Rock Advice!

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased 160 gallon saltwater tank. I’m at the stage now where I am ready to start laying out the rocks and sand into the aquarium. I was originally planning to purchase live rock that is covered in coralline algae, but I have ran some numbers, and it would cost me roughly $500. It is a bit over my budget. I have been thinking that I may just buy dry rock. The thing is that I would like to get that nice purple color to give my tank that established look. There is no purple dry rock at my nearby LFS, so I will have to purchase and ship it online from somewhere. What recommendations do you guys have for affordable yet quality purple rock?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a mix of live and dry rock. What ever your budget is buy some if each. In years past folks like me would get base rock(dry or live) and top it with some live rock. Eventually it will all become live over time.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a mix of live and dry rock. What ever your budget is buy some if each. In years past folks like me would get base rock(dry or live) and top it with some live rock. Eventually it will all become live over time.

That is very smart! I had not thought of that. Thanks for the advice!

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry more about getting the rock structure/ shape you like, than the color, because you will have to live with that longer. If you add live rock or seed with coraline by scraping it from another tank it will all turn purple eventually and hopefully be covered in coral. Plus, IMO the purple rock you buy does not really look like coraline, the color is slightly off and its applied in such a solid fashion that it does not mimic how coraline grows, in areas exposed to light.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry more about getting the rock structure/ shape you like, than the color, because you will have to live with that longer. If you add live rock or seed with coraline by scraping it from another tank it will all turn purple eventually and hopefully be covered in coral. Plus, IMO the purple rock you buy does not really look like coraline, the color is slightly off and its applied in such a solid fashion that it does not mimic how coraline grows, in areas exposed to light.

Thanks for the advice! I have went ahead and purchased mostly dry rock and a couple of pieces of live rock. Although coralline algae will eventually take over the rock, I’m trying to figure out some methods of accelerating the growth of coralline. I’ve heard about products in bottles that may increase the growth rate, but I want to make sure that it actually works and won’t affect my water quality.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard about products in bottles that may increase the growth rate, but I want to make sure that it actually works and won’t affect my water quality.
I don't know how the bottled products work, but if your tank is happy and stable it will take over without any extra effort from you. At some point you will be tired of scraping it off your glass. Happy aquascaping !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back