Rock fusion: How do you connect your reef rocks?

How do you connect your reef rocks?

• Epoxy

Votes: 109 27.5%
  • Glue

Votes: 153 38.5%
  • Cement-style mix

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • Stack rocks without adhesive

Votes: 187 47.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 7.8%

• Total voters

MNCYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used white 3/8'' fiberglass rods on my last build. Built it as I liked. Drilled the holes through it on the work bench put in the rods and made a few small marks with a permanent marker on the touching points. Took a few pictures and put it back together like a puzzle in the tank.

KBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used white 3/8'' fiberglass rods on my last build. Built it as I liked. Drilled the holes through it on the work bench put in the rods and made a few small marks with a permanent marker on the touching points. Took a few pictures and put it back together like a puzzle in the tank.
Do you have pics of the finished product? And I like the fiberglass rod idea too. Thanks!

jonnyglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be building my aquascape "wet" using aquacultured live rock... The current thought is to use a masonry bit to drill sockets in the rocks and use fiberglass dowels on the foundational rocks as well as anything cantilevered. Planning to use Z-Spar Splash Zone to anchor everything together.

jonnyglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you source the fiberglass rods?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used many different types of two-part epoxy with success. The oddest of which is used to fill leaks on boats underwater.

My "other" is Zip Ties. They work, but you need to use the most heavy-duty ones you can find. If you use thin ones, you'll find that saltwater is not kind to flexible plastics. I've had cheap ties last 8 to 10 years. They get brittle over and will snap under the weight of the rock they're keeping in place. As with toast falling butter-side down, the tumbling rock will smash your all-time favorite coral. (Also don't buy any with metal teeth that hold the strap because they rust.) I prefer using ties that are "releasable" like these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5795. They're easier to do-over when you make a mistake.

Dude64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@happyhourherothats a nice stack... Tried free stacking but turbos are destroyers. I created a shelf using ye Olde super glue and then free stacking some extra rock in/on it.

Attachments

• Shelf.jpg
    Shelf.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 29

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the cyano glue w/ force quick dry and a good epoxy cement combo for large projects. This one has been up and running for 2 years now...

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use everything lol. I only wish i have the creative mind of some of you guys that can really think outside of the box.
Agreed. I picture it in my head but when I get hands on, it's nothing like I pictured it. I am not artistic or crafty enough when it comes to rockscapes. I just made 4 large structures using epoxy and 3 loose pieces to fill in the empty spots.
20230329_145208.jpg
VideoCapture_20220301-214101.jpg

Last edited:

jtroxel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used super glue and cigarette filters, sets like rock., put the rocks how you want them, fill the gaps where they join with filter and drop the superglue on to the filter...they never move.
I have tried with some success to use regular cotton balls for the same purpose.

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up a biocube 32 and wanted to make a reef wall look, no adhesive just balanced. I have run a few tanks with just stacking the rocks well and never had an issue

E2EA03DE-909B-4139-8C4D-9716CA1ED3F9.jpeg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
footprint of the pink foam is 94 inches x 22 inches for an 8-foot 300g glass cage. Super Glue gel and insta-set accelerator. I also have a 4ft 75g with Live Rock in it that be added to what I have here. I really Liked Happyhourhero's rock, but thought it looked like a Nano Tank set up, so thought I'd add something longer than we are all tall!

rock02.jpg

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
footprint of the pink foam is 94 inches x 22 inches for an 8-foot 300g glass cage. Super Glue gel and insta-set accelerator. I also have a 4ft 75g with Live Rock in it that be added to what I have here. I really Liked Happyhourhero's rock, but thought it looked like a Nano Tank set up, so thought I'd add something longer than we are all tall!

rock02.jpg
Looks nice! Adding Fiji Pink and Special grade sand combination or bare bottom? That will look nice with a 3/4 in sand bed but really nice either way.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! Adding Fiji Pink and Special grade sand combination or bare bottom? That will look nice with a 3/4 in sand bed but really nice either way.
Actually planning 2 inch deep aragonite substrate. I get so much enjoyment out of all of them critters IN the substrate, snails, stars, cukes, sand sifter goby, etc. So I thought I'd give them a really nice playground. 300g gives me a ton of room for fish and things, but I am going to keep it kind of minimalist, only plan on adding 3 or 4 fish to the 7 I have now.

Currently have 2 clowns (occelarus)
diamond watchman goby
blue-eye kole tang
pygmy cherub angel
royal gramma
neon dottyback.

I plan to add a yellow tang, 6-line wrasse, and possibly a scopus tang. That's really it for fish. Any additional fish I should consider, I base most of my choices off their utility to the environment, and which types of algae I need to manage.

short term goal 6 months out is to have a visual pleasing mixed reef mostly softies and LPS. Gonna to hold off on a lot of the SPS for now.

Heading into my busy work season so weekly water changes is where I am going to try and keep Maintenace until fall, then I will look into possibly adding some SPS and potential dosing to keep it all healthy instead of regular routine water changes.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cement (marco 400) with an acrylic rod inserted into the a hole drilled into the rocks being connected. The acrylic rod is melted on the ends before being jammed in so it conforms to the ends of the holes and can't come out even without the cement. This acts both to hold the rock solid during drying as well as adds a bunch of extra strength and some flexibility (like reo-bar).

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used epoxy, doesn't hold great.
Water super glue and sand works incredible.
I was thinking about cement, not sure about cure time.
And I've used aquafix. Okay but not great.

Water super glue is the only way I'm going in the future.
same here! Thin superglue and powdered dry rock is incredible and looks so natural. Never doing anything else again n

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back