Roadwolf's Questions

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenticles1.jpg

Photo 1: This one is hard to see, but it is a set of 6 tenticles, which appear to pull food into the center when they catch something. Wondering if it is a coral of some sort.

Brain1.jpg

Photo 2: These I am told are brain coral. I am wondering what the difference is between the lighter parts and the darker parts? Is one healthier than the other? Also, should I remove debris from on top of it?

worms.jpg

Photo 3: On the Left you see some clear tubes... In the center, under the brain coral, there are feathery dusters. I wonder if these may both be some sort of worm species?

sponge.jpg

Photo 4: The darker, dustier fur ball in the center of the photo used to be bright yellow. I was told it was a sponge. It must of died I imagine? There are some smaller yellow tufts around the area however, I wonder if they will survive? Also, the purple tuft has grown in the last week or so, and I wonder if it is a coraline algae growth, or something else?

polyps.jpg

Photo 5: These small polyps cover one of my live rocks. They have bright green tentacles which glow nicely under blue light. Does anyone know what kind of coral it is? My local store owner showed me, but I forget the name. He said it was a fairly common type. Sorry for the focus issues... this is the best I could do with the equipment I had.

Thanks for everyone who can help me discover :)

Last edited:

starreef05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenticles1.jpg

Photo 1: This one is hard to see, but it is a set of 6 tenticles, which appear to pull food into the center when they catch something. Wondering if it is a coral of some sort.

APTASIA, need to be removed as they spread like wildfire. Research as there are many ways to do so and pick what your comfortable with.

Brain1.jpg

Photo 2: These I am told are brain coral. I am wondering what the difference is between the lighter parts and the darker parts? Is one healthier than the other? Also, should I remove debris from on top of it?

The darker parts are currently alive, the white “lighter” parts are dead “bleached.”
I would fan off any debris on the darker parts.

worms.jpg

Photo 3: On the Left you see some clear tubes... In the center, under the brain coral, there are feathery dusters. I wonder if these may both be some sort of worm species?

Left is “POSSIBLY” A BALL ANEMONE. Center is a feather duster.

sponge.jpg

Photo 4: The darker, dustier fur ball in the center of the photo used to be bright yellow. I was told it was a sponge. It must of died I imagine? There are some smaller yellow tufts around the area however, I wonder if they will survive? Also, the purple tuft has grown in the last week or so, and I wonder if it is a coraline algae growth, or something else?

It was a sponge, that has died. Sponges CAN’T be out of water even for a second. It’s possible the others will die if exposed to air. The purple stuff is most likely coralline algae.

polyps.jpg

Photo 5: These small polyps cover one of my live rocks. They have bright green tentacles which glow nicely under blue light. Does anyone know what kind of coral it is? My local store owner showed me, but I forget the name. He said it was a fairly common type.

BABY GREEN STAR POLYPS, my suggestion is to make the rock on its own so it doesn’t spread too fast.

Hopes this helps!

OP
OP
SirRoadwolf

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine a pepperment shrimp would be the most natural way to deal with Aptasia? Tho, I imagine it wouldn't be the quickest way? And would a pepperment shrimp be detrimental to any of the other desirable inhabitants? I don't know for sure what kind of shrimp I already have? I don't think it is a pepperment? Here is a video I took of it...

Also, of note, the bleached out areas, are gradually getting browner day after day. I think originally the introduction to the tank stressed them, but they seem to be slowly recovering. If I look very closely I can still see little hairs in the whitest of the bleached area. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SirRoadwolf

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, is that indeed brain coral? If I had to guess, it looks like a stony coral / SPS? The star coral is probably a soft coral, i imagine.

Jack McManus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love peppermint shrimp for ridding aptasia. My tank used to be full of em and i put 3 peppermint shrimp in and they were all gone within a couple weeks. I recently found another a put a few more in because idk what happened to the others and it was gone the next day.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is Aiptasia; nasty nasty stuff. Get some berghia nudibranchs or use Aiptasia X. DO NOT SCRAPE IT

The coral is in the genus Porites (which species? Good question, but unfortunately there's no way to tell without a look at the corallites under the microscope and the exact location from where the rock came from; likely the Caribbean)

Clear tubes are tunicates which are marvelous little filter feeders that believe it or not are closely related to us, being chordates (they have a primitive spinal cord)

Can't tell what sponges you're referring to but love the algae growth (most people dont like red algae)

Polyps are likely in the genus Briareum, same genus as GSP but once again species ID can be a tad difficult (especially since even scientists like me have no idea what to do with their classification anymore)

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine a pepperment shrimp would be the most natural way to deal with Aptasia? Tho, I imagine it wouldn't be the quickest way? And would a pepperment shrimp be detrimental to any of the other desirable inhabitants? I don't know for sure what kind of shrimp I already have? I don't think it is a pepperment? Here is a video I took of it...

Also, of note, the bleached out areas, are gradually getting browner day after day. I think originally the introduction to the tank stressed them, but they seem to be slowly recovering. If I look very closely I can still see little hairs in the whitest of the bleached area. :)

Your shrimp is a Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus).

OP
OP
SirRoadwolf

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0029.JPG

The SPS Coral is prospering. I believe it is Porites Evermanni

The Aptasia hasn't spread, but also that single aptasia hasn't died yet. I did add some peppermint shrimp, but they haven't seemed to have found it yet.

The clear tubes seemed to have moved across the tank. They are growing slightly, and turning a slight clear / blue color. They are also fleshy.

The sponge that died, ended up re-growing. The yellow overcame the dead part. Surprised me a bit. I also found several other bits of various sponded which seemed to have been prospering.

The Green Star Polyps are still about the same. No real change.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back