Robert’s RedSea Reefer 350 build!

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up R2R. I’m a brand new member here and starting on a big journey within my reefkeeping life.

I first started out with a mixed reef in 2002. I was 17, living at home and put way too much money into my tank. I was young and not really into the science of it all. One day I came home and the bottom of my front glass pane had cracked and everything was on the ground. I was done with reefkeeping that second.

Fast forward to 2017. I’m in my 30s now, have a couple kids and particularly my daughter who loves fish so I decided to get back into it. My wounds hand healed.

I started with an AIO IM 14? gallon peninsula which lasted like 3 months until I “graduated” to a JBJ 30 rimless AIO. I’m currently running 2 MP10s, a cadlights nano skimmer, some other filter media and for lighting I’m running a nanobox duo.

Well now it’s time to graduate again to a real tank with a sump. Something where I can keep my parameters in line easier and something where I can keep some more fun livestock.

So I’ve ordered the following

- Reefer 350 with white stand.
- I’ll be using 2 Hydra 52 HDs for lighting.
- 2X Maxspeed XF230s (1 advances controller)
- Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer
- Reef Octopus VariouS-6 return pump

I’m on the fence whether to go with an Apex or not. I got the VariouS so I can use it with the Apex if I go that route. I like the idea of the control of the Apex- just don’t know if I want to shell out the extra $$ tbh after everything I’m putting into this so far.. Convince Me one way or another?

I’ll probably throw an MP10 on the back wall somewhere to get some extra random flow- but from what the 230s look like I may not need that?

Crushed coral for substrate- I’m over dirty sand.

I’m planning on splitting the skimmer chamber to grow chaeto as well - any advice on that?

I’m pretty intimidated/inexperienced with plumbing. I know the return is a hose vs PVC - is that something I should change?

Do you have any other recommendations for adjustments to the plumbing? I see people with shut off valves, other sorts of stuff I have no idea about- please any input is appreciated.

I imagine I’ll start running a reactor or 2 in the future- not to start tho as it’s just too much to process through right now for me.

Cheers and I’ll appreciate any and all feedback along the way.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The Reefer series from Red Sea really is a great tank regardless of being brand new or an experienced hobbyist. The plumbing will really depend on whether or not you're going to hard plumb or use flexible hose. There are numerous build threads, guides, and Red Sea Reefer specific threads that show great ways to build and maximize space for a manifold. I personally 100% recommend hard plumbing with a manifold over simple tubing, but keep in mind that the cost is more expensive and requires a lot more patience and work.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, be sure to take lots and lots of photos :D
SevereWavyGoldeneye.gif

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the VarioS6 for awhile but never integrated it with my apex. Aside from adjusting flow I never had a real use to have it run directly off the VDM port.

Unless it’s a closed look system ramping the pump up and down VIA apex is going to trigger your ATO. However the one plus is you can use the VDM for the pump and have it powered off the energy bar giving you one extra slot.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Warrenville! Who did you order from?

I ordered from fish tanks direct. Spoke with them yesterday and they’re seeing what they can do to try and find me a V3.

Nice to see some southwest suburban people on here. All the groups I see are all Chicago based- we need to create a frag group out here!

Got the update from MD today - On Thursday my gyres, return pump and skimmer arrive.

Question on moving livestock from 30 gallons to 90 total volume- should I essentially let this new tank cycle and then acclimate everything over? If it was a smaller increase I wouldn’t think twice about this but I’m not really sure on protocol when I’m tripling total water volume.

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake from fish tanks direct just called me and let me know he got a V3 sump and the tank is shipping my from Florida on Thursday!

Thank you again Ly78 for letting me know about the refresh.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back