Robo-tank temperature probe instructions.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robsworld78 does anyone have a link to a tutorial or forum post on how to install the temperature probe for robotank and reef pi?

ds18b20-1-wire-waterproof-digital-temperature-sensor-probe-1-meter-cable-109-800x800.jpg

not sure exactly what im supposed to do with this and i dont want to start doing things without instruction

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robsworld78 does anyone have a link to a tutorial or forum post on how to install the temperature probe for robotank and reef pi?

ds18b20-1-wire-waterproof-digital-temperature-sensor-probe-1-meter-cable-109-800x800.jpg

not sure exactly what im supposed to do with this and i dont want to start doing things without instruction
Hi, here's a link showing how to connect those to the main controller.

Here's the manual for the sensor extension.

And here's the manual for the equipment extension.

If you need anything else let me know.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @robsworld78 hey i was wondering if one of you guys can help me out with configuring my temp probe. i plugged it in and im not really sure what to do after that. following the instructions i first went to the temperature tab and found nothing under the sensor tab. then i figured maybe i need go to the connectors then inlets and configure it that way to show up as a sensor. but i dont know what pin the temp probe is. i put in random numbers assuming it might work or at least something would show up on the sensors tab but nothing.

im kinda stuck at the moment. in the robo tank controller wiring diagram it said something about editing the /boot/config.txt. i tried that and couldnt find what the instructions asked for.
boot config rpi.png
reefpiconnectors.png
tempconfig.png

trustychords

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature sensor should automatically appear in the "sensor" dropdown menu if you followed the instructions.

If you haven't already, reboot Reef-Pi and look again. Check you wired everything correctly (and then check again!). Check that there is sufficient contact between the wire and the screw terminal and that it is a tight fit.

Those temperature sensors can be finicky. I've had similar issues and the steps above resolved the issue.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature sensor should automatically appear in the "sensor" dropdown menu if you followed the instructions.

If you haven't already, reboot Reef-Pi and look again. Check you wired everything correctly (and then check again!). Check that there is sufficient contact between the wire and the screw terminal and that it is a tight fit.

Those temperature sensors can be finicky. I've had similar issues and the steps above resolved the issue.
I bought it already assembled and pretty sure I screwed it in the terminal the best I could. Ima try to reboot again on both sockets

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok I just turned off the reef pi, unplugged reef pi and then the temp probe, re screwed the wires into the terminal for good measure and now it’s showing up. Thanks!
I guess the issue was I put in the wires a bit too far.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @robsworld78 hey i was wondering if one of you guys can help me out with configuring my temp probe. i plugged it in and im not really sure what to do after that. following the instructions i first went to the temperature tab and found nothing under the sensor tab. then i figured maybe i need go to the connectors then inlets and configure it that way to show up as a sensor. but i dont know what pin the temp probe is. i put in random numbers assuming it might work or at least something would show up on the sensors tab but nothing.

im kinda stuck at the moment. in the robo tank controller wiring diagram it said something about editing the /boot/config.txt. i tried that and couldnt find what the instructions asked for.
boot config rpi.png
reefpiconnectors.png
tempconfig.png
Glad you were able to sort it out. I noticed an issue in the picture of the /boot/config.txt file. You see this line.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on,dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

That should be split into two lines without the comma like this

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Without this change you'll get errors on the pH.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to sort it out. I noticed an issue in the picture of the /boot/config.txt file. You see this line.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on,dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

That should be split into two lines without the comma like this

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Without this change you'll get errors on the pH.
I noticed while I was calibrating I would get random errors. I just ignored it and I guess things went fine. Should I change the text and recalibrate?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed while I was calibrating I would get random errors. I just ignored it and I guess things went fine. Should I change the text and recalibrate?
Yeah change the text but no need to recalibrate, it's just a random error as the incoming data isn't as expected so it gets ignored.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back