OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these frags almost 2 weeks ago in the mail. All are doing well except for one up top that came in rough. Hopefully later today or tomorrow I will get them in the rock work. I’ll cut the stems off the plugs and mount them on discs.

6deff9c4ecf62a1836017b95846ba333.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the time to mount most of the new frags. Placed them in the rock work. The places aren’t 100%, have to see how they all respond. Took a few pictures, acans are still mad from the process.

72ef8941bd443893ae3d2c719f8714d3.jpg

d6e02f19faedc02cae0f82c09ed94a9d.jpg

362b8bd756c83b7b3253a7d248d16538.jpg

0ab6faa1bec6224f53e44baa26cf3fb7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your coral choices. Mine will be LPS and Zoa dominant once I finally start putting some in. Your tank is looking great.

Thanks! LPS and zoas are definitely my favorite. I got a bunch of zoas to grow out and frag. Debating if I should put some in the rock work. Thinking about maybe on the vertical part of the rocks

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought id share my only other tank. It’s an IM Nuvo 10g I’m using as a frag tank mainly to grow out zoas.

eda8ec2e76bca0fb4e5f78eb2ef5b1fa.jpg

It’s been set up for about two months and I have some tester frags in it. So far things have been going just ok. A couple zoas aren’t opening, the others are fine and growing but the colors leave something to be desired.

I’m not sure if it’s lighting(using a cheap China led fixture) or maybe lack of life. I have no live rock but do some marine pure spheres from my 30L in the back. No fish, only 2 snails. Tank has been looking pretty sterile but a little bit of film algae just starting growing on the glass within the past two weeks.

Originally I wasn’t going to put any fish in it but I decided that one small one will probably be good for the system and corals. I want a utilitarian fish that will benefit the aquarium . So either a blenny for algae or small wrasse for possibly pests. I thought I probably won’t have a lot of algae in the tank. Plus a blenny would probably just get used to pellets or mysis and wouldnt touch the algae if it were to grow(I hear this is common). So I decided on one of the smaller wrasses that maybe would go after some tiny pests if they were to arise .

The only wrasses I know of that might be suitable for a 10g are a possum or a pink streaked wrasse. On LiveAquaria they have the possum listed at 10g and pink streak at 15g. I really like the look of the pink streak wrasse so that’s what I decided to go with. I know the tank is a little small for him but I hope he will do well.

I knew they are a little hard to find but I got lucky and found one pretty quick. I went on liveaquaria about a week ago, they were out of stock, I entered my email to notify when they were available. Over the weekend I got a email saying one was available. I ordered it and he has been shipped all ready for tomorrow delivery. This is the first time I’ve ordered a fish online. I’m pretty nervous as I hear stories about how their fish die a lot, so I’m hoping for the best. Luckily they have a 14 day guarantee, worst case, I’m out 30 bucks. I’ll be sure to take extra care while acclimating it though.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink streaked wrasse for the 10g nuvo came in this morning. Upon opening the box he didn’t look to great, kinda just laying on his side and barely moving. Floated the bag, dripped and put him in the tank.

He went straight for a spot in between the shelves of my frag rack. I had the lights off not to shock him but there was some ambient light from the room. He just laid there on his side again for four hours while the lights were off. Turned them on and within 15 minutes he was out exploring the right side of the aquarium.

I’m pretty happy so far considering this is my first online fish purchase. I didn’t realize how small they were. It was listed as medium in size but if I had to guess he’s maybe 1”- 1 1/4”. Full grown I think they get 2 1/2”. Thinking he will do well, just hope he eats easily. Here is a not so great picture of the little guy, isn’t he cute?

5d52a1d7056be7dcefde59c24b43984e.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also made a few purchases today. I ordered a used Ai Prime HD for the nuvo 10g. Four chalices frags, one of them is really nice. They’re supposed to be delivered Thursday. And last but certainly not least a Gryphon Aqua bandsaw so I can frag LPS corals. I’m pretty excited to play with the bandsaw.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I am curious to see how the PSW does. I was considering one for my 30L. That or a Lubbock's/Tricolor Fairy Wrasse.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also made a few purchases today. I ordered a used Ai Prime HD for the nuvo 10g. Four chalices frags, one of them is really nice. They’re supposed to be delivered Thursday. And last but certainly not least a Gryphon Aqua bandsaw so I can frag LPS corals. I’m pretty excited to play with the bandsaw.
Great choice of light for that tank. PSW is perfect for that tank too. Good to hear you’ve got the saw, I know who I’m going to for quality chalice frags at affordable prices :)

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I’m happy with it. It’s just I see some of the scapes people do with the stax rock and I’m just like wow! I do think it’s working well as Im into the chalices and favias and the scape gives me plenty of flat spots. With limited space I’m not really glueing too much down as I’m sure I’ll have to be fragging in the future

d7ae09db0e3b6c648af84360f4df36fb.jpg

0e9c14eec2451352ace256ca704f08f8.jpg

7228e32b79988401b7989c566cbf20a2.jpg

Pretty nice what you have done with this tank ,, awesome coral choices :) I am going to look forward to watching the corals mature in this tank ,, at least till you start fraging them lol I do have a question though :) the rock you have in your tank ,, I am setting up a Chalice only tank ,, a friend has suggested that I buy the Stax Rock for my new tank ,, I am wanting to know how many boxes of the Stax rock you have in this tank ,, want to get an idea of how many I would need to buy for my tank.

I have a coral suggestion for you also :) a Yellow Submarine Favia ,, a really nice Favia ,, Cherry Corals sells frags ,, they call the coral something else though ,, Full Tilt Favia :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice of light for that tank. PSW is perfect for that tank too. Good to hear you’ve got the saw, I know who I’m going to for quality chalice frags at affordable prices :)

Thanks, I think the wrasse is going to work out well. Maybe down the road I can get a small possum wrasse for him so he’s not lonely lol. And yea I’ll definitely hook you up with some frags when it’s time. I’ve never shipped or fragged lps before but you will be a good test.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty nice what you have done with this tank ,, awesome coral choices :) I am going to look forward to watching the corals mature in this tank ,, at least till you start fraging them lol I do have a question though :) the rock you have in your tank ,, I am setting up a Chalice only tank ,, a friend has suggested that I buy the Stax Rock for my new tank ,, I am wanting to know how many boxes of the Stax rock you have in this tank ,, want to get an idea of how many I would need to buy for my tank.

I have a coral suggestion for you also :) a Yellow Submarine Favia ,, a really nice Favia ,, Cherry Corals sells frags ,, they call the coral something else though ,, Full Tilt Favia :)

Thank you, I have 20lbs of the staxx rock in this tank. Think that amount worked well. I would have liked it to be a little higher up but because of the shallow depth it would of been hard to make the flat ledges. What are the dimensions of your tank you are planning on using the stax with? Do you have a build thread, I would be interested in following?

Yes the yellow sub is definitely one on my list. A local reefer has one so I’m hopping once it grows out maybe we can make a trade. If not I’ll probably get one eventually. I have two other ones that are kinda similar the wolverine paw and favia of the gods.

404db87db50152c0e93ba2c3cfc04232.jpg

dcc5dbd8d58ecb8c833fc77c7630aa04.jpg

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that Wolverine in my tank at one point ,, dang thing never grew for me,, I will try it again when I can get a frag. My new chalice tank will be a lot like your tank just a bit shallower :) 48x24x15 external Reef Savvy overflow box ,, no tank build yet, but I will put one up when I get the tank, have pretty much everything bought for it except the lights :)

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that Wolverine in my tank at one point ,, dang thing never grew for me,, I will try it again when I can get a frag. My new chalice tank will be a lot like your tank just a bit shallower :) 48x24x15 external Reef Savvy overflow box ,, no tank build yet, but I will put one up when I get the tank, have pretty much everything bought for it except the lights :)

It’s actually been a pretty good grower for me. Can’t wait for you to get it going, chalices are definitely my favorite coral.

I also love shallow reefs, this one is 13” high. My depth is only 11” because of the back compartment. Really wish it was wider so I could have more space to put frags for the bottom.

I would think for yours, you would need at least 40-60lbs depending on how high and open you want your scape. They come in 20lb boxes so I would start with 2 boxes and go from there.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Kamoer X1 Bluetooth doser and some cool magnetic 3D printed single dosing line and temp probe holders for the 10g frag tank. I’m going to be dosing All for Reef which is a single dosing solution for Alk, Cal, Mag, and trace. Nice simple and cheap dosing solution for a nano

e705fc27f31b366930d872ca8646439f.jpg

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think for yours, you would need at least 40-60lbs depending on how high and open you want your scape. They come in 20lb boxes so I would start with 2 boxes and go from there.

Thanks for the advice ,, I ordered the 40# box ,, Pretty much think my scape will look a lot like your's ,, only so much you can do with a shallow tank :) with the overflow box I am using ,, water depth will be at 13" in the tank ,, when you put that new saw to work ,, give me a heads up for chalice frags :) I am going to have a whole new tank to fill ,,

Back