Rock Decisions

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I have a question which I havent been able to find a lot of information on yet.

What is the general consensus of using something like Real Reef Rock vs Indonesian Dry Rock?

My current assumption/conclusion is that because Indonesian is more porous, combining it with a source of Live Rock will result in a better 'long term' outlook for the tank.

Thoughts? Im not concerned if I have a protracted stage of the 'uglies' because Im not using Real Reef Rock or something similar that comes populated with bacteria on each 'rock'

In my area it looks like I may be able to get Indonesian Dry Rock, and I have a contact that says he can sell me Live Rock as well. My thought process is - 70/30 - 70% Indonesian Dry and 30% Live Rock.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the general consensus of using something like Real Reef Rock vs Indonesian Dry Rock?

My current assumption/conclusion is that because Indonesian is more porous, combining it with a source of Live Rock will result in a better 'long term' outlook for the tank.
Not knowing if Indonesian Dry Rock will leech Phosphates makes this a hard choice. In the USA
we have marco rock which is dry mined from 10000 year old dry reefs. It has no Phosphate in it.
If its the same sort of rock then I would use it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - good question about Phosphates. There is a source nearby which is claiming No Phosphates (at least that's what they are advertising). Maybe I should buy a small amount and test if their claim is accurate.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back