Rob’s 30g Tonga Shroom Garden

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think they did. Also me taking the rocks out and scrubbing. I mean they aren’t going to completely solve the problem if you don’t have stuff under control but I see them picking at the rocks all day. They are great for smaller tanks where you can’t have tangs. I think they are better in blennys plus you can have large groups if you want. Supposedly the regular black ones are suppose to be the best for algae but these ballon ones are doing well for me.
Cool, glad they are working out. I may try to add a couple of the black ones at some point to see how they do. I’ve got some green algae that none of my cuc seems to want to touch. It’s not a bad outbreak, Vibrant and Nopox seem to be keeping my parameters in check but this one type of algae just won’t go all the way away. Not that I expect to have a totally algae free tank, especially with the way I feed. Thanks for the insight.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued some more acans up. I tried to get mix of colors of ones close to each other. It was kind of hard as most acans have reds in them but I think it turn out well.

Micros on the left of the Asian ones. I left plenty of space as they grow pretty fast. Still have a couple more micros to do.
7F7B5204-2D88-4305-BB5A-71FF5B25E6DB.jpeg

Then here are the lords I did on the middle rock. Some more to do as well and I’m out of room. Guess I’ll put a couple on the mushroom rock
AEC24A2C-D851-4855-9FDB-1067471867F9.jpeg

Group shot
05562826-3586-4C88-BB51-22058ED1724B.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued some more acans up. I tried to get mix of colors of ones close to each other. It was kind of hard as most acans have reds in them but I think it turn out well.

Micros on the left of the Asian ones. I left plenty of space as they grow pretty fast. Still have a couple more micros to do.
7F7B5204-2D88-4305-BB5A-71FF5B25E6DB.jpeg

Then here are the lords I did on the middle rock. Some more to do as well and I’m out of room. Guess I’ll put a couple on the mushroom rock
AEC24A2C-D851-4855-9FDB-1067471867F9.jpeg

Group shot
05562826-3586-4C88-BB51-22058ED1724B.jpeg
You know, it’s not like it’s a surprise or anything because I’m obviously familiar with your tanks, but man that’s a lot of acans. If I didn’t know this was a lagoon 25 I’d be certain this was a much larger tank. That’s a heck of a collection.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued a few more and started moving over some chalices. Waiting to see how these do before moving over my nicer ones.

Sold a ton of coral this weekend and then broke down and ordered 5 chalices and a favia lol

58B02C15-9905-447D-B703-DE8D86B362EB.jpeg

1072FE1D-8EE1-4D38-B8D4-E4B63EC1618E.jpeg
I see the clowns, Midas Benny and the cardinal. Are the green banded gobies in there somewhere too?

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the clowns, Midas Benny and the cardinal. Are the green banded gobies in there somewhere too?
They just slowly started disappearing. Not sure what happened to them. I had 3 at first and found 1 dead a few days later. Then one just went missing, the 3rd I saw for a long time but haven't seen him anymore. I had one green banded and a red headed in the 30g. The red headed lasted awhile and I still see he green banded now and then. Really a bummer because they are such cool fish.

In the lagoon I have a Midas, 2 clowns, a banggai, and 2 ballon mollies. Once I take down the 30g ill put in the green banded and am considering the fire fish. Not sure if that would be too many fish and how the fire fish and Midas would get along as they would probably fight over the few holes I have in the rock. My fire fish is very timid and the midas blenny is the king of the tank.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I’m dubbing mushroom ally

B9C4D9C4-28B5-4FA1-80F8-74663D9D202F.jpeg

The JB has been growing pretty well and starting to get some red
EC24B715-5B47-412C-A1A4-655B6DF4D6FF.jpeg

The Deadpool never really had that much purple/black. Really hoping some more develops. I think I may have spotted a baby
FB2E82AD-184B-4875-BAEF-64AB4576F189.jpeg

The Reef Kio bounce was growing on the bottom glass and the disk. I just pulled and ripped it and both sides healed and look good. The side that’s on the glass is a lot bigger. It also dropped a baby that is on the glass as well. The same thing happened to my green electus and they healed fine too
F7FA091D-6551-41FB-BD94-A5033577EC71.jpeg

The golden dragon bounce wasn’t doing good because of the light and nutrients. It used to look a lot better but I think it is coming back.
6555B0A5-3982-46B2-AC97-5EF585D61776.jpeg

Same thing with the raunchy red bounce, it wasn’t looking too hot but is coming back
785123D7-1D69-4727-9B08-66BAB62198DF.jpeg

The uranium bounce has been doing awesome and the bubbles are really starting to get big
9E7E3F9D-955A-48E9-B254-9AD5C7446EDB.jpeg

Plan is to put the electus/JB mushrooms on the rock as they don’t get quite as big and leave the bounces along this side. I still have some Neptune bounce babies, a candy crush, kryptonite and green electus I am keeping. All the other mushrooms Im just getting rid of. They grow too fast and I don’t really have the room.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I’m dubbing mushroom ally

B9C4D9C4-28B5-4FA1-80F8-74663D9D202F.jpeg

The JB has been growing pretty well and starting to get some red
EC24B715-5B47-412C-A1A4-655B6DF4D6FF.jpeg

The Deadpool never really had that much purple/black. Really hoping some more develops. I think I may have spotted a baby
FB2E82AD-184B-4875-BAEF-64AB4576F189.jpeg

The Reef Kio bounce was growing on the bottom glass and the disk. I just pulled and ripped it and both sides healed and look good. The side that’s on the glass is a lot bigger. It also dropped a baby that is on the glass as well. The same thing happened to my green electus and they healed fine too
F7FA091D-6551-41FB-BD94-A5033577EC71.jpeg

The golden dragon bounce wasn’t doing good because of the light and nutrients. It used to look a lot better but I think it is coming back.
6555B0A5-3982-46B2-AC97-5EF585D61776.jpeg

Same thing with the raunchy red bounce, it wasn’t looking too hot but is coming back
785123D7-1D69-4727-9B08-66BAB62198DF.jpeg

The uranium bounce has been doing awesome and the bubbles are really starting to get big
9E7E3F9D-955A-48E9-B254-9AD5C7446EDB.jpeg

Plan is to put the electus/JB mushrooms on the rock as they don’t get quite as big and leave the bounces along this side. I still have some Neptune bounce babies, a candy crush, kryptonite and green electus I am keeping. All the other mushrooms Im just getting rid of. They grow too fast and I don’t really have the room.
I like mushroom alley, those all look pretty cool. I’ve never really thought of going with mushrooms in my current tank, I’m all mushroomed out. I used to have a 100 gallon tank I bought from a client And the only coral in it was giant blueish purple mushrooms. I wasn’t doing coral back then so I never added anything else and in time the mushrooms became enormous and took over the whole tank. There must have been 200-300 of them and some were 6-8 Inches across. Biggest mushroom infestation you’ll ever see, I wish I had pictures, it was wild. Imagine a Xenia infestation, only it was mushroom coral. Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, Flame Angel and a Six Line Wrasse all just cruising back and forth in front of a sea of giant purple mushrooms.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mushroom alley, those all look pretty cool. I’ve never really thought of going with mushrooms in my current tank, I’m all mushroomed out. I used to have a 100 gallon tank I bought from a client And the only coral in it was giant blueish purple mushrooms. I wasn’t doing coral back then so I never added anything else and in time the mushrooms became enormous and took over the whole tank. There must have been 200-300 of them and some were 6-8 Inches across. Biggest mushroom infestation you’ll ever see, I wish I had pictures, it was wild. Imagine a Xenia infestation, only it was mushroom coral. Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, Flame Angel and a Six Line Wrasse all just cruising back and forth in front of a sea of giant purple mushrooms.

Lol some of those mushroom can grow crazy fast, that would have been cool to see. That’s the last thing I want so I’m not keeping any of the fast growing ones. Also the way my rocks are I can take them out and try to remove stuff. That’s the problem I have with the chalice tank because the rocks are stacked. I have two mushrooms that are on the bottom rock that I need to get in the acan tank now.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are coming along with taking down the chalice tank. I fragged up all my zoas and the rest of the LPS I was selling. Put it all up and sold it in one day. Figures normally its a pain trying to get rid of frags but as soon as I decide to take it down people bite, oh well. Today I'm driving to a shop that bought like 50 zoa frags from me. Still have zoas I have to cut off the rocks when I can pull them out and get them on the saw. After that next step is the fish. I think I still have a green banded goby in there that I will transfer. Im still undecided about the firefish. I am worried the midas blenny will give him a hard time but I will probably end up rolling the dice. The mocha clown pair and zebra barred dart fish, ill find a new home for.

Things in Acan tank, well now acan/chalice lagoon are going well for the most part but my chalices are still going down hill. I can't seem to figure it out. I sent out an ICP test the other day to see if it turns up anything. Some of my nicer ones including rainbows were starting to bleach. I had a local come over and he is going to put them in his tank and see if they bounce back until I can straighten things out. I just think in my tank they will slowly STN away. Still not 100% sure what the deal is but my best guess is when I turned my lights up too much and my No3 and Po4 bottomed out they got burned. Only other thing I can think of is I got a new bottle of aminos and new salt bucket around the time the problems started. Im going back to the basics and stopping dosing everything in the tank except for alk, cal, and mag. Im also going to stop using the rest of this bucket of salt and start on a new one. The plan is to do like three 50% water changes this week to get a restart. Now I have been keeping my nitrates around 12-15ppm and phosphate at 0.1ppm. doing these water changes is going to mess with that and I don't want them bottoming out again. I all ready had some nitrate and ordered some phosphate so I can dose to try and match the tank water.

I went searching for any rusty magnets ect... and found nothing. The lagoon did have a single sicce 1.5 pump. Today I took it out and put in two sicce 1.0 for redundancy, I also added a second 50w neo-therm. Man its so tight back there but all it just barely fit. I was thinking maybe something is leaching out of the UV sterilizer so I removed it for good measure. I hate watching all my chalices going down hill, I don't know what else more I can do. I should have jumped on big water changes sooner on this tank but I changed a bunch on the 30 and it didn't seem to help. Will we see how it goes, hopefully the chalices will do good for my buddy. Only other thing is maybe my source water. I changed all filters on my 6 stage RODI except the membrane and always get a zero tds reading on the unit and a pen as well. Acans are all happy, some have their off days where they don't want to open much but I've found that is pretty normal for acans. If I end up loosing most these chalices I am just going to stick to acans and high end mushrooms for now on lol.

Im curious what this ICP test says. In the lagoon i'm dosing Tropic Marin All for Reef. I am liking it and it holds my parameters pretty steady with a single dosing pump. I guess tropic marin was having stock issues and everyone was out. I saw a post on how to make your out ARF with their components. It was pretty much my only option but i'm glad I did because it was super easy and like 1/3 of the cost. I bought a magnetic stirrer and flask that made things a breeze.

Say some prayers for my Chalices :p

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I had sold the rest of my frags(like 50 some) to a local shop they had told me whenever I have frags they would buy them from me. I also talked to two other shops and they said they would be interested in frags as well. That’s one of the reasons I was taking down the 30L, it was getting hard to unload my frags. The other reason is because I’d like to do some traveling and figured one tank would be easier for someone to look after then two. I thought it would be a shame to take down the tank after it has been up for a year and a half and is pretty mature. I decided to keep it up and turn it into a frag tank and do just zoas and mushrooms. Figured they would be easy to care for.

I sold the clownfish and dartfish. Then transferred the green banded and firefish to the lagoon. I picked up 6 mollies for the frag tank and transitioned them to salt. They are doing good but one died. I’m not sure what happened but I think when I was taking the rock out to cut zoas off, when I had put it back I think I trapped or crushed it. When I was moving the rock around yesterday to fit a frag stand in, I found him dead. I put some siporax bio media in the back. It’s made out of sintered glass so it shouldn’t leach anything like the ceramic marine pure type media. Plan is to slowly remove all the rock and put egg crate on the bottom.

Since I’m going the zoa route I’m going to need a lot more grow out frags. I ordered 42 frags from two different members here on reef2reef. Got one of them in and the next one comes Thursday. I also broke down and ordered some high end mushrooms. I got a kryptonite, 3 different electus, and some other bounce type as a freebie.

I got my icp test back on the lagoon. This time it came back super quick. It didn’t look too bad but I was low in some elements. Not sure why that is, I guess my water changes aren’t keeping up with them. I ended up doing two 50% water changes to try and kinda reset things. I bought NeoNitro and NeoPhos so I could match the no3 and po4 level in the WC now that I am running higher nutrients. Also my calcium read pretty high on the ICP test, I thought maybe my API calcium test was bad. I heard the API calcium test was suppose to be really good and easy to do. Anyway I ordered a Salifert test to check it and it was the same. I think the ICP was wrong. I really don’t know how reliable these ICP tests are.
8F8A7974-8554-43C4-A9D7-22D74CF511A2.png

I think I have come to the conclusion that my chalice issues are because I turned up my lights and my nutrients bottomed out. I don’t think it was my water quality but maybe some of the low elements didn’t help. A couple weeks back I had got some chalices in and they were looking a little ruff. They had some tissue damage and I could see parts of the skeleton. Well they have recovered and look perfectly fine now. That’s what makes me think it was just the light and nutrients as nutrients have been higher and the light back to normal since I’ve had them.

Those new chalices and a favia.
0D029B3A-6F2F-4FAB-A777-8D432F02011D.jpeg

DDD7CE32-864C-4869-8607-C542D3BE333C.jpeg

982C0A32-ABBF-459F-ADA3-86F5A7DBB44D.jpeg

101AC073-DFB5-434B-8C03-7A4C13CA6D94.jpeg

DE9ABA2D-9608-4B81-99F0-5EE623DF6ACD.jpeg

A micro acan I got from the LFS when I took them the frags
B6C5FF25-D0ED-487D-98F3-303D77B91706.jpeg

Not the best pictures but I all ready got one of the electus shrooms in that I bought.
1D26F625-C233-46DA-B14A-5475A72DCEC4.jpeg

81FDB236-F759-4BD6-8930-688CC78F0C22.jpeg

Check this out, I ordered a custom photo mug from snapfish with some of my favorite acan shots
0A57891C-0E09-4868-BA25-2C3F6EDC3395.jpeg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if i missed it but what do you run the mp10 on aswell as the light's in the 25 lagoon? thanks

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if i missed it but what do you run the mp10 on aswell as the light's in the 25 lagoon? thanks
Yes I’m running a MP10. I recently changed it to tidal swell mode at around 50%. Or maybe it’s nutrient export, I don’t remember. Which ever mode pulses and then after gets the detritus out.

I am using two Ai primes with 3D reffing diffusers. I’m using the BRS Ab+ setting reduced to 50%. I do a 3 1/2 hour ramp up, then 6 hours peak, and a 3 1/2 hour ramp down.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet thanks! i have a 17g lifegard very similar depths. I am using brs ab aswell 70% except i cut out the whites, greens an reds for better color on chalice's. I have been messing around with the mp10 modes for lps will try out TS mode

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll update with tank stuff soon but a coral update.
Bought about 40 new zoas to grow out and frag. I don’t hav any pictures of them yet. Since I’m done with chalices I decided to do mushrooms instead.

The few I got recently
016FDA21-D5AB-4C2E-AE6B-34591B130CB3.jpeg

9D68F838-9454-4E13-9655-AD9B9E3C5A51.jpeg

1B71B440-CC50-4164-B5EE-F302605CF304.jpeg

31EFCC87-77DC-46A0-87D1-E3C2B7185A4D.jpeg

BBA92494-5C8D-4F6E-9459-6230CD092250.jpeg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went deep but the deals were there.
first pic is cb rainbow crush right next to cherry corals ko burning passion
second pic is well xD
third pic berry blastos
fourth is bsa american psycho from golden state corals
fifth pic is lc ragnarok sixth pic is lc applejacks wwc stellaria lc rainbow boom goni and yellow sub
last pic is uc yoda favia as i ran out of shadow tank to let these guys chill out today this is my dream tank 6 years in the making being stuck inside for so long i just could not stand my 60g any longer

IMAG1614.jpg IMAG1615.jpg IMAG1616.jpg IMAG1631.jpg IMAG1633.jpg IMAG1637.jpg IMAG1639.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went deep but the deals were there.
first pic is cb rainbow crush right next to cherry corals ko burning passion
second pic is well xD
third pic berry blastos
fourth is bsa american psycho from golden state corals
fifth pic is lc ragnarok sixth pic is lc applejacks wwc stellaria lc rainbow boom goni and yellow sub
last pic is uc yoda favia as i ran out of shadow tank to let these guys chill out today this is my dream tank 6 years in the making being stuck inside for so long i just could not stand my 60g any longer

IMAG1614.jpg IMAG1615.jpg IMAG1616.jpg IMAG1631.jpg IMAG1633.jpg IMAG1637.jpg IMAG1639.jpg
Wow man you got some really nice corals. The American psycho is one of my favorite chalices. For a rainbow the shade of blue and orange eyes are really unique, plus it grows fast.
Here is mine
04800125-80D0-4C88-91A4-5B4E54503317.jpeg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that's dope!!! i read you were done with chalice's?just done buying or cleaning out ur stash? i have been droooling for years on these 3 chalice's im so happy they are so puffed up an happy with my water gonna throw them on the rocks tomorrow and with good luck they like the spots i haven chosen

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back