ro/di warter storage

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you store your ro/di water in?Do you test the TDS after it has set a few days?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell you the truth I have always wondered what is the best container to store RO/DI water is?

I keep mine in two different containers. An orange home depot bucket with a lid, and a few distilled water containers from the grocery store. They both range around 1ppm with my TDS meter so I am not too worried about them at this time. I mainly test my TDS when I am making water so I don't know what the difference is after a few days.

If I had a large tank or system I would buy one of those brute 55g trash cans. Run a few gallons of RO/DI discharge through them, then use them to store my good RO/DI water.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 5 gal water jugs and geting 0 ppm when making the water.After it has set a few days the TDS on one jug was at 37 ppm the other at 100 ppm.I have read of plastic leaching something that will cause high readings but can't remember where I read this at.

Can you guys test your water after it has set a few days and see what readings you get?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 5 gal water jugs and geting 0 ppm when making the water.After it has set a few days the TDS on one jug was at 37 ppm the other at 100 ppm.I have read of plastic leaching something that will cause high readings but can't remember where I read this at.

Can you guys test your water after it has set a few days and see what readings you get?

I've heard of the exact same thing.

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Brute

I use 2 32 gallon Big Brute Barbage cans from Lowes. 1 for RO and one for salt. The 22 uses about 3-5 gallons of RO a day so it roles through the can pretty fast.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.....now I have not cal'd my hand held in a while due to having the built in dual TDS meters on the RO unit... it read 83ppm.... guess I'll try to unhook the built in unit and try some readings tomorrow..

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.....now I have not cal'd my hand held in a while due to having the built in dual TDS meters on the RO unit... it read 83ppm.... guess I'll try to unhook the built in unit and try some readings tomorrow..

was that on water that has been setting for a few days?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a big rubbermaid container that holds about 25 gal. Don't have a TDS meter but may get one on the next RO/DI unit I get.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with the rubbermaid Brute. You can only make the thing leak by drilling holes in it :D I went through a couple of cheapies that leaked, now I have 3 Brutes...

If you need a bigger reservoir than a 45, check out http://www.usplastics.com they have huge sizes available...expensive though.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with the rubbermaid Brute. You can only make the thing leak by drilling holes in it :D I went through a couple of cheapies that leaked, now I have 3 Brutes...

If you need a bigger reservoir than a 45, check out http://www.usplastics.com they have huge sizes available...expensive though.

i have gotten 37 gallon cylinder tanks from there for like 85 shipped, and they come with a lid, and are only18' diamter; i've also got a 55 gallon that works well

rodi water is like flypaper, so empty that it attracts free floating ions which is why it needs to be kept closed and in plastic that won't leech

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have gotten 37 gallon cylinder tanks from there for like 85 shipped, and they come with a lid, and are only18' diamter; i've also got a 55 gallon that works well

rodi water is like flypaper, so empty that it attracts free floating ions which is why it needs to be kept closed and in plastic that won't leech

You bring up a good point.The jug that was at 37 ppm was caped off as soon as it was made the other one @100 ppm was left open. I lost the lid:p

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

got me on that one.....I forgot that I use Kent Osmo-Prep in my RO... so I'm not sure what it reads after a couple days

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back