RO water. Did I goof?

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a 5 stage RO system and filled my tank with it. I just learned that there is a difference between RODI and RO water. My understanding is that I need RODI water. Do I need to start over with RODI water? I'm still trying to cycle my tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 5 stage RO system and filled my tank with it. I just learned that there is a difference between RODI and RO water. My understanding is that I need RODI water. Do I need to start over with RODI water? I'm still trying to cycle my tank.
If you've bought it, then I don't know that its worth the investment in another system.... why not wait and see how things go.

If you've done searching on RO vs RODI, then likely you've come across many similar posts, and post #2 here is nice way to sum up difference:

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My TDS is right at 5ppm. Doing research, most post say water should be below 5. Maybe I'm overthinking it? In the long run, I will get a deionization unit. Just wondering if the 5ppm water will hurt the cycling process?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 stage should include DI media (3 stage is usually sediment filter, carbon block filter and RO membran - sometimes there's an additional carbon block to make 4 stage) - 5 really should add in DI resin - usually mixed.

Do you have a canister filled with tiny little blue or purple beads? If so, then you're pumping out RODI.

Check your RO (RODI) with a TDS meter - should be 1 ppm (or less) regardless. If so, you're good. If you don't have a TDS test - get one.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had RODI unit, I bought RO from the grocery store and used it without issue.

Makes sure your RO isn't using the small filter at the end to add 'taste' back. Drinking water ones sometimes have these. I probably wouldn't be storing it in the metal container they come with either. Just a thought.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Quietman... Never heard of a 5 stage RO that didn't include DI.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way will it affect your cycle. its for algae control ideals long term, the rodi

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RO is better than tap or distilled. Still useable. One thing you are not adding at this time is presence of silicates. At some point you want to add Di resin and deonizize impurities.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a good 5 stage is fine place to start. I started with 4 stage and had to add additional resin beds to get down to <1 ppm. No sense wasting money on 7 stage right off the bat. Easy enough to add on additional. Also, the system has to run for I think it's 50 gallons to break in the RO membrane (someone check me on that).

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the unit that I have. Looking at the questions on Amazon, it does not look like it has deionization.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just installed a triple line TDS monitor. I couldn't figure out where the 2nd line should go. That's how I even figured out that there is a difference between RO and RODI water. Learning so much in this hobby. :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TDS is right at 5ppm. Doing research, most post say water should be below 5. Maybe I'm overthinking it? In the long run, I will get a deionization unit. Just wondering if the 5ppm water will hurt the cycling process?

TDS 5 is where I change out by cartridges on my RODI, but others change at 1. Being at TDS 5 will not hurt cycle.

Glad to hear in the long run you'll get a RODI for tank. When you do that, maybe move the RO to kitchen sink for humans :) My fish get much better water than humans in our household (giggle)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have DI. Easy enough to add DI resin canisters as needed. Wait until break in period...see what you have. At 5 ppm, you may get by with just a mixed bed single canister or go without depending on type of tank (Fish Only for example).

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a good 5 stage is fine place to start. I started with 4 stage and had to add additional resin beds to get down to <1 ppm. No sense wasting money on 7 stage right off the bat. Easy enough to add on additional. Also, the system has to run for I think it's 50 gallons to break in the RO membrane (someone check me on that).

my RODI needs to run for an hour when I change the cartridges and that 1st hour water needs to be thrown away - not in tank, not drunk by humans, not used for plants

OH GOOD CALL OUT ... and I just changed cartridges on 7/1 yet didn't think to post reminder....

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a brand new unit that I bought just for the tank. Installed in the garage so I didn't actually throw out the initial water that it made. I'm not drinking the water. Just used it for the tank. Another oopsies? lol I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out. I'll get the DI add-on before the water change after the tank cycles. According to Dr Tim's instructions it should be around day 14. I'm on day 3.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had RODI unit, I bought RO from the grocery store and used it without issue.

Makes sure your RO isn't using the small filter at the end to add 'taste' back. Drinking water ones sometimes have these. I probably wouldn't be storing it in the metal container they come with either. Just a thought.
Do you mean distilled? That’s what stores normally sell.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the unit that I have. Looking at the questions on Amazon, it does not look like it has deionization.

You might think a human drinking water system would be better than a marine Rodi system, but humans aren’t meant to drink rodi water as it’s stripped down to near enough pure water with no minerals etc which is not good for human, if I were you I would read up on what actual filters are in your unit, as it may not be removing enough TDS by design.
if they are a standard size easy enough to change the filters to more appropriate ones, and as said adding the di is easy to do.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean distilled? That’s what stores normally sell.

No. RO. You fill the jugs up yourself and they have dates posted of when they last changed their filters. Distilled would have been better but the store I went to, they sold ones with minerals added for taste.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think a human drinking water system would be better than a marine Rodi system, but humans aren’t meant to drink rodi water as it’s stripped down to near enough pure water with no minerals etc which is not good for human, if I were you I would read up on what actual filters are in your unit, as it may not be removing enough TDS by design.
if they are a standard size easy enough to change the filters to more appropriate ones, and as said adding the di is easy to do.
That's a good point. I remember shopping for people use RO unit once (didn't go fwd). The point I remember was that last block after the RO membrane was to add back in some minerals so it doesn't taste metallic. Look at the specs on your unit. Could be as simple as removing the last block. Still might need DI but it'll last longer if that last block is adding tds back in.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is easy to add a DI onto any RO system, and I'd do so rather than wait to see if there's a problem that may be hard to fix after the fact.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back