Rob’s 30g Tonga Shroom Garden

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you‘re going to be in need of a bigger tank soon. Aren’t you about out of room at this point? Love it though, the frags you get always look awesome.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you‘re going to be in need of a bigger tank soon. Aren’t you about out of room at this point? Love it though, the frags you get always look awesome.

Thanks bro, yea that is the main reason why I want to slow down on coral, room. I did sell about 15 pieces when I sent to the frag swap. But I still have four frags racks in the tank that are pretty much full of zoas. Problem I have now is if I cut them, I don't really have anywhere to put um. My master plan was to buy zoas, grow them out, then cut it in half . Take one half and glue them in my tank for display pieces. Then use the other half as a grow out to frag and sell. Thats is the reason I set up the 10g frag tank. Now that I have taken it down my tank is stuffed, I think I'm just going to get rid of the cheaper zoas to make room. It's just really hard to decide lol. I have one rack full of the ones that aren't doing good, thought about chucking them but I would hate to do that. I was thinking about setting up another display tank in place of the 10g but am undecided. I kinda want to get back into the backpacking hobby and one tank is easier to care for while I'm away. I was thinking about getting a puppy as well and that would be another added responsibility. So we will see how it all plays out. I should have just set up a bigger tank to start with. Maybe I can squeeze another rack in somewhere hahaha

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a plan for you. Get yourself a 40b with a hang on filter or AIO kit and your six line wrasse to use as a frag tank. Keep it really simple. The zoas like dirtier water anyway. That will give you plenty of room without the need for a lot of maintenance. Then you can turn the 30 into a show tank for your best stuff and get rid of all the frag racks. Actually you could probably finance the whole thing by selling off some frags of those high end chalices. I mean, you already have the saw, right?

Oh, and BTW, getting a puppy is never wrong.

30032558-DB26-4342-821D-9C629CBA8750.jpeg

He’s 4 now but this was the day we brought him home. All 3.9 pounds of him. He’s 65 pounds now. Border Collie/Lab mix.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was pretty much my idea. I think the one of the problems with the little 10g is I didn't have any live rock or sand. I did have some marine pure in the back but I just don't think it was enough. I just don't know what else it could haver been. All numbers were good and stable with a doser. Only other thing I can think of is maybe a containment got into the tank. I did try big water changes but it didn't help. If I do set up another one I would probaly go with the lagoon 25 and might consider making it a frag tank with rock. You are right about the chalices, they just grow so slow though lol.

Man that puppy is so cute, what's his name?. He is a big boy, guessing because he is mixed with a lab. I was looking into getting a Boarder collie and from what I read they don't get quite that big. I really want one because they are suppose to be good hiking dogs. Only thing that turns me off is shedding, we really need a dog that doesn't shed. Right now I'm thinking about a standard schnauzer.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pretty much my idea. I think the one of the problems with the little 10g is I didn't have any live rock or sand. I did have some marine pure in the back but I just don't think it was enough. I just don't know what else it could haver been. All numbers were good and stable with a doser. Only other thing I can think of is maybe a containment got into the tank. I did try big water changes but it didn't help. If I do set up another one I would probaly go with the lagoon 25 and might consider making it a frag tank with rock. You are right about the chalices, they just grow so slow though lol.

Man that puppy is so cute, what's his name?. He is a big boy, guessing because he is mixed with a lab. I was looking into getting a Boarder collie and from what I read they don't get quite that big. I really want one because they are suppose to be good hiking dogs. Only thing that turns me off is shedding, we really need a dog that doesn't shed. Right now I'm thinking about a standard schnauzer.
That’s Milo and yes he is super cute and he’s well aware of this fact lol. Shedding will be a problem with a Border Collie, we have one of those too. It’s not that big of a deal though unless you have an allergy problem and need a non shedding hypo allergenic breed. Otherwise I would highly recommend getting what you know you’ll like. Border Collies are super smart and just generally awesome dogs but so are like a 1000 other breeds, I pretty much like them all. I’ll throw in a pic of a full grown Milo and also our BC Molly who is 8 and then I’ll quit spamming your build thread with my dogs.

1ADC8804-DEA1-4FBE-8AF4-856001EB6F87.jpeg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s Milo and yes he is super cute and he’s well aware of this fact lol. Shedding will be a problem with a Border Collie, we have one of those too. It’s not that big of a deal though unless you have an allergy problem and need a non shedding hypo allergenic breed. Otherwise I would highly recommend getting what you know you’ll like. Border Collies are super smart and just generally awesome dogs but so are like a 1000 other breeds, I pretty much like them all. I’ll throw in a pic of a full grown Milo and also our BC Molly who is 8 and then I’ll quit spamming your build thread with my dogs.

1ADC8804-DEA1-4FBE-8AF4-856001EB6F87.jpeg

Wow look at Milo, really handsome dog, that’s a great mix. He does look like he could get into some trouble lol

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new camera today. Was playing around with it and got a few decent shots. Still trying to figure it out but I think they came out pretty good.

PB0401112.jpg

PB040171.JPG

PB040123.JPG

PB040121.JPG

PB040016.JPG

PB040164.JPG

PB040119.JPG

A couple Eating Mysis

PB040126.JPG

PB040101.JPG
Amazing looking pictures as usual. Nice job of catching the mysis being consumed.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall the tank is doing well but am having a couple small issues. I'm having algae growing on my frag plugs. I don't know what it is, my no3 and po4 levels are low and I have been dosing vibrant for the past month or so. It doesn't seem to be helping to much this time. I stopped dosing it because I noticed my alk consumption went down about 15% and colors aren't as vibrant. Im not sure what to do with the algae, I manually remove it and tried some peroxide dips but it keeps returning. I almost want to get some hermit crabs but are afraid they will tear up my lps when I feed. Half my zoas still aren't doing great, it's like they do well then just go down hill again.

Have been really enjoying this new camera but unfortunately I had an issue with it so I sent it back. Hopefully I will have a replacement sometime next week.

Some more photos :cool:

One of my favorites
PB040167.jpg

Speckeld Kraks
PB050209.JPG

BSA Fuego
PB050180.JPG

Lenny lol
PB050233.JPG

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last update the zoas have been improving. Every day I have been blasting them with a turkey baster and feeding them benereef with aminos. The ones that were doing bad are slowly starting to open, fingers crossed they don’t go back down hill again. I’m not sure why it is helping as I don’t see anything on the zoas but hey if it’s working.

And what update wouldn’t be complete without some pictures

Green micro acan
04265519-D71F-4C23-B1F1-A71746F300A4.jpeg

Rainbow hornets
B9EB7C18-7D72-4562-BF2A-A524F14C648D.jpeg

BSA Yellow flame
1193279C-D250-4C25-B78A-3D1C05F5C76A.jpeg

Deadpool electus
CE1CE190-70E6-48DD-A184-73F4971CFFB9.jpeg

Spicy lemon favia
DF00D0B4-394F-42F5-BFB8-13A65FEA435C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need another tank for frags. I been throwing around the idea of getting a 25 lagoon. I still do have the 10g set up though. I think I’m going to try and change out all the water and see if I can get it going again. I really don’t want to have to clean it all out and wait for another cycle but maybe that would be best? I’m not sure what the issue with it was but maybe changing out the water will help. I’m thinking of putting a skimmer on it to try and help to oxygenate the water as I have pretty low ph in my tanks. Friday I am going to a reef shop in Wilmington to trade some chalice frags for a few fish and some cash. He messaged me this morning and said they came in and are eating well. I’m getting a red headed goby, green banded goby, and a Banggai Cardinal. I hope everyone gets along and it won’t be too many fish, the gobies are pretty small though. I don’t know if I should put them in the 10g to observe before they go in the main tank. I have never quarantined in the past and have always been lucky.

My two clowns “Dumb and Dumber” and you can see my firefish “Dart”
59034333-789B-4FF6-BD4F-7457DB75C7FD.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need another tank for frags. I been throwing around the idea of getting a 25 lagoon. I still do have the 10g set up though. I think I’m going to try and change out all the water and see if I can get it going again. I really don’t want to have to clean it all out and wait for another cycle but maybe that would be best? I’m not sure what the issue with it was but maybe changing out the water will help. I’m thinking of putting a skimmer on it to try and help to oxygenate the water as I have pretty low ph in my tanks. Friday I am going to a reef shop in Wilmington to trade some chalice frags for a few fish and some cash. He messaged me this morning and said they came in and are eating well. I’m getting a red headed goby, green banded goby, and a Banggai Cardinal. I hope everyone gets along and it won’t be too many fish, the gobies are pretty small though. I don’t know if I should put them in the 10g to observe before they go in the main tank. I have never quarantined in the past and have always been lucky.

My two clowns “Dumb and Dumber” and you can see my firefish “Dart”
59034333-789B-4FF6-BD4F-7457DB75C7FD.jpeg
Looking good as usual. I really like those Green banded gobies. I want to have a pair or trio eventually.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new fish today. I just got done drip acclimating them and everyone seems great. my other fish don't seem bothered, Im quite thrilled. The store I got them from said they were all eating so we shall see tomorrow.

You can see here the Green Banded goby right next to my lawnmower blenny and he is chill
PB220248.JPG

Red Headed Goby
PB220236.JPG

Banggai Cardinal
PB220259.JPG

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish are doing good and all eating. I told you guys I had some algae issues and I think its because of the new 6-1 aminos I was dosing on top of me starting to use benereef daily. I took a tooth brush to all the frag plugs that had algae, also pulled the racks out to get algae off. I am going back to just feeding mysis only and switching back to the KZ LPS aminos. Im not sure what else it could be so we will give this a shot.

Tomorrow is my Birthday so I ordered myself some chalices. Went a little overboard but they are awesome pieces
Rainbowchalices112619.jpg

Also got a baby Jawbreaker mushroom as a freebie which is awesome because that's all I needed to fill out my electus collection
PB260316.JPG

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been try to figure out what to do with the nuvo 10g I have. I did have it set up as a frag tank but for some reason it didn’t do well. I think one of the reasons could have been is I didn’t have any rock. I was bouncing the idea of replacing it with a 25 lagoon but then I would probably have to buy another light, skimmer and build a stand. For some reason today I got in my head to turn the 10g into an sps tank. I’ve never really had sps and think a challenge would be fun. I hear they are especially hard keeping them in a nano. I had some old rock in the garage so I put together a scape. I had a few little pieces of the stax rock left that I super glued. Hopefully they hold but they seem pretty strong. I think it turned out pretty good but it kinda looks like a lot of rock. What do you think?

245F117F-6215-44F0-8340-1579E8D11C7E.jpeg

6CDA8EC3-473F-4817-A227-55BF9D5EBEFF.jpeg

B3BC0B10-F3CE-4679-B83D-EB1AC5C16EBC.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been try to figure out what to do with the nuvo 10g I have. I did have it set up as a frag tank but for some reason it didn’t do well. I think one of the reasons could have been is I didn’t have any rock. I was bouncing the idea of replacing it with a 25 lagoon but then I would probably have to buy another light, skimmer and build a stand. For some reason today I got in my head to turn the 10g into an sps tank. I’ve never really had sps and think a challenge would be fun. I hear they are especially hard keeping them in a nano. I had some old rock in the garage so I put together a scape. I had a few little pieces of the stax rock left that I super glued. Hopefully they hold but they seem pretty strong. I think it turned out pretty good but it kinda looks like a lot of rock. What do you think?

245F117F-6215-44F0-8340-1579E8D11C7E.jpeg

6CDA8EC3-473F-4817-A227-55BF9D5EBEFF.jpeg

B3BC0B10-F3CE-4679-B83D-EB1AC5C16EBC.jpeg
I dig it. Maybe just do 1 or 2 really nice pieces and try to keep it really stable at first. See how it goes and maybe add another piece or two down the line. Could be a really cool little tank.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it. Maybe just do 1 or 2 really nice pieces and try to keep it really stable at first. See how it goes and maybe add another piece or two down the line. Could be a really cool little tank.

That’s the plan. With this being new rock, Im going to have to wait for a cycle. I really want to try and be patient enough to do a long cycle to get rid of the uglies but I’m not sure. Didn’t you do the 4 month cycle but are still having algae issues?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do a 4 month cycle but I made a couple of mistakes. One was not doing a big enough water change to really drop nitrates before I put in fish. I’m convinced that is part of the current outbreak of algae, it just took a while to manifest. Second was the lack of utilitarian fish as part of my stocking plan in order to have something to really keep it at bay from the start. Third was the decision to feed heavily from the start. I wanted to really fatten up my fish to keep them healthy but that comes at a price in terms of water quality, especially because my skimmer is underpowered for my tank, even though it’s made specifically for my tank. It would be fine if I had two fish and no corals but that’s not the case. The galling part of that is the clownfish really have not grown or put on the weight I expected them to, unlike the wrasse and the two dartfish which are very healthy looking. If I was you I’d try to find a couple of people on here running sps dominant nanos successfully and try to copy from someone who’s already made it work.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back