Rob’s 30g Tonga Shroom Garden

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow she looks awesome, thanks for sharing! That recent picture is a great shot. Im kinda leaning towards the bullets holes because I feel like they would stand out more than the black storms. Then again I could just skip the fancy clowns, get some basic orange ones and spend the left over money on more coral hahaha
Definitely, always, 100% for sure, always, go fancy ;Hilarious

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae seems to be slowing down considerably on the 30g so I'm happy. Ill have to go through again and manually remove all I can from the frag plugs then hopefully it won't return. The rocks are virtually clear now.

The new 25g is going well. I found a used K1 nano skimmer that I got in today. Hook it all up and it seems to be pretty decent. I ordered the Apex EL, probe holder and a UV sterilizer, they should be here Thursday. The tank came with an Ai Prime and I have another one left over from the 10g tank. I didn't think one would have had good coverage on this tank and the two would have looked funny. I ended up finding someone local who had a XR30 Gen 3 for sale so I picked it up. I'll just sell one of the primes then keep the other as a back up. The Radion may be a little overkill lol but ill just run it low. Still need to figure out a schedule to run.

IMG_7710.JPG

Now the only thing I don't like is how big this RMS mount is. Its really wide and takes up a lot of real estate in the back. Now that I have this I don't know if I am going to be able to fit everything back there. Probably should have thought about this before getting it. I need room for the ph and temp probe holder, dosing lines, ato sensor, ato waterline, and hopefully the back up float emergency ato cut off if I can fit it. Also as of right now I only have one return and one heater, would like two of each so those will take up a little more space as well.

See, not that much space with the mount, i'm really hoping it will work. I could use the space where I have the ato line now as im not using that chamber for anything but I may use it to grow chaeto with an Intank basket in the future. If I do I imagine the ato waterline is fine there. Would just have to move it whenever lifting out the basket. Not sure if it would hurt the chaeto if I dosed two part on top of it but that might be my only option to fit everything.
IMG_7711.JPG

Back of the 30g so you can get a sense of how much room is required for all my nerdy gear lol. I think its going to be a tight squeeze on the 25g
IMG_7712.JPG

So the cycle is finished on the new tank. I just have to do a huge water change. I am making up the water now and will probably get it done tomorrow or the next day. Next up is the first fish. I am thinking of adding some clownfish first. This time I want to get some designer ones. I just have some regular mochas in the other tank. I really like the black storm clownfish and was going to go with a pair of them but came across these bullethole clownfish online. This is a WYSIWYG pair. What are you guys thoughts, do you like these or black storms? Im really torn between the two and they are about the same price.

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 9.37.31 PM.png

Black storm not WYSIWYG, I would have to try and find a pair but this is an example

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 10.05.33 PM.png
Everything is looking great as usual. In my opinion the Bullet Hole pair is far superior to the Black Storms.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cycle has finished , I dosed the tank again with ammonia to 1ppm and it processed it within 24 hours. Did a 100% water change today to knock the nitrates down, defiantly don't want to start out on the wrong foot. UV, Apex, and probe holder came in. Unfortunately the probe holder wasn't a probe holder but dosing line holder, the guy on eBay had it listed wrong. He ended up refunding me half the price so it only cost me $8, I was probably going to order one anyway, i'll call it a win. So went ahead and ordered the right one. I am going to install the UV a little later.

As far as the clown fish I have been thinking maybe I should just got some basic orange ones. At leastt they would be different then the mochas I all ready have The LFS I shop for livestock normally has them for sale for $10 which is like a 10th of the price of the bulllet holes. I could really use the money on a couple things I still need for the build. Want to get a neo therm heater and the IM ATO reservoir, I have one on my other tank and really love the drawer. Im still undecided though on the clownfish. Just noticed after looking at the clownfish today they got some more bullet holes for sale. Which ones do you guys think look the best? Im still leaning towards the onse I all ready posted, #1

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.06.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.05.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.05.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.05.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.05.01 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard choice but going to say 5. If I look back in 1 hour I may change my mind. Lol

I ended up with std ocellaris after trying to decide

Right lol, its a super hard choice! Thanks for the input, #5 is defiantly in the running for the top spot.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right lol, its a super hard choice! Thanks for the input, #5 is defiantly in the running for the top spot.
#5 is the nicest looking pair of the bunch. You might be right about going standard though, and using the savings for other stuff. I have a pair of occ clowns, 1 standard and 1 mis-bar, I’m a fan of the classics :)
I also have the IM 5 gal reservoir and the drawer really is great. Let us know what you decide.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m having an issue with fish in the 30L. I didn’t tell you guys but awhile ago I got that Banggai Cardinal and he wasn’t really eating much. Then one day I noticed he was just gone. No idea where he went, I’m assuming he died but couldn’t find his body and I only have astrea snails for clean up crew, would have thought I would at least found his dead body.

Well then last week I noticed my pink streak wrasse was no where to be seen. I was kinda freaking out but then I saw him briefly later that night. Well now it’s been a few days and I haven’t seen him since. Really don’t know what’s going on with these fish. I mean the Cardinal wasn’t eating so I get that but the pink streak was doing fine for months. I never seen anyone bullying either one so I don’t know what the deal is.

Now today I just noticed my Lawnmower Blenny is looking pretty skinny. I know I don’t have much algae in the tank but he always eats mysis when I feed and I see him picking at the rocks throughout the day. I put some nori in today but he doesn’t seem interested. I don’t know what I’m going to do.

For the new 25g I ended up just getting some normal orange clownfish. The only thing is they are tiny, oh well they will grow with time. I really wanted the bulletholes but decided to save the money. I’m probably going to regret not getting them later on. All my polling for the bullet holes then I didn’t even end up getting a pair. Sorry guys lol

I need to try and figure out my next fish for that tank though. Was thinking about maybe a small group of green banded gobies. I have one in the 30L and he is pretty cool. I also put a tester acan and chalice in the 25g and they seem to be doing good so far.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m having an issue with fish in the 30L. I didn’t tell you guys but awhile ago I got that Banggai Cardinal and he wasn’t really eating much. Then one day I noticed he was just gone. No idea where he went, I’m assuming he died but couldn’t find his body and I only have astrea snails for clean up crew, would have thought I would at least found his dead body.

Well then last week I noticed my pink streak wrasse was no where to be seen. I was kinda freaking out but then I saw him briefly later that night. Well now it’s been a few days and I haven’t seen him since. Really don’t know what’s going on with these fish. I mean the Cardinal wasn’t eating so I get that but the pink streak was doing fine for months. I never seen anyone bullying either one so I don’t know what the deal is.

Now today I just noticed my Lawnmower Blenny is looking pretty skinny. I know I don’t have much algae in the tank but he always eats mysis when I feed and I see him picking at the rocks throughout the day. I put some nori in today but he doesn’t seem interested. I don’t know what I’m going to do.

For the new 25g I ended up just getting some normal orange clownfish. The only thing is they are tiny, oh well they will grow with time. I really wanted the bulletholes but decided to save the money. I’m probably going to regret not getting them later on. All my polling for the bullet holes then I didn’t even end up getting a pair. Sorry guys lol

I need to try and figure out my next fish for that tank though. Was thinking about maybe a small group of green banded gobies. I have one in the 30L and he is pretty cool. I also put a tester acan and chalice in the 25g and they seem to be doing good so far.
That’s a bummer about the fish Rob. I’m no fish doctor but in my experience if they are eating but not gaining weight that says parasites like intestinal worms or something. Have you thought about some metro and focus in the food? I did that for two weeks with mine but I saw some white stringy poop from one of the clowns. I don’t know for sure that it helped but they were not growing before I did that and they are now. I don‘t have a quarantine set up but I have also added the correct amount of Prazipro directly to the display tank and have not experienced any negative results. I’m not necessarily saying you should do that but if the fish isn’t eating and it might be because of parasites then it’s an option If you don’t have a qt to do it in.

My clowns were tiny when I got them as well. I think the tank raised ones get shipped out pretty young.

I dig the green banded gobies, a pair or trio is on my radar at some point in the future if I feel the tank can handle the bioload.

It‘s weird that those fish have disappeared. Good luck figuring it out. Sorry I’m not more help.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer about the fish Rob. I’m no fish doctor but in my experience if they are eating but not gaining weight that says parasites like intestinal worms or something. Have you thought about some metro and focus in the food? I did that for two weeks with mine but I saw some white stringy poop from one of the clowns. I don’t know for sure that it helped but they were not growing before I did that and they are now. I don‘t have a quarantine set up but I have also added the correct amount of Prazipro directly to the display tank and have not experienced any negative results. I’m not necessarily saying you should do that but if the fish isn’t eating and it might be because of parasites then it’s an option If you don’t have a qt to do it in.

My clowns were tiny when I got them as well. I think the tank raised ones get shipped out pretty young.

I dig the green banded gobies, a pair or trio is on my radar at some point in the future if I feel the tank can handle the bioload.

It‘s weird that those fish have disappeared. Good luck figuring it out. Sorry I’m not more help.

Yea that’s a thought about the medication. I have never had these issues or used meds before. Is this Metro and Focus something that is reef safe? Also is it something that won’t effect the other fish if eaten. So it’s something I can just soak the mysis shrimp in before feeding? I think I will try and get this worked out then when I return to school next week I’ll take him down and put him in the frag tank, lots of algae down there. Or maybe my new tank will have some by then.

Yea the green banded are great but man they are tiny. I wouldn’t imagine they would add much bio load at all. With you having sand you could get a lot of cool gobies. I have a red headed in that tank as well. I think I like him more and he gets along great with the green banded. I don’t think they do well in groups of their own kind and you can only do two if you can find a bonded pair though. I’ve heard Evoita gobies do well in groups so they maybe be an option if I can find some. I’m trying to figure out what other fish might be good. I was thinking about a possum wrasse but after this pink streak going missing I’m scared to get another one, those small wrasses aren’t really the cheapest fish. Maybe I will try a Midas blenny again, the last one jumped. I hate losing fish, it’s the worst. I really wish my tank was a little bigger so I could get small tang like you. How has he been doing? Working on the algae at all?
This fuge is really helping mine a lot.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s a thought about the medication. I have never had these issues or used meds before. Is this Metro and Focus something that is reef safe? Also is it something that won’t effect the other fish if eaten. So it’s something I can just soak the mysis shrimp in before feeding? I think I will try and get this worked out then when I return to school next week I’ll take him down and put him in the frag tank, lots of algae down there. Or maybe my new tank will have some by then.

Yea the green banded are great but man they are tiny. I wouldn’t imagine they would add much bio load at all. With you having sand you could get a lot of cool gobies. I have a red headed in that tank as well. I think I like him more and he gets along great with the green banded. I don’t think they do well in groups of their own kind and you can only do two if you can find a bonded pair though. I’ve heard Evoita gobies do well in groups so they maybe be an option if I can find some. I’m trying to figure out what other fish might be good. I was thinking about a possum wrasse but after this pink streak going missing I’m scared to get another one, those small wrasses aren’t really the cheapest fish. Maybe I will try a Midas blenny again, the last one jumped. I hate losing fish, it’s the worst. I really wish my tank was a little bigger so I could get small tang like you. How has he been doing? Working on the algae at all?
This fuge is really helping mine a lot.
You may want to start with a dose of Prazipro to get the ball rolling if fish aren’t eating and you suspect internal parasites. Metroplex can be mixed with food once the fish are eating. Focus is a binder that keeps the medication attached to the food. I thawed brine shrimp, mixed in the appropriate amounts of each and then refroze the brine. Fed nothing but that for two weeks. As I said before though, I’m no fish doctor. There are plenty of people on here much more informed than I am on how these things work. The things I used seem to have worked for me but do your research. The fish disease forum on this site is a wealth of information, especially Humblefish for this particular subject but there are many others who really know what they are talking about.

I would like to add some gobies at some point, will have to see how things go. The tang is doing it’s thing. It’s eliminated algae from half of the back wall but it doesn’t seem interested in anything attached to the rocks at all. Today it’s really not eating anything. It will usually only go for Nori if it’s free floating, it won’t touch it if it’s in a clip. It doesn’t seem interested in anything else I put in like mysis flakes or tdo chromaboost pellets. Looks ok but just doesn’t seem to have the Tang appetite. I may need to Do something proactive if it’s still not showing interest in food tomorrow. Up until today it was picking at the algae on the back wall pretty consistently so I have not been too worried but like I said, today I don’t think I saw it eat anything. Glad to hear the fuge is working for your algae.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update

Things are going well with the 30g, algae is gone, zoas are good, well most of them maybe one or two that still haven't recovered. I haven't really had to much to do on the tank lately other then working on the nitrates and phosphates. The nitrates are now sitting around 5ppm hoping I can keep them stable with the fuge. The phosphates do rise and I have been dosing them back down with Lanthanum Chloride. I was using Phosphate E by brightwell but for some reason it stopped working. I ordered some Phosphate Rx and that seems to be working better. Still haven't seen the pink streak wrasse, and at this point I have lost all hope. Trying to work on the Lawnmower Blenny, he eats when I feed but not much. I see him picking at the rocks and glass throughout the day but honestly I don't see algae in the tank. Hoping ill be able to catch him and take him down school.

I have been mainly focused on the 25 lagoon recently. Got the mounting boards in the stand and the apex mounted. Still have to program and plug everything in, I've been lazy. Skimmers working well, hasn't been pulling a lot out as the tank is new and not much waste but I can see it should work good. I went to hook up the UV sterilizer and the bulb was dead. Pretty disappointing but aquacave got in touch with innovative marine and they sent me a replacement. I really needed it as I had a bacterial bloom, got it in last night and the water cleared up by this morning. I went ahead and ordered the Innovative marine Top off reservoir, it should be here Monday. So it looks like there will be no room in the back for a emergency float switch to cut off the ATO if it were to overfill. I found a device that is just a tiny optical sensor I am going to try instead. Actually got a good deal on it on eBay, only $45 shipped. Its called the Autoaqua Smart Level Security. It is pretty much just a small optical eye that when activated cuts power to something. Only thing Im worried about is every time the return pump is off and the water level in the back rises it will cut power to the ato, I just hope if it cuts power when the water level goes back down it turns back on, not sure if it works that way though or if it needs to be reset manually. If it doesn't ill have to mount the sensor extra high so it doesn't get triggered which isn't really ideal but will work.

The tester frags seem to be doing good for the most part. I have 3 acans in there now and one chalice. For some reason the acans are inflated most of the day but part of the day they are retracted. Not sure if it has something to do with the tank or acans just being acans. They do that from time to time on my main tank, they are just weird like that. I ended up taking the GSP off the wall of the 30g and putting up another frag rack because I have a bunch of acans coming in for the new tank. Pretty excited about them, I got a huge pack of the asian acans from BSA corals and one acan from a trade of a member here on reef2reef. Its actually the acan that was on that crazy sale thread recently that a lot of people had issues with. I talked to the guy and he seemed ok and we worked out a trade. I just hope the acan is as nice as he says. If not, oh well, I'm really just out for shipping as the corals am trading regrow pretty fast.

Pictures of the acans in the new tank, you can see one of them retracted. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe I have the XR30 set too high. Im not sure though because I only have them at 15%. I am running the schedule long, like 13 hours. I am home most of the day and like to view the tank a lot. Maybe its too long but that's how long I run them on the 30g without issue. I have a local guy that said he has a par meter I can barrow., just got to work out a time to go pick it up.

IMG_7810.JPG

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went out to a local reefers house to barrow a par meter. Got home and got the Radion dialed in. I pretty much just matched the par from the 30g. Around 80-100 throughout the tank with some high spots at 120 and the darker corner areas around 50. I was thinking though maybe about getting one of the diffusers. I use one on my primes and am happy with them. I think I’m going to try and find a used one if possible. Hopefully the local reefer will let me hold onto the par meter until I can get one.

Got the reservoir in and need to hook it up. Think the only other things I want to get for the tank is the diffuser, apex DOS(probably not for a month or two), 2nd heater, maybe a fuge light and possibly a MP10. Really glad I didn’t get the expensive clownfish as the extra money is really helping. I do have a KPS wave maker but not sure if it’s what I really want. I bought it for the back wall but not sure if that’s going to be the best placement. If I have to put one on the side I would rather have the Mp10 so I don’t have the wires in the way.

I need to get the flow figured out. The tank came with the stock nozzles and an upgraded sicce 1.5 pump. I don’t know what it was but it seemed like the flow was too much. I think it was bouncing off the front glass and giving too much flow to the acans on the bottom. I had to end up turning off the KPS. I went ahead and got some RFG nozzles in and just installed them. Hopefully I can get them dialed in and solve the problem.

When I went to the guys house to pick up the par meter I got some acans. He had a few frag tanks set up and lots of coral. Worked out a partial trade for some of my zoas and I have him a couple frags for letting me barrow the par meter. Didn’t have room for the new ones in the 30g so I stuck them in the new tank. I just put them in but they seem to be starting to open a bit after the dip. Nothing too crazy but I think I got a good decent variety of color. Really pumped for the new corals Wednesday!

Pictures don’t turn out quite as good with my phone and truvu filter on this tank with the normal lighting schedule. Really sucks I can’t change them on the fly like I can with the WiFi Ai Prime lights.
7CCCB4C4-A601-4F2A-A6DD-77DDD56DDF5B.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look good, not nearly as blue as mine always turn out. I have the diffuser on my Radion XR15 and it works great. It’s worth getting. You can cycle through different settings just by using the buttons on top of the light. I believe there’s a setting that reverts it back to whatever your schedule normally is after a set amount of time. Or you can just turn it off and back in again. That’s what I do. It will be nice when Mobius is ready and maybe we can have some better control of the Radion without having to connect a cable to the light and a laptop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look good, not nearly as blue as mine always turn out. I have the diffuser on my Radion XR15 and it work great. It’s worth getting. You can cycle through different settings just by using the buttons on top of the light. I believe there’s a setting that reverts it back to whatever your schedule normally is after a set amount of time. Or you can just turn it off and back in again. That’s what I do. It will be nice when Mobius is ready and maybe we can have some better control of the Radion without having to connect a cable to the light and a laptop.

That tuvu filter I have helps so much. I didn’t even know about cycling through colors with the buttons, thanks lol. Good to hear about the diffusers, really considering one. Right now dialed in to the par I’m after I have the intensity at 25% so I’m guessing I’ll need to raise it another 15-20% if I get one but I’ll definitely want a par meter to do it. Yea mobius looks great but for how expensive these lights are WiFi or Bluetooth should have been in them long ago smh

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I need some Help!!! So I saw they have a photo of the month contest going on. I never have entered one before but this months is favias. I have a couple nice ones so got out the camera this evening. Think I got some decent shots. These are the best picture I got of each. You can only enter one, which one would you enter? Do you think they need to be cropped or zoomed in at all? Or do you think I should bring the camera back out and try to get new shots.

1. Favia of the Gods
faviaofthegods010820 copy.jpg

2. Mighty Max

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 1.12.42 AM.png

3. War and Peace

warandpeace010820.jpg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I need some Help!!! So I saw they have a photo of the month contest going on. I never have entered one before but this months is favias. I have a couple nice ones so got out the camera this evening. Think I got some decent shots. These are the best picture I got of each. You can only enter one, which one would you enter? Do you think they need to be cropped or zoomed in at all? Or do you think I should bring the camera back out and try to get new shots.

1. Favia of the Gods
faviaofthegods010820 copy.jpg

2. Mighty Max

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 1.12.42 AM.png

3. War and Peace

warandpeace010820.jpg
This is tough because I like the colors in 1 and 3 but the polyp extension in 2 is really cool. So basically I’m no help :)
You have succeeded in making me want all three though. Beautiful photography as always Rob.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its so hard to choose lol. I pretty much agree with all your points and was thinking the same. Once it warms up we need to try and get you a box of my corals dude.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its so hard to choose lol. I pretty much agree with all your points and was thinking the same. Once it warms up we need to try and get you a box of my corals dude.
Do not tease me about the coral :)
I’m totally down with going shopping at the Chalice Palace. I’m going to need a full color high definition photo of every piece you have.
Seriously though, that’s a great offer, you’re very kind. I doubt I can afford your high end tastes though, every piece you have is top shelf.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would actually be surprised, some are pretty reasonable. Seriously though once it starts getting to be that perfect weather, you pay for a label and we will get you some stuff. I got some nice stuff that you will like that won't break my bank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back