RO water or tap water?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why war? People have every right to screw up their own tanks. I used tap water. I screwed up my own tank.

Now I don't anymore. If you do this long enough you will know why not to use tap water. Then you will start over or quit.

I started over.

All you can do is tell them why not to use it.
the matrix there is no spoon GIF

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use decolorantes tap water for my QT tank (fish only) for 3 months? I don’t use RODI and I buy distilled bottled water since my aquarium is nano. I don’t want to be use in distilled water in a QT that I’ll be changing water in more than in the DT.

Thank you in advance!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use decolorantes tap water for my QT tank (fish only) for 3 months? I don’t use RODI and I buy distilled bottled water since my aquarium is nano. I don’t want to be use in distilled water in a QT that I’ll be changing water in more than in the DT.

Thank you in advance!
Tap water can already contain copper. Just make sure you keep that in mind when adding more. Will need to find out what's in your water to begin with.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably have to use at least RO, but find out what's in your tap.

I used to live in a place that had ultra soft rain water coming out of the tap. TDS was literally 18-20, nothing but the tiniest bit of chloramines.

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to live in a place that had ultra soft rain water coming out of the tap. TDS was literally 18-20, nothing but the tiniest bit of chloramines.
My dissolved solids are 11. I live in Vancouvers GVRD. They say we have the cleanest water in the world here probably due to all the rain we get as a rainforest coast. Our water comes from mountain reservoirs that form lakes or damns far away from the cities and away from any pollutants like crops and homes.

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and out water is some of the cleanest in the world. It’s mountain reservoirs that’s why. I just tested the TDS in PPM and it’s 18.

We don’t use chloramine in Vancouver only chlorine. :)

Should that be ok for 3 months? PH is 8 out the tap. Most of my fish (but one) were tank raised also.

does anyone see a reason that the tap water would be detrimental for 3 months while the DT fallows? It seems like such a short period of time to me for fish only QT.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dissolved solids are 11. I live in Vancouvers GVRD. They say we have the cleanest water in the world here probably due to all the rain we get as a rainforest coast. Our water comes from mountain reservoirs that form lakes or damns far away from the cities and away from any pollutants like crops and homes.

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and out water is some of the cleanest in the world. It’s mountain reservoirs that’s why. I just tested the TDS in PPM and it’s 18.

Should that be ok for 3 months? PH is 8 out the tap. Most of my fish (but one) were tank raised also.

does anyone see a reason that the tap water would be detrimental for 3 months while the DT fallows? It seems like such a short period of time to me for fish only QT.

I was a few hours south of vancouver, but same kind of water. I miss it.

Honestly it should be fine for QT.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper comes from your own pipes. I would not assume it is ok for corals, but is likely fine for fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back