RO Water (Heating)

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I have a 20 gallon rubber Brute trashcan that I store my RO water. Should I put a heater in there? I just did a water change and had to heat 10 gallons. Just wandering if it make more sense to keep the RO heated, or can that cause problems?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5182.mov
    50.2 MB

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it would be a waste of electricity. If it is inside a temperature controlled room then no. If it is in a garage in a very cold climate, then I would heat it up a little before I used it.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t heat RO or replacement saltwater unless there’s a big temp difference between my tank and the new mix. I only change 10-15% of the water during a water change so the temperature change on the DT is negligible if it’s within a few degrees.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t heat RO or replacement saltwater unless there’s a big temp difference between my tank and the new mix. I only change 10-15% of the water during a water change so the temperature change on the DT is negligible if it’s within a few degrees.

ok thanks. the water in the RO container wa 75 and the water in my tank is 78. I have a 40 gallon so I changed out 10 gallons. So that is ok?

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it would be a waste of electricity. If it is inside a temperature controlled room then no. If it is in a garage in a very cold climate, then I would heat it up a little before I used it.

My RO is in my basement which does get cold in winter. And the water also coming out of the faucet in New York comes out extremely cold. So maybe in the warmer months is good but I am more worried about he colder months.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pump in there to circulate the water when you mix it? I find that if I let the pump run overnight, it warms the water up quite a bit. Actually, 1-2 degrees F more than I need.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks. the water in the RO container wa 75 and the water in my tank is 78. I have a 40 gallon so I changed out 10 gallons. So that is ok?
You’ll change the overall temp about 0.75 degrees which I don’t think is that big of a swing. Your heater might not even detect the change

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back