Robert’s RedSea Reefer 350 build!

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from fish tanks direct. Spoke with them yesterday and they’re seeing what they can do to try and find me a V3.

Nice to see some southwest suburban people on here. All the groups I see are all Chicago based- we need to create a frag group out here!

Got the update from MD today - On Thursday my gyres, return pump and skimmer arrive.

Question on moving livestock from 30 gallons to 90 total volume- should I essentially let this new tank cycle and then acclimate everything over? If it was a smaller increase I wouldn’t think twice about this but I’m not really sure on protocol when I’m tripling total water volume.
I got my 425 from Reef Plus in North Aurora. Ordered end of Dec, V3 wasn’t out yet. He delivered, built stand, installed plumbing and filled with salt water for around $200. But I’m a steady customer he pretty much matched the price everyone sells for although some online places dont collect tax.

I think the main issue is having enough rock or bio media to handle the load. I went from a 65 to about 100. I cycled it, I did buy marine pure balls and had them in my old sump in advance to help with cycling. I went ahead and cycled with Dr Tims and took my time to be safe. I did all new sand and rock. The old tank had way to much junk on the rock, star polyps, apitasia.

How many fish, coral, etc do you have. Do you plan to keep your old sand or start it fresh? It might be doable with seeding some of your old sand, using whatever media you had in the old tanks sump (if you had one).

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots has happened since we last spoke-

I spoke with Jake at fishtanksdirect on Monday about the V3 sump and he said he see what he could do on getting me one. Jake called me back on Tuesday afternoon letting me know he had spoken with his distributors, had found a V3 and he would ship it on Thursday from Florida to Chicago.

Wouldn’t you know it- I get called FRIDAY MORNING from the shipping company for delivery. They delivered it Friday at 3PM CST. What the freaking heck. Transit time of 1.5 days. I’ll take that every time!

So Friday’s deliveries looked like this.

fdd7bf634cc0f9ea5be9674f4274c723.jpg

15a05e108369506af3f38bc922e0b905.jpg

I had my gyre 230s, varios6 & my curve 5.

So last night I started assembling the cabinet (by the way- it’s ******* heavy)

7a308bc0f68162a45ccffb4525a99183.jpg

6ce8873ad8c3d02150a0a2ca24720ac2.jpg

I got it completed last night along with a new coffee table & runner table? for the wife. That’s my angle fellas- new tank for me & a couple new things for her.

Today I got the sump in before my wife said “let’s take the kids to the shedd aquarium” so my day stopped there.

de828495b373c96d2b8876d7a4925716.jpg

ERROR - I have encountered a problem this morning. The provided return tubing does not fit the varios6 return pump. What’s the best fix for this? I didn’t really want to mess with hard plumbing the return but now I may have to? Has anyone seen an easy fix for this? Heat up the return tubing and see if it will stretch?

While I was figuring out where to mount the varios6 controller I just decided to pull the trigger on an apex as well. Wish I didn’t have to part with the cash but I figure let’s do this thing right.

I think I will build a manifold eventually once I get into running a reactor or two but for me it’s just about taking a step at a time. I’m not even dosing my JBJ30 nor do I have a refugium so those are my first 2 steps I need to take with the bigger tank.

BONUS!! My rainbow split last night. It must know it’s about to get a lot more room to stretch out in.

Mid Split
4b470fd7ff633e08e467a20c94d14d3f.jpg

This afternoon
7ae587202255c1c7c0dbad63a09a0564.jpg

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they haven’t updated the drawing up the sump on the box from v2 to v3? The pipe should go all the way to the left I think. Does the stand have adjustable feet? Not sure if they just added those to the 425 and 525 xl models?

Key thing is the fuge section in the sump.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used silicon hose that I bought on amazon. 3/4” ID, 1” OD. Much more flexible. Is this the green vinyl type hose you have?you might try soaking the end in boiling water for a minute or 2 to soften it up.

I have vectra M1.

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they haven’t updated the drawing up the sump on the box from v2 to v3? The pipe should go all the way to the left I think. Does the stand have adjustable feet? Not sure if they just added those to the 425 and 525 xl models?

Key thing is the fuge section in the sump.

Hey Phil

I believe the sump is in correctly. The stand has a few included clips that the plumbing locks into. The main and emergency lines go to front right (gate? valve is now in the front and easily accessible). And the return hose(line) is back right. Front left is refugium and back left is skimmer chamber.

The self leveling feet were on bigger models.

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got the tank up on the stand. Wifey pitched in and got one side. Which I was kind of surprised about- I know 150 isn’t very much between 2 people.. I need to up my opinion of her core strength I guess.

413de4e54974bf010130578a025c8f9c.jpg

The most annoying part of this has been the freaking styrofoam. Hate styrofoam.

e7384a039649c91a4f41f9815cb62eef.jpg

Now [2 things I’m concerned about]

1 - are these heights correct in my overflow? I thought the return on the right was the main overflow but it’s higher than the emergency?! What gives?...

f49f0c320d8303010e3845e747bd0c9b.jpg

2 - this is the front right corner. Is it missing silicone in the corner?... looks like it to me. ☹️

060d74918cd6bb019988e59b8eab07bd.jpg

b7c7ab97e565120dbbf5bdee56acaf01.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts on the over flow and corner.

Last edited:

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow looks fine. Mine setup just like that. Frankly i didnt check the internals tho... filled her up, no leaks good to go heh

Last edited:
OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow looks fine. Mine setup just like that. Frankly i didnt check the internals tho... filled her up, no leaks good to go heh

So correct me- is the right overflow line the main? Or the middle? Does your emergency line always have water running through?

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh moment. Just realized the silencer on the main overflow line has gaps on the bottom.. so it doesn’t raise the water level. ‍♂️ ignore me.

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So correct me- is the right overflow line the main? Or the middle? Does your emergency line always have water running through?

I just set up my RSR 350 this weekend too! The overflows look good, the far right is the main drain and the center is for emergency.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back