Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a tiny rock flower anemone, and it did well in my 2 to 3 month old tank, and it grew quickly and found a spot. I started adjusting the flow in the tank to better help the other corals needs, and it moved a bit, but then started moving a lot, and then it sort of disappeared into the rock crevices, and it reappeared a week later then disappeared, and about 3 months later after believing it to be dead since it was gone forever and my tank had some parameter swings. But my parameters are much better now, and my corals are doing great and the rock flower is back!! Its foot is purple/pink but it is white (bleached) which is to be expected. Should I possibly do an iodine dip on it soon? Since it's attached to a piece of rubble? And should I move the rubble to the sand for lower light? It is on the far side of the tank half way up. And should I try feeding it soon as well? Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard of them reappearing several weeks to a month after disappearing. But this guy was GONE for about 3 months so I'm amazed it's even alive! I can try and post a picture of it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't iodine dip. I'm pretty sure anemones don't like that. It's mostly only good for injuries and infections, anyway. Ailing zoas in general may enjoy an iodine dip, though.

It'll move in and out of the light as it needs. Try not to disturb it. It probably hid from the flow.

If you do feed it, feed it a very small amount of food. Digestion is hard on anemones.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for that. That makes sense. I won't dip it, and I'll do my best not to bother it and feed it a little. I just hope it doesn't move off the small rock it's on and back into the crevices of the larger rock. I wanna make sure it gets light and colors up so I can ideally nurse it back to health.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wonderful how Mother Nature can surprise you with its toughness now and then! Enjoy looking at the nem while you can, because the one thing that is certain with 'nems is that they are all jerks and will tease you at every chance they get. :)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed a mysid shrimp if you feel inclined. Most rock flowers will move to where they are happy. Some prefer the sandbed while others may go really high in the tank getting a lot of light. It will take some time for it to color back up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back