RO newbie question

Wisperin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am just starting with my first tank and I am doing some testing to see how my equipment works and water flows before I start cycling
To test my pump and heater I have decided to make some RO water and fill my tank (no rock/sand in)

So after making all RO water I need I have no idea what to do now with my RO system
By holding it I can see that there is still water in it and I am not sure should I try to open and drain the water from inside or do I just let it stay in there
I will also not need to make new water now for the next 2 weeks so I don't know will that promote bacteria growing in the system
I did try to search a bit but most of the info I found was how to clean it after longer use
I have a Amazon RO system and I can open the middle membrane part to drain some water from it

So how do you use your RO?
Is it better to use it more often and make smaller quantity of water or should I make more water in one go

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't speak German, but looking at that Amazon link, it doesn't look like that system has a DI filter on it. You'll want to make sure you are making RODI water, not just RO water.
As far as running the unit, I run it and make my water, then turn it off and walk away. When I start it up again, I let it run for a few minutes to let the higher TDS stuff flow out.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am just starting with my first tank and I am doing some testing to see how my equipment works and water flows before I start cycling
To test my pump and heater I have decided to make some RO water and fill my tank (no rock/sand in)

So after making all RO water I need I have no idea what to do now with my RO system
By holding it I can see that there is still water in it and I am not sure should I try to open and drain the water from inside or do I just let it stay in there
I will also not need to make new water now for the next 2 weeks so I don't know will that promote bacteria growing in the system
I did try to search a bit but most of the info I found was how to clean it after longer use
I have a Amazon RO system and I can open the middle membrane part to drain some water from it

Is it better to use it more often and make smaller quantity of water or should I make more water in one go
Once you have your RO water, next you mix your salt into it.

Do not do this inside your tank, not even the very first time. Use a bucket or trash can depending how much RO + saltwater you are mixing at a time.

I have some info within my build thread, post #2

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do not do this inside your tank, not even the very first time. Use a bucket or trash can depending how much RO + saltwater you are mixing at a time.

They are asking about the RO system, not making saltwater.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't speak German, but looking at that Amazon link, it doesn't look like that system has a DI filter on it. You'll want to make sure you are making RODI water, not just RO water.
As far as running the unit, I run it and make my water, then turn it off and walk away. When I start it up again, I let it run for a few minutes to let the higher TDS stuff flow out.
you can retrofit/add a DI filter on it as newbie goes along

depending local water condition, there may be more modifications but he's started and on his way

he's a zillion times ahead of all those people out there using straight tap with Prime LOL

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

water INSIDE RO system, just leave it.

In fact, my final cartridge takes up to 14 days to fill when I change cartridges every 6 months (when my TDS meter starts reading over 3)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

You mention you can "hold" it and see water inside - if you don't have it mounted and can open over sink, then you can also drain it for storage between uses.

I took a board, attached it to studs in my laundry room, mounted my RODI system to board, tied into laundry room plumbing (not everyone has these skills with copper pipe), and leave my system in place - which also means water remains in place.

To save my final cartridges theoretically a bit of wear and tear, when I start my system, first I run out some water to waste line before closing waste line and opening line directing to my storage tank

OP
OP
W

Wisperin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention you can "hold" it and see water inside - if you don't have it mounted and can open over sink, then you can also drain it for storage between uses.
Yea my flat/bathroom is not quite big enough to have it mounted anywhere. I just connect it to the sink and let the RO water drain in a bucket and waste to the drain.

Thanks for the answer. I will try to drain some water from it and store it until I need it again
Will also let it run a bit before I start taking water to rinse it

And yea this was used just for the test of the flow and temp in the tank. Will mix the salt at a later date
Also DI will be a later upgrade since the budget is already spent
Will give more info when I have my Build thread posted

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back