Ro help - membrane break in period or bad membrane?

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone i think i got shipped bad membranes. same unit 5 years. Switched all filters many times.
old membrane currently 10tds. Was around 4tds when new so time to switch.
Got new filters and membranes
flush sediment and carbon first to clear carbon dust from new filter
run through ro flush for 15 min then closed flush and made ro water for like 3 hrs. Tds only dropped to 24.

does the membrane need more time to soak up and break in or are these just bad membranes.

i havnt even put it through di yet because 24tds water would waste di too fast.
i removed new membranes and put back old membrane and after 2 min was getting 10 tds. so i know theres something wrong with new membrane. In five years ive switched them atleast 3 times and never had a break in period this long. Usually i run it about 1 hr and its good.

should i leave the new membranes running longer or try to return them ?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone i think i got shipped bad membranes. same unit 5 years. Switched all filters many times.
old membrane currently 10tds. Was around 4tds when new so time to switch.
Got new filters and membranes
flush sediment and carbon first to clear carbon dust from new filter
run through ro flush for 15 min then closed flush and made ro water for like 3 hrs. Tds only dropped to 24.

does the membrane need more time to soak up and break in or are these just bad membranes.

i havnt even put it through di yet because 24tds water would waste di too fast.
i removed new membranes and put back old membrane and after 2 min was getting 10 tds. so i know theres something wrong with new membrane. In five years ive switched them atleast 3 times and never had a break in period this long. Usually i run it about 1 hr and its good.

should i leave the new membranes running longer or try to return them ?

I'd ensure it is seated correctly and fully in the housing, and while you have it out inspect the rubber gasket to ensure it's not damaged.

There's always a chance you got a defective one, but it doesn't hurt to try the above.

The only other thing would be a longer break-in which may be needed if the membrane is dry. Did you get a wet membrane or dry shipped?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. i tried making sure its properly inserted several times and looked over all my lines im pretty certain thats not it. Physically looks fine to me no issues on the gaskets. I put the old membranes in and getting lower tds then new membranes.

was shipped dry as can be but they usually are as far as i remember.

was getting desperate for water so im using the old membrane with 10 tds so i can fill up 30g and ill try giving it a 24 hr break in after that.

i wrapped the new membranes in plastic and put in the fridge. I read that in some thread.

150gpd brs unit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back