RO/DI & well water - around Houston, TX

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening everyone! So, I moved out into the country last year and am now on a (new construction) water well. While I'm waiting on my new Waterbox to arrive, I've hooked up an RO/DI unit outside to a hose spigot (I flooded my last house one too many times leaving the RO unit on, so that was one big "NO" from my wife with the RO unit inside :oops:). I've literally read hundreds of posts on R2R and other forums. Just wanted y'alls feedback on my current situation.

I purchased a new BRS 5 stage and got everything running. The finished water was 0 TDS using a hand held TDS meter. GREAT I thought, but then looked at the DI resin and after only 30 or so gallons was depleted about 3" from blue to gold...... So I started researching and immediately put the blame on CO2 from my 500ft deep well. I started looking up off-gassing using yet another Brute can and an aerator for 24-48 hours. I was okay with this solution, but for the heck of it, I decided to check my TDS right after the RO and before the DI.

Well water - 323
Pre-DI water - 46
Final water - 0

Based of the stated 98% rejection rate, I should be closer to 7-10 ppm after the RO filter alone (since CO2 won't register on TDS). So perhaps I do have a CO2 issue as well, but the high TDS reading shows something else is at play. Would low water pressure effect the RO TDS output this much? I don't have a pressure gauge yet, but I'm almost certain my water pressure is lower than the recommended 50psi for the membrane to work properly (my well pressure gauge ranges from 40 to 60 psi). I've already ordered a booster pump, so I should have the pressure issue resolved soon - but I tend to over worry about things and am just trying to prepare myself mentally for all the additional things I might need. Any input from fellow reefers on water wells? Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it gets much better with the booster pump. I have the same BRS 5 stage. Make sure to flush the membranes for 5 minutes before use. It'll help with longevity also.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that your low pressure (say 40 or so) would have that much affect on TDS out of the membrane, but I could be wrong...

Can say that family property out in Schulenberg has some nasty af water though.

Would second the booster pump, and if it comes to it and you need to store water first in a Brute to off-gas that pump will come in handy.

OP
OP
warped_insanity

warped_insanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update - I think I have a faulty RO membrane.

I installed a Smart Buddie Booster pump a few days ago and things got better, but I was still getting about a 93% rejection rate.

Well water - 323
Pre-DI water - 21
Final water - 0

Support from BRS had asked me to unroll the membrane to look for damage and to be sure it was seated properly. I did this and still got the same results. They also asked me to get two buckets and measure the waste water to RO output, which I also did. It's about 1:1 which leads me to believe the RO membrane has to be faulty - would you all agree?

My tank is coming in a few days, so I went ahead and ordered a new membrane. If it does work then hopefully BRS will give me a refund (or at least store credit) for my current membrane.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ur just worring. Id see how long my di lasted or how long i could make 0tds water before i started trying to improve my water making capabilities.
Mayne that bottom 3" is the only di resin that made contact? Idk i dont really watch my rodi that closely. The unit as i make water.
D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back