OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New chalices came in this morning. They have been in the tank about an hour and are looking awesome!

542048b45c0165460cfea787f3d5eaba.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those from :)

From someone off the FB group “Official Zoa, shroom, and LPS page” People post some nice stuff in that group.

Here is a small colony picture of that nice green one with the purple streak. It might just be my favorite chalice at the moment, can’t wait for it to grow out

6b1f83fcd9393a680b18f792828af0ee.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New chalices came in this morning. They have been in the tank about an hour and are looking awesome!

542048b45c0165460cfea787f3d5eaba.jpg
Those are all really nice. I gotta say, yours is becoming one of my favorite tanks on here. You have a great plan and the diversity of colors is amazing. Great job.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all really nice. I gotta say, yours is becoming one of my favorite tanks on here. You have a great plan and the diversity of colors is amazing. Great job.

Thanks man it means a lot. I ended up getting rid of all of the Acro frags I had except one. I just wanted to test and see how well they did. Things went ok except I couldn’t seem to get the flow right for the only place I wanted them to go, so a few got some stn. Also they weren’t really all that colorful. I might eventually end up getting one or two more at some point. Maybe a WD or something super nice. Here is an updated shot with them removed and the new frags in place.

a69c4f089af929f1ab75eb0c5003ed2b.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot has been going on. Just been trying to get my phosphates down. I’m not having any algae issues but it’s a little high at .1-.25. I have been trying gfo and lanthanum. The gfo seems to get used up fast. It will go down buy .1 or so then just raise back up by the next week. I’m not sure if I have po4 in my rock and it just gets released after the levels drop. I heard this can happen but my tank is so new I’m not so sure. I’m going to be using the lanthanum this week and try testing every day or two.

I am also dealing with some problems with a few of my zoas not opening. The problem seems to be slowly spreading to other frags that were healthy. I’ve tried some dips. Iodine, coralrx, furan 2 and nothing is really helping. I’ve never seen any pest so my guess is some kind of bacterial or fungal problem which I hoped the furan 2 or iodine would help with. Tonight I tried some hydrogen peroxide and I’m really hoping it will help.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot has been going on. Just been trying to get my phosphates down. I’m not having any algae issues but it’s a little high at .1-.25. I have been trying gfo and lanthanum. The gfo seems to get used up fast. It will go down buy .1 or so then just raise back up by the next week. I’m not sure if I have po4 in my rock and it just gets released after the levels drop. I heard this can happen but my tank is so new I’m not so sure. I’m going to be using the lanthanum this week and try testing every day or two.

I am also dealing with some problems with a few of my zoas not opening. The problem seems to be slowly spreading to other frags that were healthy. I’ve tried some dips. Iodine, coralrx, furan 2 and nothing is really helping. I’ve never seen any pest so my guess is some kind of bacterial or fungal problem which I hoped the furan 2 or iodine would help with. Tonight I tried some hydrogen peroxide and I’m really hoping it will help.
Sorry to hear about the zoas closing up. Seems like you’ve tried just about everything. You didn’t mention a big water change, have you done that at all? Never hurts to reset the water when nothing else is working, right?

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing a Chalice & Acan tank once before in a 40g Breeder tank ,, I just never could get the flow right in it ,, kinda like the same problem you had with your SPS corals ,,, I ended up selling the tank ,,, that was dumb ,, it was a nice tank ,, at least I got a good price for it :) that's why with the new Chalice tank 2 ,, I bought a 4' tank ,, hoping I didn't mess up buying two MP10s for it instead of two MP40s ,, we will see ,,

I am keeping the chalices I have been buying in my regular display tank until the new chalice only tank comes in ,, they are starting to grow ,, so the last few days I have been mounting them onto the Stax rock I had bought for the Chalice only tank ,, figured I had better get them growing on the rock they would end up being on ,, I have been doing the same with my Favia frags ,, just got a new one from J Fox ,, Toro Bravo ,, if you don't have that one ,, take a look ,, its nice ,, J Fox sent me a chunk of a frag :)

I want you to put me on the list for a frag of that new chalice you just got ,,, you know the one lol I can pre pay :)

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the zoas closing up. Seems like you’ve tried just about everything. You didn’t mention a big water change, have you done that at all? Never hurts to reset the water when nothing else is working, right?

The hydrogen peroxide seemed to help a little. No I haven’t dont a big water change but I religiously change 20% a week. It’s probably worth a try, couldn’t hurt anything. It’s happening with zoas in both my 30g and 10g so I’m not so sure it’s a water issue

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrogen peroxide seemed to help a little. No I haven’t dont a big water change but I religiously change 20% a week. It’s probably worth a try, couldn’t hurt anything. It’s happening with zoas in both my 30g and 10g so I’m not so sure it’s a water issue
If its happening in more than one tank and at least some of the zoas in each came from the same place then I’d think there’s something they brought with them or was introduced. Wish I could be more helpful but I don’t have a lot of experience with coral pests or irritants. Seems like you’ve covered all the bases with the peroxide and the other things you’ve tried. I hope it works itself out. Good luck.

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing a Chalice & Acan tank once before in a 40g Breeder tank ,, I just never could get the flow right in it ,, kinda like the same problem you had with your SPS corals ,,, I ended up selling the tank ,,, that was dumb ,, it was a nice tank ,, at least I got a good price for it :) that's why with the new Chalice tank 2 ,, I bought a 4' tank ,, hoping I didn't mess up buying two MP10s for it instead of two MP40s ,, we will see ,,

I am keeping the chalices I have been buying in my regular display tank until the new chalice only tank comes in ,, they are starting to grow ,, so the last few days I have been mounting them onto the Stax rock I had bought for the Chalice only tank ,, figured I had better get them growing on the rock they would end up being on ,, I have been doing the same with my Favia frags ,, just got a new one from J Fox ,, Toro Bravo ,, if you don't have that one ,, take a look ,, its nice ,, J Fox sent me a chunk of a frag :)

I want you to put me on the list for a frag of that new chalice you just got ,,, you know the one lol I can pre pay :)

That sucks you couldn’t get the flow right. It’s definitely really important to the corals. I only have one mp10 at 30% on this tank. It seems to be working well. The acans are nice and fluffy and the chalices don’t show any stress. I do have two sicce 1.0(251 gph each) returns with rfg nozzles. I think 2 mp10s will be more than enough for chalices. What is the depth and height of the new tank?

Nice so you all ready starting to collect some chalices. Which ones have you gotten so far? I actually have none of my frags glued down lol. I have them packed because I like a huge variety. Figure when the grow I’ll just put them on bigger and bigger disks then frag. The stax rock makes it perfect for this as it’s so flat. I did have to get rid of my trochus snails as they were getting big and becoming lilttle bull dozers. Now I only have some astreas and no crabs, can’t risk them little buggers.

Man that toro bravo is nice. JF really has some top notch stuff. I’ve been to his house years ago and was blown away with his setup. Favias, acans, and chalices are my all time favorites. They really have some colorful favias that have come out the past few years. I think they are an underrated coral, plus they are super easy, a lot easier than chalices.

I know the one your talking about lol. I got you once it grows out. Chalices seem to grow so slow, especially the nice ones, at least for me. I do have low ph so that could be part of the cause. I really like that one though as its unique. I’m kinda over the normal rainbows as most of them all look the same to me. Really looking for a variety of stuff that stands out. This is the next one I have my eye on.

e2de5c60b5573de456aec2966a3332cd.jpg

Last edited:

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 48x24x15 will have a 13" water depth ,, That Chalice looks like one ASD sells ,, they call it a Rainbow Convict ,, I have a new one coming Thursday from J Fox ,, its a 2 eyed frag of his Sun Drop Chalice ,, I tried to make a deal with a Reefer on R2R for a very chunky Pink ******* Chalice yesterday ,, spent most of the day working on that ,, in the end I didn't get it ,, jmo he didn't seem into the deal so much ,, I have to find me a new source for Chalices ,, I will have a whole tank to buy for :) I am running out of Chalices I like from the vendors I look at :) I am getting down to ,, well that's the best one they have left :(

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 48x24x15 will have a 13" water depth ,, That Chalice looks like one ASD sells ,, they call it a Rainbow Convict ,, I have a new one coming Thursday from J Fox ,, its a 2 eyed frag of his Sun Drop Chalice ,, I tried to make a deal with a Reefer on R2R for a very chunky Pink ******* Chalice yesterday ,, spent most of the day working on that ,, in the end I didn't get it ,, jmo he didn't seem into the deal so much ,, I have to find me a new source for Chalices ,, I will have a whole tank to buy for :) I am running out of Chalices I like from the vendors I look at :) I am getting down to ,, well that's the best one they have left :(

I think two mp10s will be good for that dimension. I really like that size as well, love shallow tanks. Yea it’s the rainbow convict but this one has a lot more green unlike some other ones I’ve seen. That sun drop looks pretty nice, really like the orange eyes. Sorry the deal didn’t work out, finding nice chalices is difficult and expensive lol. I’ve had good luck finding some people on FB but they have been cracking down on the groups lately. I’ve also bought from BSA corals which I was happy with. You kinda gotta stalk the site for good deals. I’ve seen a few different looking rainbows from pacific east aquaculture that look pretty nice and they run 30% off sales here and there. I have a regular pink ******* that for some reason lost color and hasn’t really returned. I wonder if fragging it would help. One I do have that’s a similar color with a green rim is the WWC kingpin. I’ll probably end up fragging it once it covers the 2” disc, it’s a fast grower. Imo it looks a lot better than the pink *******

Pink ******* in green, wwc kingpin in yellow, some no name I fragged recently in red
4bc659b072141cbd3c1ad3800adbde38.jpg

OP
OP
intricate_reefer

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most have been opening more but the colors are terrible. I really don’t know what the deal is. I’m probably done with zoas lol. And of course it’s all the higher end ones that got sick. None have melted but they aren’t really growing. Im just going to stick to my lps for now on. Today I did wake up to one of my chalices that fell down on top of one of my nice favias. Nothing happened to the chalice but half the favia melted. Hope the other half makes it. It’s my fault because I don’t have anything glued down and a stupid snail knocked it over. Might be time to rehome a couple snails and get some smaller ones.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the Favia but those things happen. Might be time to start gluing some of those chalices down though. I’m planning on lots of Zoas but the high $ ones scare me with the melting possibility. That’s why I got the test frag of Devils Armor. I figure if I can keep that one alive for a while then I’ll be good for others. You didn’t really want zoas anyway, taking away room that could be for more chalices.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my coral frags that I place ,, where I am not sure I will leave them long term ,, I use just a dab of glue to hold them to the spot ,, just enough where I can easily pop it loose ,, but enough so the crabs and snails can't move it ,,, I got tired of them knocking frags all over the place :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back