Rob’s little slice of salinity. (Melbourne Australia)

RobbieMVFC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System Objectives:
To feed my addiction to this beautiful but crazy expensive hobby

Type of reef:
SPS reef with few LPS

Initial Fill Date:
26/12/2016

Display Tank Dimensions:
5x2.5x2 with perimeter bracing and a centre brace. 2 sides with low iron

Display Lighting:
Giesemann infiniti 2x250w MH & 4x 80w T5s
with some cheep blue LEDs as a moon light

Stand:
Built from marine ply and pine with a few coats of enamel paint

Sump
Standard 3 part sump with an extra section for RO
1050x600x500

NSW or ASW:
AWS Red sea (Blue bucket)

Display Water circulation:
1 Tunze 6095 (with backup battery) 1 6055 & a 6105
2x Jeabo rw15s (were on trial now gone )
Return Pump:
Vectra M1
Skimmer:
RE Bubble king double cone 250
Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze ATO /APEX

Extras
Hellia 1000 chiller

SO....Just prior to Christmas I took delivery of the tank . I filled it and then on boxing day in the following few days (once all the parameters were correct)
I transferred all my live stock from their holding tanks into the new tank.
it been had holding steady since but I was facing a battle with cyanobacteria.

You would think after 20 years in the hobby that I wouldn’t make basic errors. This would be true however I sometimes operate on half a brain.
For months I was saying to myself, it’s just the natural progression, just let it run its course because I had a new sandbed.
Then I had one of those periods of operating on half a brain and in the blink of an eye I had a box of Chemiclean in my hand.
I am adamant that I used it as recommended and dosed slightly less than recommended.
None the less in the coming 2 weeks I had STN and for reasons I cannot explain I lost all my Millipora’s.
I also had some STN on other two Acros but managed not to lose the whole colony.
I lost most of the colour from the rest of my SPS.
I also had a month where I was reminded how expensive this hobby can be.
Out of the blue one of my 250w MH globe blew.
So I decided to replace both globes (Giesemann MEGACHROME blue 21k)
At $180 each I took a hit there and as expected a week after I replaced the globes the ****** Jeabo wavemakers gave me hell. one died and the other wasn’t turning over half of what it originally doing.

So I reinstalled my Tunze 6095 & 6055 and purchased a 6105. There goes another $400+.
A few weeks ago I lost one of my paired Banggai Cardinal who had been sick with an inflated tummy for at least 6 months. I had had the pair for at least 5 years so it was very sad to lose him/her.
I have sinced replaced it but I think I now have two of the same sex as the don’t like each other and hang out at different ends of the tank.
All in all things are finally looking up with colour retuning to most of my SPSs .

BUiDsuvAUz7

BUiEAImAqI4

BQleSU8ARfM

BQleW6FggXU

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mate.
Yes that's right and along side the 2 x 250w MH globes (Giesemann MEGACHROME blue 21k). What did you decide to run in the end?
Okay nice. At the moment I've got 2x Coral plus and 2x Actinic along side a Megachrome crystal 17.5k. The actinic were meant to be Blue plus' but they got it wrong on the order. I like the look but its hard to judge until there's coral under it. I may change an actinic and coral plus out for 2 blue plus'
But i'll wait and see :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back