Rock Flower Anemone - Any Tips on Care? Really want to Breed / Spawn them Can I mix them with other

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two sweet Rock Flower Anemones from a Frag Swap.

I have always wanted them because they are so beautiful and also because they are so hard to get.

And for those of you that have not seen one you absolutly have to see them in person as the pictures on the internet do them no justice.

I bought one Red and one Green one.

Any Tips on Care would greatly be appreciated.

Also, I really really want to Breed / Spawn them.

What conditions are ideal for that?

Lastly, can I mix them with other Sea Anemones?

I was thinking about Condylactis since they are both found in Florida.

But I hear that Rock Flowers have a Weak Sting while Condy's have a Strong Sting.

If I did this would I have to worry about the Condy's (Or other Anemones) Stinging them to Death?

The Rock Flowers seem to stay put but when I had Condy's in the Past they were all over the place moving around.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Red_ant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought about a 20lb live rock that had 10 green rock flower anemones. I would say all you need is medium/high flow and some strong light. I have the rock in the top half of my 135 cube tank with a 250 MH about 12" from the water level. The rock has been in my tank for about 5 months and I have gone from 10 to about 20 flower anemones. They are even on the glass and the top of overflow pipes.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought about a 20lb live rock that had 10 green rock flower anemones. I would say all you need is medium/high flow and some strong light. I have the rock in the top half of my 135 cube tank with a 250 MH about 12" from the water level. The rock has been in my tank for about 5 months and I have gone from 10 to about 20 flower anemones. They are even on the glass and the top of overflow pipes.

Wow how much did you pay for that rock?

Like 500.00 ?

Probably the most expensive piece of rock ever.

Red_ant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Actually the complete opposite. The guy was moving across the country and had to get rid of his left over livestock in one day. I bought some coral frags for cheap and ended up getting the rock for $15. When he pull the rock out and saw how heavy it was and all the anemones he was like I can't believe I just gave this to you for $15. :)

Ward9320

It's NOT a Nemo!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have picked that rock anemone at the Lancing swap this past weekend. I drove up to it too and of course picked up a few things, kind of hard not to.

Rock Anemones are fairly easy to keep, the easiest of anemones in my opinion. I feed mine mysis shrimp and have occasionally feed it silversides just to switch things up a bit. Mine has not spawned yet but then again I haven't had it that long.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of them and have had two of them for years. I put them in on the sandbed where I wanted them and they stayed there. The two oldest ones are the size of a softball. I occasionally feed them table shrimp, but not often. They've never multiplied.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock/Flower anemones are pretty hardy. Not rare nor hard to come by, unfortunately. You can place them on the substrate, and like any other anemone will move to where they like to be. They usually like lower flow, lower light, and end up at the junction between the substrate and the rock. I used to feed them meaty foods, like pieces of silversides. Their surface is pretty sticky, and they would wrap themselves around the piece of meat like a taco. A few minutes later they open, and the food is gone. Pretty cool. That was for the first few months after I got them and was playing, and I have not fed them for over 3 years. They do just fine and thrive without direct feeding

Here are a few photos;

These green/rust colored ones started as 2, and now there are 4. You can see a baby one to the left of the photo, and there is another baby one to the right hidden behind the big one.
attachment.php

Here is a photo of one of three black and white ones that spontaneously showed up in my tank. I never bought one this color, but there must have been a seed or spore or something on the live rock, but it took 3 years to show up.
attachment.php

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have picked that rock anemone at the Lancing swap this past weekend. I drove up to it too and of course picked up a few things, kind of hard not to.

Rock Anemones are fairly easy to keep, the easiest of anemones in my opinion. I feed mine mysis shrimp and have occasionally feed it silversides just to switch things up a bit. Mine has not spawned yet but then again I haven't had it that long.

Yes, I got them at the Lansing Swap.

I hope to get more of them at the Ann Arbor Swap Next Month.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know if these are safe to mix with a Condylactis Anemone?

They are both found in Florida.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back