RO/DI system quick question. Does it pull nitrates out of tap water?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend with 40ppm nitrates straight out of the tap both hot and cold water.
Does the AQUALIFE 50GPD RO BUDDIE AND DI pull nitrates out and down to 0?
Any suggestions to help fix that would be appreciated. They are wanting to mix their own salt.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO/DI system uses several ways to get stuff out of water. First, there is a mechanical filter that will take out larger particles in the water. Next you have carbon blocks that take out organic compounds, some of your nitrates might be organic fertilizer and the carbon should take some of them out. Next is the RO membrane. It has small, really small, pores that mainly let water through. A few of the ions in the water make it through also. Finally the DI part takes over and pulls any ions that are still in the water out. At the end you are left with just water.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO/DI system uses several ways to get stuff out of water. First, there is a mechanical filter that will take out larger particles in the water. Next you have carbon blocks that take out organic compounds, some of your nitrates might be organic fertilizer and the carbon should take some of them out. Next is the RO membrane. It has small, really small, pores that mainly let water through. A few of the ions in the water make it through also. Finally the DI part takes over and pulls any ions that are still in the water out. At the end you are left with just water.

Nicely explained! PS: I made the trip to Reef to Rift today. You're quite fortunate to have such a LFS so local.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should clean the water up very well as long as the filters and membrane are not trashed. I used to reef when I had extremely bad well water with average of 490ppm coming in. Of course I had to have several filters along the way and dual DI.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggested that one being a cheaper one. Plus I seen someone else talking about it and they mentioned it works good for them. The person I know has a 29g. So no need for the extremely high gpd. I knew what was in the cartridges. Just needed to hear from experience if it was going to get it down to zero. Now it is a matter of shopping.
Is that the best one for that price of around $65-$75 that has the DI also?
I was putting myself more in their shoes about easiest access of getting cartridges at like a Petco for when they need new filters.
Funny thing is. I got their tank to take their 40ppm down to 20ppm in 3 days. It treats water better than their water treatment plant. Hahaha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back