OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll tell you that Fritz turbo start 900 works super quick. I dosed the tank to about 3ppm of ammonia and added it Friday night. By Monday night there was barely a hair of ammonia left. Tuesday I added a Molly I had in my other tank and one mushroom. Today I added a few more. I want to focus on discoma mushroom but ended up putting a couple of small rhodactis as well. All these are duplicates that I have.

I noticed the 95gph return pump was too much flow for them. Pulled the pump out and adjusted it all the way down. I also removed the return nozzles so it has a wider flor pattern without as much force. Seems to be working good so far.

I will wait awhile before gluing anything to the rock in case I get algae. That way I can pull it out and scrub it, then use hydrogen peroxide on stubborn spots if needed.

E9941FC1-59F4-44CD-82C7-50617785374B.jpeg

C740D123-BAEE-489E-9416-7BA2D74071D5.jpeg

62445042-A022-4122-B932-B3A346C5B3FB.jpeg

335BE655-FA86-4326-98B5-5E33FF53EC75.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the molly isn't staying. I want to get something really cool. I just put him in there to kind of get things going. If anyone has any suggestions, please give me some ideas :)

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy basslet? Have no clue how big of a tank they truly need but they are a cave dwelling fish. May appreciate the lower intensity lights if this will be a shroom tank.

Or a nice bright blue damsel. They are so underrated. Big pop of color.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy basslet? Have no clue how big of a tank they truly need but they are a cave dwelling fish. May appreciate the lower intensity lights if this will be a shroom tank.

Or a nice bright blue damsel. They are so underrated. Big pop of color.

I would love a candy basslet, I’m guessing they need a bigger tank though. Also they are crazy expensive. I could swing a Swiss guard if the tank would be suitable for him. I have been thinking of maybe a green clown goby and then either some sexy shrimp or bumble bee shrimp. I’m not sure if the shrimp will eat mushrooms though.

Did your acans come in this morning?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a candy basslet, I’m guessing they need a bigger tank though. Also they are crazy expensive. I could swing a Swiss guard if the tank would be suitable for him. I have been thinking of maybe a green clown goby and then either some sexy shrimp or bumble bee shrimp. I’m not sure if the shrimp will eat mushrooms though.

Did your acans come in this morning?

I personally have never had sexy shrimp because of the stories I read of them eating corals. But I think that was more with lps coral. Swiss Guards are neat and so are green clown gobies.

Yes they did! They came late and are still temp acclimating. He threw in two extras. Not sure what they are yet I just chucked them in the sump ha.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I had a local selling a 2016 full version Apex Brain. I bought it for the SR80. The SR80 had an apex JR on it but I wanted to get a regular version so I could do a hybrid button box for feeding and a backup ATO float switch. I was just going to use it with a regular EB8 I had but then Neptune put the EB832 bars with power monitoring for sale for Black Friday. I bought one but apex and 832 have just been sitting around. I have been really lazy about installing it and wasn’t really looking forward to it.

Now that I’m starting this Pico, it got me motivated as I’m moving the apex Jr to that tank. Got the new one installed on the SR80 and the Jr switched over yesterday.

174A591C-5B23-4D44-8B4D-CF8E1EA87175.jpeg

Just ended up mounting it to the back of the dresser the tank is on. The back was pretty thin so I added a small board on the inside to give the screws a bit more to hold onto. Then I mounted a wifi power strip with Velcro. Not using it now as the 4 outlets on the Jr is enough but had it so thought why not in case I need it. My wire management is always a rat's nest, don’t judge lol.

I also had an extra Auto Aqua ATO Lite so set that up as well. I was limited on room and found a container at target that I am using for my ATO reservoir. It’s a little big but I needed something that my clothes basket could sit on top. Think it worked out pretty good.
8A51BE1D-8CF6-45F5-AA8C-A2A1D3A4FEB6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend a buddy of mine went out to town and I went to check on his tanks. When I walked in his 10g tank was half drained and water all over the floor. I guess it developed a leak. Good thing I came because it was draining pretty fast and another couple hours it would have been complete empty. He called his sister and she bought another 10g. I put the livestock and most the rock in one of his other tanks and got the new tank going with the sand and a few pieces of rock. Luckily I had some water mixing at home to fill it. When he got home the next day all his live stock was alive and happy. Don’t think he lost one coral or fish.

So the reason for the story is on the way back from the trip he was meeting a clownfish breeder to get some fish. He I just set up this 5g and he wanted to thank me for saving the tank so he bought me a clownfish. I think it’s called blacker ice. It’s hard to tell but it has some blue which is pretty cool. The pair he got had a crazy amount.
4FA9783D-1E6C-46DF-BB17-C3EA327DF209.jpeg

The tank has started to get algae on the glass and a dusting on the rocks. I had one of those mame blown glass skimmers in my stockpile so installed it last night. I really like how sleek it looks.

EC657C11-8122-4D3E-8E3F-32E9BEF9D2BA.jpeg

The back compartment is getting filled on this thing. I got a mini UV that I am playing around with. Will have to see how much heat it adds. Only other things I may add is a backup ATO sensor and maybe a small power head inside the display. The return pump makes enough flow but the clownfish wasn’t wanting to eat with the flow off which I do so food doesn’t go in the back. Maybe it just because he is new.

463432A1-F865-4BCF-9820-1E0E905CCEAD.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend a buddy of mine went out to town and I went to check on his tanks. When I walked in his 10g tank was half drained and water all over the floor. I guess it developed a leak. Good thing I came because it was draining pretty fast and another couple hours it would have been complete empty. He called his sister and she bought another 10g. I put the livestock and most the rock in one of his other tanks and got the new tank going with the sand and a few pieces of rock. Luckily I had some water mixing at home to fill it. When he got home the next day all his live stock was alive and happy. Don’t think he lost one coral or fish.

So the reason for the story is on the way back from the trip he was meeting a clownfish breeder to get some fish. He I just set up this 5g and he wanted to thank me for saving the tank so he bought me a clownfish. I think it’s called blacker ice. It’s hard to tell but it has some blue which is pretty cool. The pair he got had a crazy amount.
4FA9783D-1E6C-46DF-BB17-C3EA327DF209.jpeg

The tank has started to get algae on the glass and a dusting on the rocks. I had one of those mame blown glass skimmers in my stockpile so installed it last night. I really like how sleek it looks.

EC657C11-8122-4D3E-8E3F-32E9BEF9D2BA.jpeg

The back compartment is getting filled on this thing. I got a mini UV that I am playing around with. Will have to see how much heat it adds. Only other things I may add is a backup ATO sensor and maybe a small power head inside the display. The return pump makes enough flow but the clownfish wasn’t wanting to eat with the flow off which I do so food doesn’t go in the back. Maybe it just because he is new.

463432A1-F865-4BCF-9820-1E0E905CCEAD.jpeg
Nice save Rob. Lucky you came along when you did.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t posted in awhile, hoping to get an update here soon. Wanted to share a picture of my acans. Some lost a little color, trying to figure out how to bring it back.

20A54D3E-1A1C-4297-B028-3111F54816BD.jpeg
That’s incredible. You really have a great collection of Acans.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my mushrooms in the 80g

954D6A80-E7FE-45C4-8D1C-57CB979E56C4.jpeg

The new little 5g is doing decent, went through an algae faze that is starting to mostly clear up.
03C4A9A3-5A34-4ABA-ACD2-8A220AC01F5F.jpeg
I know I’m supposed to be looking at the coral but I’m really digging the scape on the 5g. That’s gonna look really cool when it’s all grown in.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m supposed to be looking at the coral but I’m really digging the scape on the 5g. That’s gonna look really cool when it’s all grown in.

Thanks, I’m excited for the rock to get some biofilm on it and aged enough where I feel comfortable mounting some frags. I always like to wait in case I have to pull it out and scrub them. So far so good though. Not all those shrooms are staying in there, it’s kinda like an overflow for now and then I’ll pick some of my favorites to mount and display.

My buddy gave me a clownfish for the tank for helping him with something. Then I saw a tailspot blenny at the LFS. Added him then after about a week later I just found the clown dead one morning and spots on the Blenny. So sad to loose the guy and my first time dealing with anything like ICK or whatever It was. A few days later the blenny passed. Once you lose a couple like that it’s tough. I never quarantined before but never had an issue. Knowing that those deaths might have been preventable I think I may quarantine for now on unless the fish comes from a hobbyists tank. As of now I’m letting the tank go fallow for a couple months.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m excited for the rock to get some biofilm on it and aged enough where I feel comfortable mounting some frags. I always like to wait in case I have to pull it out and scrub them. So far so good though. Not all those shrooms are staying in there, it’s kinda like an overflow for now and then I’ll pick some of my favorites to mount and display.

My buddy gave me a clownfish for the tank for helping him with something. Then I saw a tailspot blenny at the LFS. Added him then after about a week later I just found the clown dead one morning and spots on the Blenny. So sad to loose the guy and my first time dealing with anything like ICK or whatever It was. A few days later the blenny passed. Once you lose a couple like that it’s tough. I never quarantined before but never had an issue. Knowing that those deaths might have been preventable I think I may quarantine for now on unless the fish comes from a hobbyists tank. As of now I’m letting the tank go fallow for a couple months.
That’s a bummer about the fish. I don’t have room for a quarantine setup but I try to do what I can in the tank. I have some different kinds of medicated food from here http://store.everythingaquatic.net/
and I’ve run Prazipro in the tank a couple of times without any ill effects so far. Occasionally I see a spot or two of ick, or what I think is ick, on the tang and I’ll feed the medicated flake for a few days and it goes away. I’m not arrogant enough to think I’ve got anything beat as far as fish disease goes but what I’m doing has been working so far. I also have not added any new fish in over a year so that helps too. If you are going to quarantine from now on I would do it for everything whether it comes from a hobbyist tank or not. You never know what your really getting until it’s too late.

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d share my reefing journey. I will keep this first post updated with current full tank shots and equipment. Thanks for stopping by and Reef On!!!

IM 30L started 1/19
FTS 12/24/2019 (now is a zoa frag tank)
D427B330-E20E-4800-A169-0FBCA8FF6B57.jpg

IM 30L Equipment
2x Ai Primes with 3D reefing diffusers
2x Sicce 1.0 returns
2x Neotherm 75w heaters
Ecotech MP10
Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer
Smart Micro ATO
IM 5g Reservoir
Intank floss holder with floss
IM Midsize UV with floss
Apex EL
Neptune DOS with B Ionic 2 part

IM 25g Lagoon Started 1/20
FTS 10/04/20
8FC0F9AE-4E7C-4C08-BA04-8B1C659E5B65.jpeg

IM 25 Lagoon Equipment
2x Prime HD with 3D reefing diffusers
2x Sicce 1.0 returns
2x 50w Neo Therms
MP10
Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer without bracket
Smart ATO Micro
IM 5g reservoir
IM desktop media basket with floss
IM Desktop UV with floss
Apex EL
Kamour X1 Dosers with DIY All for Reef

SR80 Frag tank started 9/20
FTS 11/02/20
D8ECD6F7-5D3A-4219-BECC-A0699E3E7D6F.png

IM SR80 Equipment
2x Kessil 360x
Universal mounts from aquariumlowcost
2x IM Midsized Mighty jet returns
1x 150w Neotherm heater
MP10
Cadlight PLS 50 elite skimmer
Smart ATO Micro
Banshee 10g reservoir
4" hydroponic net pot with floss
IM Misized UV with floss
Apex EL
2x Kamour X1 pro dosers with B ionic 2 part

Fluval Spec V 5g pico Started 12/20
FTS 12/09/20
4BFF5039-A734-43E8-8955-5DD4433F8A8D.jpeg

Fluval Spec V Equipment
Pulaco 95gph return pump from amazon
Nicrew Classic LED from amazon 18"
Hygger 50w heater from amazon
Floss just stuffed into first chamber
Auto Aqua ATO Lite
Apex Jr

My Instagram if anyone is interested intricate_reefer

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done a update in awhile

Things are going good on all the tanks and corals are growing good. Only thing is for some reason chalices just don’t like me anymore. I have no idea what it is but they slowly recede on me. I still have a couple still doing ok but not many. I started to buy some favias because they are kinda similar, cheaper and some strains are pretty colorful. Have maybe 10 and all doing good.

The minor Algae problems have been solved for months and completely gone. The acan tank is a little over a year now and the rock is completely covered in corraline so that helps. Also When I did that flux Rx treatment, it pretty much knocked it out.

The new 5g went through an algae faze but has completely cleared up. The tank I believe is about 6 weeks or so old. There haven’t been any fish in there after they suddenly died a few weeks ago. I did a big water change after and none since. I tell you what though, the discoma mushrooms are loving the tank. They are doing better in there than the 80g. Not sure what it is but I’m thinking the light. Super happy with it.

Crappy blue pic I know. Might get ready to glue some on the rocks soon.
7E8E6D6B-2CA2-41FC-B42A-52680D5ADDAC.jpeg

So I have been thinking hard and I have decided to take the 30L and turn it into a display. Displays are just so much fun and awesome once grown out. Plus I have the 80g for a frag tank and that should be good enough, for now lol.

I believe I’m going to make it an all shroom tank. I have really been getting into them lately and think a display would look sweet. Not completely decided it will be all mushrooms but that’s what I’m leaning too. Will definitely have the bottom covered with bounces.

I ordered some crushed coral for when I convert it. I also have some Tonga rock I pick up a couple months ago. Want to make something nice with it.

The only thing I have to do now is get rid of all the corals in there lol. I all ready went through and moved all the ones I want to keep to the 80g. Now just have to get rid of about 70 or so frags. Mostly lower end zoas.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eye candy shots of some new additions

Jersey bounce
62395D1A-50DC-46D5-B31B-8EDBEF86DB00.jpeg

Biohazard bounce
3F8F2B08-5AEE-4FAA-A7AC-CBCF22A4B3AF.jpeg

Recent import gold torch with green mouth. Curious how it will color up
45BDFF52-DBCC-4360-A491-7ECC0B1D75DA.jpeg

WWC Rainbow Blasto that my buddy gave me after I helped him cut some corals with my bandsaw
E1782928-166F-42C8-B5A6-FFC921A1C720.jpeg

Some new import shrooms that look like they have a lot of potential
B4427727-1A99-4398-BFD9-9E13C47AE1F5.jpeg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t posted an updated picture of the acan tank in awhile. Just a quick cell shot but thought I would share

I moved out a lot of the favias and a couple chalice I had on the bottom. It was just too cluttered looking and I’ll grow out my favorite pieces into bigger colonies.

Also on the right rock I started to glue some blastos up. Still have a handful more to add but I want to cut them first to keep a growout frag.

07F94BEC-CB52-4966-A1A5-86F35D9C3840.jpeg

151C9ED4-CB05-4F0E-B076-8CAFCB833EC4.jpeg

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous man, really like those import shrooms too.

Per your recommendations i started all for reef and finally have a favia looking happy. What is your alk at? Seems like my all for reef keeps it around 10.5

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous man, really like those import shrooms too.

Per your recommendations i started all for reef and finally have a favia looking happy. What is your alk at? Seems like my all for reef keeps it around 10.5

Thanks bro. What salt are you using? I like to keep my all around 8.6-9dkh. If you do regular water changes with a higher Alk salt it will give it a little bump if you keep it lower

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back