Rock Curing Container - Not Brute

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

New to reefing, just recently established my first tank, a Fluval Evo (Build Thread).

I am also in the process of setting up a Red Sea Max e260. I just purchased rock that I want to cure in a container while I finalize the room the tank will go in and get this rock established for a quicker cycle when ready. The room is under construction at the moment so I can't fill the tank with water yet or I would just cycle it in the tank.

I know everyone uses brute trash cans to cure their rock and that it is food grade. I wanted to be able to create my aquascape now, then pick up my whole scape and place it in a container in the final configuration. I don't want to disassemble, throw the rocks in a Brute trashcan, and then have to figure it all out again when I finally fill my tank and risk bacteria dying off.

This led me to searching for containers that were almost as wide as my tank (36"). I came across this container.
Husky Container

Now it doesn't say food grade or NSF compliant, but it does say that it is made from polypropylene, which according to these two sites is safe for food, at least I think.
Food Safe Guide 1
Food Safe Guide 2

Would this container be safe to use? My plan is to store / cure the rock for about a 1.5 months until the room is ready.

Thanks in advance.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i would ;) :)

OP
OP

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I picked up the husky tote and will be getting this rock under water soon.

Thank you all for the help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back