Rock Flower Anemone - Any Tips on Care? Really want to Breed / Spawn them Can I mix them with other

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased from a diver in the keys last summer. I got several rather large ones and an assortment of others and purchased a few more retail. I think I have about 19 total now. But I had babies this spring. I think I had 6 in one batch and about 3 or 4 about a month later.
Mine reproduced within 6 months...

videosilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I bought two rock anemones about a year ago, each 2-3" in diameter. I started off feeding them mysis, but haven't directly fed them in over 6 months now. They are now about 3-5" in diameter depending on the day. Have never moved after I placed them on thier rocks. They just recently spawned and created approximately 20-30 new rock flower anemones. I would say the only thing necessary for breeding is good water parameters and a scheduled lighting system. Other than that, I think my spawning numbers were so high because they are relatively close to each other. Also you have to have a male and female to spawn, so not just any two rock flower anemones can spawn. The babies mostly stick near the mother anemone, although there are some that float to other spots in tank. I even have one that made it to the sump. I will post pictures shortly.

P.s. rock flower anemones do not eating living fish unless they are stupid fish haha, but shrimp are easily eaten by the rock anemones. Especially when directly feeding anemone, the shrimp will come try to steal food and end up getting stuck and eaten.

Can NOT see that happening or being a problem. I have 3 LARGE green carpet Anemones, a LARGE Sebea Anemone and a LARGE Magnificent Anemone. I had cleaner shrimp and Blood shrimp CONSTANTLY stealing food from the carpets and the Sebea. They would just jump up and down on the carpet, grab food and jump right off.

If you have ever had a carpet Anemone you will know they are EXTREMELY sticky and VERY fast to react.

So, I can not see a rock flower Anemone being a problem.

brutuscz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my rock flowers breed?? I have a red and a green right in this area. Not sure if I’m seeing baby rock flowers, aptasia or zoanthids??
C98A10FD-F8F4-4F8E-B21A-B34C60D71E73.jpeg
AE9B2822-DEB0-431C-92AD-26EB232237CF.jpeg

inurmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my rock flowers breed?? I have a red and a green right in this area. Not sure if I’m seeing baby rock flowers, aptasia or zoanthids??

Any update on them reproducing or were those aiptasia or something else?

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
C98A10FD-F8F4-4F8E-B21A-B34C60D71E73.jpeg
AE9B2822-DEB0-431C-92AD-26EB232237CF.jpeg

That looks like Apitasia
Here’s baby rock nems, first pic there’s two, to the left and behind green and orange coral, second pic there’s a rock nem in middle with Apitasia to the upper right above nem

Rabi51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 Rock Anemones a bit more than 1 year ago. I have 3 tanks and split them up. I noticed earlier this week that one of them has spawned in my 66 gallon reef where I have 2 of them. I now have 5 little ones in the tank. Two of them are green with orange centers and 3 of them are green with gray centers. I am hoping that the 3 will color up a bit more as they grow. I don't really know how I managed to have this happen but hope it continues!! :)

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 Rock Anemones a bit more than 1 year ago. I have 3 tanks and split them up. I noticed earlier this week that one of them has spawned in my 66 gallon reef where I have 2 of them. I now have 5 little ones in the tank. Two of them are green with orange centers and 3 of them are green with gray centers. I am hoping that the 3 will color up a bit more as they grow. I don't really know how I managed to have this happen but hope it continues!! :)

Would two kessil A160 WE be enough light for the rock anemone? Also when could I add them to the tank? I am a new setup , 40 gallon breeder. I am thinking in about 6 months?

Caleb barger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting one, THEY ARE SO VIBRANT! but I see all this talk about breeding... they dont split like other nems do?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting one, THEY ARE SO VIBRANT! but I see all this talk about breeding... they dont split like other nems do?

I've never heard of one splitting like bubble tip nems do. Mine spawn several times a year though as of yet I haven't raised any babies. Many people have.

There is a great thread on RFA's and their care in the anemone forum. Here's a link. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/page-22#post-6507524

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 10 and then I got about 20 babies at once. The babies grew to about 1/2 dime size, then all the babies and all but 3 of my others just disappeared. Not sure what happened. My 3 shrimp aggravate them to death as I feed them every day with mysis shrimp. My emerald crabs disappeared. As far as I know I only have 1 yellow tang, a miniature angel fish, 2 clowns, a leopord wrasse, 3 dragonets, 1 filefish and 3 shrimp..

Long shot, since this is an ancient post, but reefers are patient :]

Did you ever figure out what happened?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question can the shrimp that it aptasia eat them too or something else? I tried tree times with it,every time they seems well,then seems to hide,then disapeor or seem tonhave been hurted and then disapea? I can keep everything else but they seems to be something eating them?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question can the shrimp that it aptasia eat them too or something else? I tried tree times with it,every time they seems well,then seems to hide,then disapeor or seem tonhave been hurted and then disapea? I can keep everything else but they seems to be something eating them?

From what I have seen, no the aptasia eating shrimp can't do much to it.

Are your rock flower anemones coming in healthy or are they in poor condition. The foot should stick relatively well and not be damaged.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen, no the aptasia eating shrimp can't do much to it.

Are your rock flower anemones coming in healthy or are they in poor condition. The foot should stick relatively well and not be damaged.
They seemd to be healthy, on was very good and open during to week,in the evening she was great and the next morning very small and gutted,don't know what happened

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back