Ro water reservoir question /silicone help

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so I transformed a 55 gallon plastic drum into a reservoir when I had first started up my tank about 2 years ago. I had made the design flaw of drilling the hole for my bulkhead on the side of the drum where it is curved. I hadn't had any issues with it leaking until recently. I decided it would be worth a shot tightening the bulkhead a little and that didnt work. Then I decided to put silicone around the bulkhead to create a better seal. When I did this, I didnt realize I had gotten the wrong silicone which in the fine print said "mold free". Now I'm trying to remove the bad silicone and put on the right stuff. My problem is, I cant get the bulkhead loosened up now. It doesnt matter to me how clean it looks, but was wondering if I were to remove as much of the wrong silicone as I can and reapply the right silicone, if it would hold and would it be ok to use

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the bulkhead completely and buy a uniseal. They are basically bulkheads designed for curved surfaces.

I would get as much of the silicone off as you can.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I've never seen one of those before. Guess ima have to order me one and try to get that bulkhead out

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using large channel lock pliers. Even if I had to take a dremel and cut the old bulkhead off I would. And like Homer said, replace with a uniseal.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using large channel lock pliers. Even if I had to take a dremel and cut the old bulkhead off I would. And like Homer said, replace with a uniseal.
I was just going to post that I would cut the bulkhead off.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the size is for the diameter of the hole?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back