OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do a 4 month cycle but I made a couple of mistakes. One was not doing a big enough water change to really drop nitrates before I put in fish. I’m convinced that is part of the current outbreak of algae, it just took a while to manifest. Second was the lack of utilitarian fish as part of my stocking plan in order to have something to really keep it at bay from the start. Third was the decision to feed heavily from the start. I wanted to really fatten up my fish to keep them healthy but that comes at a price in terms of water quality, especially because my skimmer is underpowered for my tank, even though it’s made specifically for my tank. It would be fine if I had two fish and no corals but that’s not the case. The galling part of that is the clownfish really have not grown or put on the weight I expected them to, unlike the wrasse and the two dartfish which are very healthy looking. If I was you I’d try to find a couple of people on here running sps dominant nanos successfully and try to copy from someone who’s already made it work.

Fair enough, that makes sense then. Getting them nitrates down from the start is a huge deal. Great advice on following some tanks, I’ll see if I can find any nice nano sps build threads.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was tank day. Did a water change, cut frags, and cleaned the back for the very first time. Wasn’t really too much back there I was surprised. On Black Friday I picked up 2 extra sicce 1.0 pumps so I just swapped both of them out and will clean the other ones later. Figured it’s a good idea to have back ups and easy to swap so my tank doesn’t have much downtime. I’m running the same pump in the little 10g I’m cycling now.

Still working on the algae. I’m considering trying chaeto again. I ran it when I first set up the tank but I had zero nitrate and phosphate so I took it offline. I’m worried the nitrates will bottom out but maybe now that the tank is older it won’t. A local offered me some so I might grab it and give it a try this weekend.

Corals are doing good for the most part. Zoas are really bouncing back and 95% have been staying open. One chalice I had bleached out but is still alive. It was doing fine then all of sudden just started bleaching. Doesn’t seem to be receding so thats good. Not sure what it is but I put it in lower light. I did notice some algae growing right around the time of it so maybe that was bothering it. I did a light peroxide dip, hoping it bounces back. Two of my new rainbows that I just got for my birthday are having issues. Well one is actually dead the other is STNing. Not sure why but I’m thinking because they are kinda fresh cuts and haven’t been in Captivity that long. Also the water felt a little cold when they came but the other ones I got in that same box seem to be ok. Let the vendor know and he said he will replace them no problem. Feels really good when vendors look out for you.

An acan I pick up a couple months ago from a local reefer at our frag swap we have a few times a year. It’s turning out to be pretty nice and it was cheap
6E1A5758-B078-4C7C-AFA9-7B5D06C7290F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also started a build thread for the 10g if anyone is interested

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to get a good FTS shot. I still need to work on it but this is what the tank currently looks like. Can't decide if the Olympus TG6 or my iPhone 6 takes better FTS shots. The Olympus is a little clearer but the iPhone has better colors.

FTS120819.jpg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to get a good FTS shot. I still need to work on it but this is what the tank currently looks like. Can't decide if the Olympus TG6 of my iPhone 6 takes better FTS shots. The Olympus is a little clearer but the iPhone has better colors.

FTS120819.jpg
You should really think about getting some coral in that tank. There’s nothing to look at :)

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really think about getting some coral in that tank. There’s nothing to look at :)
I know right One day I’ll have a nice collection, Hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Seriously though it’s getting packed. Really surprised all the corals play nice with each other. I’m almost at the point now if I want new pieces I have to get rid of other ones.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right One day I’ll have a nice collection, Hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Seriously though it’s getting packed. Really surprised all the corals play nice with each other. I’m almost at the point now if I want new pieces I have to get rid of other ones.
I’ll send my address :)

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I found out a potential source for the algae. It turns out my nitrate test kit was bad. I got another one in and it was like 15-20 and not 2 like the old Kit was showing. I ended up putting some chaeto in the back with hopes of bringing nitrates and phosphates down.

So I decided not to set up the 10g sps tank. I ended up finding a local reefer with a 25 lagoon for sale and it was a killer deal. Picked that up Thursday and have it just about ready to start the cycle. Honestly I’m thinking about ditching the whole sps thing and just doing more lps and softies.

Also got a reef koi bounce that I traded another local for. It is my first bounce and I really like it. Makes me really want that WWC OG bounce bad lol.

82E1B477-A900-40B0-89F6-0659847E5DE5.jpeg

93D34B50-8CEF-4F52-96DB-13BEC2AC674D.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks rally great Rob. Instead of bare bottom have you considered doing some tile? If you get the right colors it can look kinda like sand but without the storm if you’re cranking up the flow for sps. There’s another build on here I follow where he did it and it looks pretty good. I’ll pm you a pic and the thread if you want to check it out. Not my pic so I don’t want to post it.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks rally great Rob. Instead of bare bottom have you considered doing some tile? If you get the right colors it can look kinda like sand but without the storm if you’re cranking up the flow for sps. There’s another build on here I follow where he did it and it looks pretty good. I’ll pm you a pic and the thread if you want to check it out. Not my pic so I don’t want to post it.

Thanks dude, yea id like to check it out. Send me a link to the thread and I'll take a look. I was really debating doing sand but figured bare bottom would be less maintenance although I do think sand looks best. Only thing I would be concerned with using tile is detritus getting under it and rotting. Just added the ammonia and bacteria in tonight so the waiting game begins.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude, yea id like to check it out. Send me a link to the thread and I'll take a look. I was really debating doing sand but figured bare bottom would be less maintenance although I do think sand looks best. Only thing I would be concerned with using tile is detritus getting under it and rotting. Just added the ammonia and bacteria in tonight so the waiting game begins.
Here’s the link. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/im-25-lagoon-boonedocks-build.612960/
I tried to pm it to you but an error message came up that said I couldn’t do that. You must have a setting turned on that’s blocks pm’s or something. Anyway, check out what he did with the travertine tile. It doesn’t seem like stuff getting under would be a problem, it looks like it’s in there pretty tight. Could always attach it all to a piece of starboard or egg crate cut to size so the pieces don’t move. I’m sure there’s a way to mitigate the potential problem. Check it out and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the link. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/im-25-lagoon-boonedocks-build.612960/
I tried to pm it to you but an error message came up that said I couldn’t do that. You must have a setting turned on that’s blocks pm’s or something. Anyway, check out what he did with the travertine tile. It doesn’t seem like stuff getting under would be a problem, it looks like it’s in there pretty tight. Could always attach it all to a piece of starboard or egg crate cut to size so the pieces don’t move. I’m sure there’s a way to mitigate the potential problem. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Just checked out that build, that tile actually looks pretty decent. Doesn’t look like too much would get under or between them either. I really like the stand he built, like the fact it was made out of solid wood. This lagoon I got came with the stand and granite top. The stand is made out of MDF which I’m not a fan of. I’m scared to screw into it to mount my controllers. I think we are going to cut some boards and silicone or epoxy them to the inside then just screw into that.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out that build, that tile actually looks pretty decent. Doesn’t look like too much would get under or between them either. I really like the stand he built, like the fact it was made out of solid wood. This lagoon I got came with the stand and granite top. The stand is made out of MDF which I’m not a fan of. I’m scared to screw into it to mount my controllers. I think we are going to cut some boards and silicone or epoxy them to the inside then just screw into that.
That’s exactly what I did in my cabinet. I have the APS aluminum stand and there isn’t anyplace to screw anything in. I cut some boards to fit in the recessed openings and bracketed them in. Then I just mounted everything to the wood. Worked great.
I don’t think there’s too much worry about anything getting under that tile the way he has them in there. I do like the way it looks. Wish I’d seen that before I put in the sand but I like the look of sand the best so it’s ok.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto seems to be slowly bringing down my No3 and Po4 on the 30L. Really hope the algae stops growing, it does seem to be slowing down a bit.

Trying to get things in order for this new tank. Cycle it almost done just waiting for the Nitrites to come down, the ammonia is now zero. It didn't come with a lid so I ordered the DIY kit from Innovative Marine. I would like a custom acrylic one but man they are expensive, plus I think they have a month or two wait time on them.

I think I decided on a skimmer, the Icecap K1 nano. It was between that and the eshops. They seemed to get about the same reviews, on both some people reported they are loud, I hope that's not the case on the one I get, my tanks are in my bedroom lol.

Im trying to figure out what I want to do as far as a controller. I have an Apex Jr I can use but have been thinking about getting another Apex EL. I really don't need it but would like to maybe run a second heater and possibly a second return pump if I can fit it. I would also like to do a back up float switch for the ATO. The Jr only has 4 plugs so that wouldn't be enough controllable outlets for me to do that. It also doesn't have an I/O port for the breakout box for the float switch. So if I kept the Jr and just added to it I would need an EB8, PM1 and a PH probe. With the math I came up with, if I bought these items new it would only be like an extra $180 more to get the EL. I think thats what I might do but I'm still undecided.

About a month or so ago my dad, brother and I poured a concrete pad for our natural gas whole home generator and they delivered it shortly after. Its been a wait to get the contractors out to hook it up. The electricians came about 2 weeks ago and then today the gas company came. Now just waiting for the generator company to come and test run everything. Its really going to give me some piece of mind knowing we will have power automatically cut back on after 10 seconds if there were to be an interruption in service. We live in a bad hurricane area in eastern NC and have had power out for over a week at times.

Finished up this semester of Classes at the community college for aquaculture. Did pretty well, two A’s and two B’s, thats good for me, I never liked school. Doing the aquaculture is really enjoyable though, especially when you have good teachers. Todd Gardner is actually one of my instructors, he is a pretty well know fish breeder, I am looking forward to learning from him. I have about a 3 1/2 week break then I go back. This new tank happened at a great time.

The Generator
IMG_7654.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae seems to be slowing down considerably on the 30g so I'm happy. Ill have to go through again and manually remove all I can from the frag plugs then hopefully it won't return. The rocks are virtually clear now.

The new 25g is going well. I found a used K1 nano skimmer that I got in today. Hook it all up and it seems to be pretty decent. I ordered the Apex EL, probe holder and a UV sterilizer, they should be here Thursday. The tank came with an Ai Prime and I have another one left over from the 10g tank. I didn't think one would have had good coverage on this tank and the two would have looked funny. I ended up finding someone local who had a XR30 Gen 3 for sale so I picked it up. I'll just sell one of the primes then keep the other as a back up. The Radion may be a little overkill lol but ill just run it low. Still need to figure out a schedule to run.

IMG_7710.JPG

Now the only thing I don't like is how big this RMS mount is. Its really wide and takes up a lot of real estate in the back. Now that I have this I don't know if I am going to be able to fit everything back there. Probably should have thought about this before getting it. I need room for the ph and temp probe holder, dosing lines, ato sensor, ato waterline, and hopefully the back up float emergency ato cut off if I can fit it. Also as of right now I only have one return and one heater, would like two of each so those will take up a little more space as well.

See, not that much space with the mount, i'm really hoping it will work. I could use the space where I have the ato line now as im not using that chamber for anything but I may use it to grow chaeto with an Intank basket in the future. If I do I imagine the ato waterline is fine there. Would just have to move it whenever lifting out the basket. Not sure if it would hurt the chaeto if I dosed two part on top of it but that might be my only option to fit everything.
IMG_7711.JPG

Back of the 30g so you can get a sense of how much room is required for all my nerdy gear lol. I think its going to be a tight squeeze on the 25g
IMG_7712.JPG

So the cycle is finished on the new tank. I just have to do a huge water change. I am making up the water now and will probably get it done tomorrow or the next day. Next up is the first fish. I am thinking of adding some clownfish first. This time I want to get some designer ones. I just have some regular mochas in the other tank. I really like the black storm clownfish and was going to go with a pair of them but came across these bullethole clownfish online. This is a WYSIWYG pair. What are you guys thoughts, do you like these or black storms? Im really torn between the two and they are about the same price.

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 9.37.31 PM.png

Black storm not WYSIWYG, I would have to try and find a pair but this is an example

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 10.05.33 PM.png

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae seems to be slowing down considerably on the 30g so I'm happy. Ill have to go through again and manually remove all I can from the frag plugs then hopefully it won't return. The rocks are virtually clear now.

The new 25g is going well. I found a used K1 nano skimmer that I got in today. Hook it all up and it seems to be pretty decent. I ordered the Apex EL, probe holder and a UV sterilizer, they should be here Thursday. The tank came with an Ai Prime and I have another one left over from the 10g tank. I didn't think one would have had good coverage on this tank and the two would have looked funny. I ended up finding someone local who had a XR30 Gen 3 for sale so I picked it up. I'll just sell one of the primes then keep the other as a back up. The Radion may be a little overkill lol but ill just run it low. Still need to figure out a schedule to run.

IMG_7710.JPG

Now the only thing I don't like is how big this RMS mount is. Its really wide and takes up a lot of real estate in the back. Now that I have this I don't know if I am going to be able to fit everything back there. Probably should have thought about this before getting it. I need room for the ph and temp probe holder, dosing lines, ato sensor, ato waterline, and hopefully the back up float emergency ato cut off if I can fit it. Also as of right now I only have one return and one heater, would like two of each so those will take up a little more space as well.

See, not that much space with the mount, i'm really hoping it will work. I could use the space where I have the ato line now as im not using that chamber for anything but I may use it to grow chaeto with an Intank basket in the future. If I do I imagine the ato waterline is fine there. Would just have to move it whenever lifting out the basket. Not sure if it would hurt the chaeto if I dosed two part on top of it but that might be my only option to fit everything.
IMG_7711.JPG

Back of the 30g so you can get a sense of how much room is required for all my nerdy gear lol. I think its going to be a tight squeeze on the 25g
IMG_7712.JPG

So the cycle is finished on the new tank. I just have to do a huge water change. I am making up the water now and will probably get it done tomorrow or the next day. Next up is the first fish. I am thinking of adding some clownfish first. This time I want to get some designer ones. I just have some regular mochas in the other tank. I really like the black storm clownfish and was going to go with a pair of them but came across these bullethole clownfish online. This is a WYSIWYG pair. What are you guys thoughts, do you like these or black storms? Im really torn between the two and they are about the same price.

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 9.37.31 PM.png

Black storm not WYSIWYG, I would have to try and find a pair but this is an example

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 10.05.33 PM.png
Awesome tank, just stumbled across your build, amazing work. I'll be following along now :)

I have a personal preference for mocha storms!

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank, just stumbled across your build, amazing work. I'll be following along now :)

I have a personal preference for mocha storms!

Thank you!!! I really like the Mocha ones as well, much more than the orange ones. They must be newer as they are a lot more expensive.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few shots of my bullet hole, different than the ones above. She is pretty awesome as well! (Last 2 pics are very old, don't judge me! ;Hilarious )
20190525_145538.jpg
20190217_112419.jpg
20190217_112416.jpg
)

Wow she looks awesome, thanks for sharing! That recent picture is a great shot. Im kinda leaning towards the bullets holes because I feel like they would stand out more than the black storms. Then again I could just skip the fancy clowns, get some basic orange ones and spend the left over money on more coral hahaha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back