Robo tank - ATO - AWC - Tunze Osmolator 3155

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robo tank - ATO - AWC - Tunze Osmolator 3155

I have all of the above for my new build.

ATO - Plan is to use the Tunze system to control water level, But use the Robo tank ATO to monitor water levels (high and low) and provide alerts if the water levels drop to far. In theory the Reef pi should be able provide a graph of the ATO usage based on the sensors, it does not need to know it is not running the ATO pump... the tunze system will do that.

AWC - Here I am thinking that the Tunze will be plugged in to the Robo tank power bar, when the AWC timer / macro is triggered it will turn off the Tunze controller power supply and complete a water change using the reef-pi sensors. This will happen once a day using a dosing pump or a small pump - off time min 5min. Would you turn of the tunze power supply off once a day without issue?
The tunze and reef-pi full sensor would need to be at the same level... or could the tunze sensor be used for both?

OR - sell the tunze and only use reef pi - I like the reliability of the tunze, especially when i am away on holiday or work.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to use a system designed for ATO use to do water changes. The Tunze pump isn’t designed for that kind of use. I always kept a couple of the pumps in reserve. An they will wear out over time. A peristaic pump works better. As a pump that has an impeller is not really designed to be turned off and on a lot so will wear out over time.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my ATO I will be using a r385 mini digrpham pump. I like it because i can mount it like a peristaltic pump, but don't have to deal with all the noise and i expect it to have a bit more flow. If it works out I will buy two more and it for AWC (but probably won't, I don't care about automating water changes. I like to do manually cause that is when i reach into tank and rearrange stuff and it doesn't take much time to change water)

1617137049409.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can figure out the pinout of the optical sensor on Tunze you could likely connect to both. I don't think it would hurt any to turn it on/off every day, if you don't the alarm will go off every time you drop the water level.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob - sounds right. Not planning to use the Tunze for AMC.
Just want to turn off the Tunze and complete AWC using another pump.

If you can figure out the pinout of the optical sensor on Tunze you could likely connect to both........... yes I like this idea.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't help with the sensor, if I can't try it myself or know from other good source I try and stay out, last thing I want to do is help ruin something.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back