OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that's dope!!! i read you were done with chalice's?just done buying or cleaning out ur stash? i have been droooling for years on these 3 chalice's im so happy they are so puffed up an happy with my water gonna throw them on the rocks tomorrow and with good luck they like the spots i haven chosen

Just done buying them, any that don't end up dying I will keep. I have all ready lost a bunch of nice ones but have quite a few at a buddy's seeing if he can get them to recover. Chalices are just too finicky but they were always my first love in corals. I can't imagine what the sps guys have to deal with and losing corals. Im pretty sure it was from my lighting but I'm not 100% sure which sucks lol. My ICP tests didn't come back perfect but I didn't see anything overly alarming. I am going to send out a couple more tests here in the coming months and try to get everything more in line.

I hope they do really well for you. What are you running for lights and at what setting and intensity? Do you have a build thread? If not, get on it bro lol

Last edited:

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one thing i can tell you is most chalice growers grow exclusively under blue light. They tend to melt under uv an violet you have to bring those up slow

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one thing i can tell you is most chalice growers grow exclusively under blue light. They tend to melt under uv an violet you have to bring those up slow

Really, never new that,great info. That’s what probably did mine in then, I turned up violet and UV.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, never new that,great info. That’s what probably did mine in then, I turned up violet and UV.
My new chalice isn’t doing well at all. Wonder if the lighting could be why? If mine doesn’t make a comeback then maybe chalices are a coral I stay away from.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as power brick mounting, I know there are lots of mounting sold as accessories (brackets and such) but I have done all mounting with self adhesive Velcro that I bought off Amazon. It is easy to use and makes it so that if I ever need to pull anything off to adjust or move etc. I'm not having to re-drill screw holes or leave screw holes behind.
f463d6d132544940bb81c6620953169e.jpg
9a21c9c0ab28e3d25f0e360b8098803f.jpg
I love that power bar! Where did you get it? I also use Velcro to attach everything inside or outside of my tank because it makes for easy removal and does not leave holes.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new chalice isn’t doing well at all. Wonder if the lighting could be why? If mine doesn’t make a comeback then maybe chalices are a coral I stay away from.

I doubt it unless you put it up really high. Chalices are so finicky. Did you check all you parameters?

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that power bar! Where did you get it? I also use Velcro to attach everything inside or outside of my tank because it makes for easy removal and does not leave holes.
Those are the DJ power strips, you can get them on amazon.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type of chalices do like lower light though compared to some others. I would just put it off to the side but not shaded in a lower flow area

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type of chalices do like lower light though compared to some others. I would just put it off to the side but not shaded in a lower flow area
That’s what I did, sort of. I don’t know that there’s such a thing as a lower flow area of my tank right now due to a new wave maker I had to get. You’ll see next time you pop over to my thread, stuff been happening :).

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did, sort of. I don’t know that there’s such a thing as a lower flow area of my tank right now due to a new wave maker I had to get. You’ll see next time you pop over to my thread, stuff been happening :).
Man I must not be getting notifications again :mad:. I’ll check it out tomorrow, I’m wiped

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm thinking of getting the lagoon 25. Are you happy with a the equipment you use, or do you wish you had done anything different?
Very happy, wouldn’t buy anything different if I had to do it again. I’m using 2x Ai prime HD lights with 3D reefing diffusers. 2x sicce 1.0 for redundancy with RFG nozzles. 2x NeoTherm 50w, again for redundancy. Smart micro ATO and IM reservoir. The Icecap K1 skimmer. I like the skimmer so much I recently took the cadlights one out of my 30L and put the K1 in. Intank fuge basket with an amazon LED for the light. The IM UV light and a MP10 for flow. An IM media caddy on the other side and an apex EL. If you have heat issues I bought a nice wall mountable fan from Walmart that works really well.

thjones29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy, wouldn’t buy anything different if I had to do it again. I’m using 2x Ai prime HD lights with 3D reefing diffusers. 2x sicce 1.0 for redundancy with RFG nozzles. 2x NeoTherm 50w, again for redundancy. Smart micro ATO and IM reservoir. The Icecap K1 skimmer. I like the skimmer so much I recently took the cadlights one out of my 30L and put the K1 in. Intank fuge basket with an amazon LED for the light. The IM UV light and a MP10 for flow. An IM media caddy on the other side and an apex EL. If you have heat issues I bought a nice wall mountable fan from Walmart that works really well.

So your chambers (left-to-right) are:
1) Media Caddy
2) Icecap K1 Skimmer
3) Return pumps,heaters, probes
4) ?
5) InTank Fuge

What media do you use?

Do you use marine pure block or anything to counter the bare-bottom?

Sorry for the interrogation, but trying to make informed decisions before I purchase! I know a little information and experience can save a lot of headache and $$$.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your chambers (left-to-right) are:
1) Media Caddy
2) Icecap K1 Skimmer
3) Return pumps,heaters, probes
4) ?
5) InTank Fuge

What media do you use?

Do you use marine pure block or anything to counter the bare-bottom?

Sorry for the interrogation, but trying to make informed decisions before I purchase! I know a little information and experience can save a lot of headache and $$$.

It's no problem, love to help. Everything is right except the forth chamber is the Fuge and the 5th(overflow chamber) is the UV sterilizer. I just use the poly-fil stuffing in the top of both the media basket and the innovative marine UV. I do not use and bio media at all. Only media I run is carbon changed once a month. I try to use the fuge to control the nitrates and phosphates by adjusting the photo period. Works pretty well but sometimes I have to dose Phosphate RX in the skimmer to bring po4 down a bit.

I had some marine pure in my 30L but took it out after aluminum showed up on an ICP. I have now turned the 30L into a frag tank and took out all the rock. I ended up buying some Siphorax which is a Bio Media made out of sintered glass to handle everything. I heard pretty much all the ceramic medias leach aluminum. Some people say it doesn't hurt anything but I would rather not have it in my tank. I think if you have rock, you will be fine. Just slowly build up the fish load. I feed pretty heavy and have 7 fish, no problems. I did have 8 but I found one of my mollies dead the other day. Not sure what happened :(

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know now that I am thinking about my chamber layout. I wonder if it is better for the water to go through the UV to the fuge or media basket to the fuge. Im not sure if the UV would hurt any pods or if they could even get through the poly-fil filter floss and it doesn't matter, something to think about. Maybe I should just swap the media basket and the UV for the heck of it.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt read the full thread. I viewed the pictures on page 1 and wanted to say great job! Tank looks so good.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back