OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xD even ur new tank looks like a display tank at my LFS xD not healthy hoarding all these beautiful corals rob xD send me some chalice's
i just don't understand how you can get away with placing them so close !!!!!! I have corals in my lil 17g that have begun duking it out at 5 plus inch's a starter goni that is somehow reaching in 3 directions to beat the crap out of few grand in chalice's......im just dumfounded here you have ruined my day with this....this i can't even if you were in my guild you would get no heals from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, thanks bro I try hard to keep my tanks nice. Such a shame I lost so many chalices or I would definitely have some frags. I do have a few I could cut though. Just trying to decide what to do. They are one of my coral loves and one day I hope to get back into them.

I have never really experienced too much coral warfare at all really. When I had the chalices in the 30g if something got knocked on top of them I lost some stuff. The Gonis are one I try to keep things away from. Maybe because mine are still small they don’t get bad. I did have one that stung something that was next to it on a frag rack. None of my chalices really fight and never really have even when I had a ton. Most of mine are all the same species.That picture is a tiny bit old but I have recently mounted more acans to rock while clearing a space for blastos. I got a bunch of nice ones and a few more coming so want a little Blasto area. I had started picking up some favias. They were in the 80g but after making room I moved them to the acan tank. Hopefully I can keep the warfare down between them and the chalices, it’s pretty packed. No heals huh? Lmaoo. I have played video games in a bit, really need to pick them back up.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been pretty bad about updates. Overall things are going well. If anyone ever has any questions please feel free to PM me or post it. I’ll try to do a maintenance update how I’m doing things soon.

For now a photo dump

Wish I could remember the name of this Asian acan from BSA. I think Sunshine something maybe
509CB000-B1D6-4C4F-B230-D5C9627978D1.jpeg

My BSA Jawbreaker acan that finally decided to pop a baby after forever. Probably my favorite one
731081A9-CACE-4EA0-9D5B-21881EF6A7E5.jpeg

6DF740B2-5527-44D8-94C7-2277A26F828B.jpeg

Some new Gonis I have growing out. Really like the glitter bomb
4598C417-DE07-49AB-B032-FD1D633E14A1.jpeg

This is my Goni rock. I’m going to be putting frags of the ones im growing out on it. Want to wait till I cut it first so I have a growing out fragging piece. Hopefully I can fit them
C8B8F566-7BAB-4A43-BC4C-935AC30BD0D7.jpeg

Next we have a couple random rhodactis mushrooms
5EEA9E35-E23E-46FB-85E3-84FF54334877.jpeg
83E83355-797A-4DA5-AD95-FCA9E17726B5.jpeg

These rhodactis I think have some bounce potential a few look like they are just starting and the first two have one bubble
DD08F9F0-29EB-4602-B6D2-69F7A3F2845D.jpeg

8FABD4F5-52A0-4559-9049-FD4FDC6C0FF0.jpeg

8AC0DDC5-FE95-4E66-89E8-238468D837DE.jpeg

CDB23198-9549-4257-A27D-8F8C711733BC.jpeg

Next we have a few from my electus collection
EBC5A5B7-932F-4FE5-9F8F-E39BBDC36262.jpeg

BE002916-D3DB-4A39-8C91-AA063809410D.jpeg

94C36228-40BF-457C-8326-338AB51D40DC.jpeg

563B2EC7-294B-4F88-90BA-801A0F957D8E.jpeg

Group shot of some of them
E0A4A302-42A6-4E07-9317-6C8D0858F62B.jpeg

My dead pool finally started to get some spots coming in
8D7135C0-22FD-4EBF-91B8-D54996951E0A.jpeg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local reefer giving away a nice trigger 26 sump. I jumped on it for if I do a future build. Needs to be clean up a bit but is in good shape.

I guess he was just getting rid of extra stuff and he also had a fluval spec v little 5g all in one he was giving away as well. I don’t really need another tank but thought why not. Figured maybe I could just use the cleanest water from one my other tanks water change water to do the changes on that one. I’m back to doing weekly water changes and I think the tanks do so much better that way. I’m also back to Fritz salt and have been happy with it.

I have an extra micro ATO and I’m just going to keep it simple with just water changes and filter floss. The light it came with wasn’t great so I picked up a nicrew classic led off Amazon. Was really cheap and got good reviews. Was only $40 as well. It has two channels you can set the intensities and on/off time independently. Also a 15 minute ramp up and down just when it turns on and off. I used my par meter and got it to about 100 par at top rocks, 80 on sand bed and 60 in corners. The blue channel is set at like 70% for 10 hours then in the middle of the day the white/green channel is set to 15% for four hours

The plan is to do all nicer discoma mushrooms like Jawbreakers, candy crush, Kryptonite, deadpool and Electus.

I had left over rock and put a scape together right away. This was my first time doing something a little more fancy and I think it came out good. Also had some leftover sand from a bag I bought to put in containers for my wrasses in the frag tanks. All I spent on this tank was $40 for the light, $20 for a heater and $15 on a pack of two return pumps(saw a bit of rust on the one it came with). Not a bad little setup for $75 out of pocket. The tank does have a few scratches which is a little disappointing. I’m just hoping the mushrooms like the light.

My buddy had some extra Fritz turbo start 900 I added friday. The Ammonia is almost gone and should be good to go pretty soon.

91D81F3B-D9C6-4CCE-B864-38C9FA8CA8F8.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local reefer giving away a nice trigger 26 sump. I jumped on it for if I do a future build. Needs to be clean up a bit but is in good shape.

I guess he was just getting rid of extra stuff and he also had a fluval spec v little 5g all in one he was giving away as well. I don’t really need another tank but thought why not. Figured maybe I could just use the cleanest water from one my other tanks water change water to do the changes on that one. I’m back to doing weekly water changes and I think the tanks do so much better that way. I’m also back to Fritz salt and have been happy with it.

I have an extra micro ATO and I’m just going to keep it simple with just water changes and filter floss. The light it came with wasn’t great so I picked up a nicrew classic led off Amazon. Was really cheap and got good reviews. Was only $40 as well. It has two channels you can set the intensities and on/off time independently. Also a 15 minute ramp up and down just when it turns on and off. I used my par meter and got it to about 100 par at top rocks, 80 on sand bed and 60 in corners. The blue channel is set at like 70% for 10 hours then in the middle of the day the white/green channel is set to 15% for four hours

The plan is to do all nicer discoma mushrooms like Jawbreakers, candy crush, Kryptonite, deadpool and Electus.

I had left over rock and put a scape together right away. This was my first time doing something a little more fancy and I think it came out good. Also had some leftover sand from a bag I bought to put in containers for my wrasses in the frag tanks. All I spent on this tank was $40 for the light, $20 for a heater and $15 on a pack of two return pumps(saw a bit of rust on the one it came with). Not a bad little setup for $75 out of pocket. The tank does have a few scratches which is a little disappointing. I’m just hoping the mushrooms like the light.

My buddy had some extra Fritz turbo start 900 I added friday. The Ammonia is almost gone and should be good to go pretty soon.

91D81F3B-D9C6-4CCE-B864-38C9FA8CA8F8.jpeg
Nice score on the sump and the little tank. Throw a few of your nicer mushrooms in there and it’ll be a cool desktop or bedside display. Now I want one.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice score on the sump and the little tank. Throw a few of your nicer mushrooms in there and it’ll be a cool desktop or bedside display. Now I want one.
I’m excited and want to keep it easy. Maybe I’ll get like a small goby for it but want to keep it simple with little maintenance

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited and want to keep it easy. Maybe I’ll get like a small goby for it but want to keep it simple with little maintenance
Gotta have at least one fish. I’ve actually got a 20 long that I would love to do something super simple with but there’s nowhere to put it. My wife would put me out of the house :)

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquariumlowcost.com
Where did you get those light mounts? I just ordered a SR80 and it won’t ship until the end of January but I am trying to slowly buy everything else I need.
Aquariumlowcost.com , it’s a website from China but the mounts are really nice and only $40. I haven’t seen them in the states anywhere. It only has two height settings but I’m good with them all the way up. Works with noopsyche, AI hydra and has a eye loop to hang something like kessils. Sure you could also hang other lights as long as they aren’t too heavy. I mainly got them because the arms go out far. With the back compartment off setting the middle it’s like having a 30” tank. I’m using kessils now and really like the setup. What were you planing to do for lighting?

Last edited:

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to ask- where do get most of your acans from? They are incredible. All of them. That Jawbreaker above is just phenomenal. I placed my first order with BSA last night. Im looking forward to unpacking them this week.

You have some crazy high end stuff going. Quite the addiction eh? Haha

MinnReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquariumlowcost.com

Aquariumlowcost.com , it’s a website from China but the mounts are really nice and only $40. I haven’t seen them in the states anywhere. It only has two height settings but I’m good with them all the way up. Works with noopsyche, AI hydra and has a eye loop to hang something like kessils. Sure you could also hang other lights as long as they aren’t too heavy. I mainly got them because the arms go out far. With the back compartment off setting the middle it’s like having a 30” tank. I’m using kessils now and really like the setup. What were you planing to do for lighting?

Thanks for the info - I really like the look and the reach of those. I bought two Hydra 32HD on Black Friday to get the discount but I don’t know if I am really sold on them yet. I do have a prime 16HD over my EVO that I like but I can’t really compare it to anything else. Possibly thinking of two XR15 G5???? I have never really considered the Kessils and I don’t know why.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to ask- where do get most of your acans from? They are incredible. All of them. That Jawbreaker above is just phenomenal. I placed my first order with BSA last night. Im looking forward to unpacking them this week.

Thank you! Most of the Asian ones came from Ben over at BSA. I know he just got in a new batch. I really like the Asian ones because they hardly morph like the regular lords. Then the others I have just picked up here and there. I met a guy on FB that runs a website called reef kingdom and got a few for good prices. I would messaged him though, don’t think he keeps the site updated. Picked up a few from strictly fish Miami which I messaged on IG. A lot of times I find vendors have stuff not listed that they can cut for you then I just wait till they heal.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info - I really like the look and the reach of those. I bought two Hydra 32HD on Black Friday to get the discount but I don’t know if I am really sold on them yet. I do have a prime 16HD over my EVO that I like but I can’t really compare it to anything else. Possibly thinking of two XR15 G5???? I have never really considered the Kessils and I don’t know why.

I have the older primes HDs on my other tanks and love them. I don’t know if they really changed much on these new models but I think they are great. I would think the 32s would work really well for you. What kind corals are you planning to keep?

As far as equipment I’m just running the stock mighty jet pumps, cadlights pls 50 skimmer, the medsized IM UV with floss on top.(on the uv I did have to modify it very slightly and cut a little lip off the edge with a hacksaw blade.) Then instead of using the 4” filter sock it came with I bought a 4” net pot used for hydroponics and stuff that with poly fil filter floss. I hate cleaning socks and floss is just so easy. I originally bought an icecap filter floss cup but didn’t realize it was really deep and took so much floss to fill it.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes, I definitely have an addiction, it’s so hard not to buy :D. I picked up two more acans black Friday that are coming tomorrow. I’m too the point where I’m pulling some off the rocks to put others. I also cleared a space on the rock where I am going to do blastos. I have some other glueing and rearranging to do as well

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, I definitely have an addiction, it’s so hard not to buy :D. I picked up two more acans black Friday that are coming tomorrow. I’m too the point where I’m pulling some off the rocks to put others. I also cleared a space on the rock where I am going to do blastos. I have some other glueing and rearranging to do as well

Have you had good luck with BSA? Looking forward to seeing your pickups. Definitely watching your thread. Ill have to start from the beginning.

Have you noticed big color shifts over time from your acans? Im worried that spending all this cash will just lead me to red acans down the road. But I have kessils and T5s.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had good luck with BSA? Looking forward to seeing your pickups. Definitely watching your thread. Ill have to start from the beginning.

Have you noticed big color shifts over time from your acans? Im worried that spending all this cash will just lead me to red acans down the road. But I have kessils and T5s.

Yes BSA is great, always takes care of me. I’ve ordered a bunch of times from him. As far as acans shifting colors it’s normally the regular rainbow lords that do it to me. Some tend to go almost all red/orange and loose the greens, yellows and blues. I have noticed with dosing aminos they color better. As far as the Asian acans I found they hold their color really well and hardly shift. They also inflate huge.

HVRK23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I’d share my reefing journey. I will keep this first post updated with current full tank shots and equipment. Thanks for stopping by and Reef On!!!

IM 30L started 1/19
FTS 12/24/2019 (now is a zoa frag tank)
D427B330-E20E-4800-A169-0FBCA8FF6B57.jpg

IM 30L Equipment
2x Ai Primes with 3D reefing diffusers
2x Sicce 1.0 returns
2x Neotherm 75w heaters
Ecotech MP10
Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer
Smart Micro ATO
IM 5g Reservoir
Intank floss holder with floss
IM Midsize UV with floss
Apex EL
Neptune DOS with B Ionic 2 part

IM 25g Lagoon Started 1/20
FTS 10/04/20
8FC0F9AE-4E7C-4C08-BA04-8B1C659E5B65.jpeg

IM 25 Lagoon Equipment
2x Prime HD with 3D reefing diffusers
2x Sicce 1.0 returns
2x 50w Neo Therms
MP10
Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer without bracket
Smart ATO Micro
IM 5g reservoir
IM desktop media basket with floss
IM Desktop UV with floss
Apex EL
Kamour X1 Dosers with DIY All for Reef

Fluval Spec V 5g pico Started 12/20
FTS 12/06/20

SR80 Frag tank started 9/20
FTS 11/02/20
D8ECD6F7-5D3A-4219-BECC-A0699E3E7D6F.png

IM SR80 Equipment
2x Kessil 360x
Universal mounts from aquariumlowcost
2x IM Midsized Mighty jet returns
1x 150w Neotherm heater
MP10
Cadlight PLS 50 elite skimmer
Smart ATO Micro
Banshee 10g reservoir
4" hydroponic net pot with floss
IM Misized UV with floss
Apex EL
2x Kamour X1 pro dosers with B ionic 2 part

Fluval Spec V 5g pico Started 12/20
FTS 12/06/20

Fluval Spec V Equipment
Pulaco 95gph return pump from amazon
Nicrew Classic LED from amazon 18"
Hygger 50w heater from amazon
Floss just stuffed into first chamber

My Instagram if anyone is interested intricate_reefer

What a lovely tank!

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes BSA is great, always takes care of me. I’ve ordered a bunch of times from him. As far as acans shifting colors it’s normally the regular rainbow lords that do it to me. Some tend to go almost all red/orange and loose the greens, yellows and blues. I have noticed with dosing aminos they color better. As far as the Asian acans I found they hold their color really well and hardly shift. They also inflate huge.

Thanks for this! I get my order tomorrow I am stoked. Also happy with your experience regarding the color of asian acans. The polyps so look much larger than the average acan. One I ordered looked like it was almost 1” round. Exactly what I am looking for!

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I get my order tomorrow I am stoked. Also happy with your experience regarding the color of asian acans. The polyps so look much larger than the average acan. One I ordered looked like it was almost 1” round. Exactly what I am looking for!
You will love them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back