a half a gallon of clean water. I changes out the ro membrain and the fiber filter. And after 10 gallons of clean water it is hasnt changed it waste output. Would the ro buddy help with that. I use to fill a clean bucket in 45 min or so. Now it takes hours. I believe it to be bad house water pressure.
Get a booster pump system, I switched tho a booster and a can thing, it looks like a little propane tank. Now I can do 30 gallons a day (a trash can) no problem.

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue like this when I first hooked mine up. BRS has a gauge with the fittings (I’m lazy) for like 15 bucks and you could grab the inline dual tds meter for another 25-30, get free shipping, and better diagnose your problem! I was running over 100psi through without the gauge and never knew!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe too late but I bought something like this to measure water pressure at the source.

fishboy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced all the filters and I use a speed booster and all I get is 25psi.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210225_102131.jpg

Adjustable valve on the waste line to DIAL-IN the 4:1 ratio

4g of waste to 1g RODI

I have to re-dial mine all the time base on the Season and how cold the water is thats being supplied

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back