powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ongoing projects continue, this journey never ends (kinda like the internet).

For those interested in Kalkwasser and the next evolution, kalk slurry I put up a video encapsulating my efforts there.

@RobB'z Reef didn't watch the whole video but the purpose of this device is to completely skip the sump with kalk dosing?

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RobB'z Reef didn't watch the whole video but the purpose of this device is to completely skip the sump with kalk dosing?
It's to allow a much greater freedom of application in your setup and gets around the dosing rate limitations of the standard approach. It allows for a remote installation for those who don't want or can't locate a large reservoir of slurry on top of their sump etc. You don't have to dose into a high flow area in your sump as well since it's mixed inline

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick how to on expanding outlets for your Apex EB832 energy bar on my YouTube channel. Check it out if you're running shy and don't want to spend the $$ or room on a new unit.

Up next: Phyto - What, how, when, where and why.

@RobB'z Reef this really cool. I might do this for my little A/C that's dedicated to my fish room. This way I could control the A/C according to the temp of my system water since the A/C is irrelevant to house temp. The house is comfortable all summer long without any A/C. BTW I put the QuadHands on my AMZ wishlist.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RobB'z Reef this really cool. I might do this for my little A/C that's dedicated to my fish room. This way I could control the A/C according to the temp of my system water since the A/C is irrelevant to house temp. The house is comfortable all summer long without any A/C. BTW I put the QuadHands on my AMZ wishlist.
Great application idea

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next big move...

Threw them over the top just to see the visual and take a quick par measurement. Two Meso Blue's, one tropic sun. PAR was around 290 mid tank with just three bars! These are going to replace my T5's which I will retire and sell. Time to get to work to design a new floating canopy.

Screenshot_20220306-092343.png

Look with just three quantas running.
IMG_20220306_102059_636.jpg

Quantareef.com

Recently released data shows two 24" bars put out the same PFD as a gen 4 XR15 Radion, but for only $280.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next big move...

Threw them over the top just to see the visual and take a quick par measurement. Two Meso Blue's, one tropic sun. PAR was around 290 mid tank with just three bars! These are going to replace my T5's which I will retire and sell. Time to get to work to design a new floating canopy.

Quantareef.com

Recently released data shows two 24" bars put out the same PFD as a gen 4 XR15 Radion, but for only $280.
Here's hoping there will be some tank mounts. Once I move I may need to invest in one or two they look like great lights!

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next big move...

Quantareef.com

so i found my way here via google and trying to find more quanta reef users/info. Have you done a video on them yet by any chance? still making my way through your whole thread!

I'm working on trying to like a 72"x24x30 tank that unfortunately has 2 front to back braces...

curious on your thoughts on how you will use the quanta's vs dimmable t5's? (i believe i read that the quanta is not dimmable?)

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i found my way here via google and trying to find more quanta reef users/info. Have you done a video on them yet by any chance? still making my way through your whole thread!

I'm working on trying to like a 72"x24x30 tank that unfortunately has 2 front to back braces...

curious on your thoughts on how you will use the quanta's vs dimmable t5's? (i believe i read that the quanta is not dimmable?)
I will be doing a video on them and my mounting fixture for YouTube once completed. Might be a hot minute with work competing for my time these days. I'm currently redesigning my hanging solution as the Aquatic Life fixtures are going away. I got those dimmable early on when I was a bit caught up in the hype and really didn't have my science hat on properly.

The corals don't care about dimming. The fish might a bit, just from getting startled etc. If you go from dark to full on sun in an instant. The rest is all just for us. I'll be continuing use of my reefi Uno's (adding one more in and dumping the kessils) will use those for some morning and evening ramping and will pop my quantas on during peak photo period (say 4-6 hours). They are not dimmable, but I'm ok with that since I've realigned my thinking on that subject. I'm pretty excited about these and what they bring for the $$. Good timing for me too as all my bulbs are 18+months old and were due for replacement. If a guy were going to use these solely as the only lighting source (which they really could be!) I'd just pop one on in the morning via a timer etc and keep bringing more online and reverse it towards the evening to simulate ramping. The visual (to your eye) coloring of these are amazing. Others can speak to color combos I don't have. Luca has posted real and accurate data of his spectrum and that speaks for itself. With the par these three lights bring I won't be asking for much from my Uno's. Should I ever cross over into the hardcore sps realm what I have will cover me there as well.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will follow closely. The data is what has really gotten me interested (and open sourceness)...well that and the skyrocketing costs of the big names.

I agree the ramping is really only for us, and since this is a basement tank i could get away with additive brightness as your saying...hadn't thought of that yet. given size of the tank id be looking at at least 4 bars id say, if not 5....but that will still easily beat the cost of 3 of anything else.

I'm definitely spoiled by the AI app as i have a hydra and nero pumps on my current tank.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will follow closely. The data is what has really gotten me interested (and open sourceness)...well that and the skyrocketing costs of the big names.

I agree the ramping is really only for us, and since this is a basement tank i could get away with additive brightness as your saying...hadn't thought of that yet. given size of the tank id be looking at at least 4 bars id say, if not 5....but that will still easily beat the cost of 3 of anything else.

I'm definitely spoiled by the AI app as i have a hydra and nero pumps on my current tank.
You plan on a controller of some sort? I mean simple wifi smart plugs would work as well. Plenty of options across the spectrum of price that can handle all that. I'll just be using my Apex to control the bars for on and off since I already have it anyhow. What sort of corals are you going for? The big names in lights are stupid expensive, even the ones that are undeniably great lights are still overpriced IMO for how mature the technology is. I have a lot of regret hanging over my tank currently lol. But live and learn i guess, part of the journey.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes will most likely be apex controlled, but haven't made a final FINAL decision haha. I purchased the tank used and in my excitement forgot to look at the top brace, my original plan had been two Sky's since they seemed to be winning the par/spread per dollar for a bit...but braces led to the likely need for 3 lights if going the "traditional" route and subsequently sent me looking for other options. Happened to see someone i follow on instagram (who i believe is local to mahina) post about the quantas and started digging.

Everything im hoping to grow in the tank would be supported based on the par maps Luca has posted so realistically not much holding me back from going with them other than finalizing a plan.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes will most likely be apex controlled, but haven't made a final FINAL decision haha. I purchased the tank used and in my excitement forgot to look at the top brace, my original plan had been two Sky's since they seemed to be winning the par/spread per dollar for a bit...but braces led to the likely need for 3 lights if going the "traditional" route and subsequently sent me looking for other options. Happened to see someone i follow on instagram (who i believe is local to mahina) post about the quantas and started digging.

Everything im hoping to grow in the tank would be supported based on the par maps Luca has posted so realistically not much holding me back from going with them other than finalizing a plan.
Right on! I'm confident you'll sort out a plan! Luca is about 4 hours drive from me. I went to his place to pick up the lights and spent some time there visiting and taking Reef. Was fun

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Wisconsin Reefer here. It was so cool to read through your entire build! We will be moving to our new house in October and I will have a VERY similar setup to yours, albeit with the furnace in a different spot in the fish room! It was great to see how you problem solved a lot of the same issues I will be going through in the near future. I currently have a 60-gallon cube but am excited about the space upgrade. I am looking for something in the 180-220 range slightly used. If you hear of anything let me know! I am willing to drive!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Wisconsin Reefer here. It was so cool to read through your entire build! We will be moving to our new house in October and I will have a VERY similar setup to yours, albeit with the furnace in a different spot in the fish room! It was great to see how you problem solved a lot of the same issues I will be going through in the near future. I currently have a 60-gallon cube but am excited about the space upgrade. I am looking for something in the 180-220 range slightly used. If you hear of anything let me know! I am willing to drive!
Welcome! where in Wisco are you at? I'll keep my eyes open, I run across stuff all the time.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

It is with no small level of regret that I write this, but I will no longer be updating the build thread here going forward. I have moved it over to HumbleFish and will be revitalizing it there. I have a ton of exciting reefing projects in the works and I will be documenting them over there from here on out. I have also copied the core of my content over to my new build thread on HumbleFish.

The only regret is that I've met SOOO many cool people on here and that has truly made this hobby all the more fun and successful for it. That being said, I cannot stay here and support the current owner of this platform and still reconcile that to my own value system. This struggle is completely separate from the good folk that are still here and I have thoroughly enjoyed interacting with over the years. For those of you who have taken the time to read this and follow me, I sincerely thank you. It is just time.

For anyone wanting to remain in touch or if you have any questions I am not leaving social media and I remain very active elsewhere. I will continue to develop my YouTube channel with the focus on helping folk solve problems. I am very active on Instagram and will be active on the HumbleFish forum.

You can also reach me at [email protected]

instagram.com/robbucek/

Last edited:

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

It is with no small level of regret that I write this, but I will no longer be updating the build thread here going forward. I have moved it over to HumbleFish and will be revitalizing it there. I have a ton of exciting reefing projects in the works and I will be documenting them over there from here on out. I have also copied the core of my content over to my new build thread on HumbleFish.

The only regret is that I've met SOOO many cool people on here and that has truly made this hobby all the more fun and successful for it. That being said, I cannot stay here and support the current owner of this platform and still reconcile that to my own value system. This struggle is completely separate from the good folk that are still here and I have thoroughly enjoyed interacting with over the years. For those of you who have taken the time to read this and follow me, I sincerely thank you. It is just time.

For anyone wanting to remain in touch or if you have any questions I am not leaving social media and I remain very active elsewhere. I will continue to develop my YouTube channel with the focus on helping folk solve problems. I am very active on Instagram and will be active on the HumbleFish forum.

You can also reach me at [email protected]

instagram.com/robbucek/

Can you fill me in? I am just joining the party. I was only active for WWC live sales prior to yesterday lol

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back