Rock fusion: How do you connect your reef rocks?

How do you connect your reef rocks?

• Epoxy

Votes: 109 27.5%
  • Glue

Votes: 153 38.5%
  • Cement-style mix

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • Stack rocks without adhesive

Votes: 187 47.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 7.8%

• Total voters

mark Prieto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock fusion: How do you connect your reef rocks?

So you decided to build an aquascape in a new tank or maybe you are rescaping your current setup – how do you get the rocks to stick together? Do you stack them on top of each other and hope they stay? Maybe you have used some type of epoxy or glue? Please tell us how you have connected your reef rocks. Also, consider sharing tips and pictures in the discussion thread!

RickLRMS_Aquascape.jpeg

Photo by @RickLRMS
Hi , on my Rock scape I drilled holes through Rocks and ran 1/4” acrylic rods through them along with placing cement between pieces.

Hendy100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combination of Ecotoch coral glue & just careful stacking.

Attachments

• 20230327_211659.mp4
    3.8 MB
  • 20230327_211812.jpg
    20230327_211812.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 33

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know anyone else was using powdered rock with thin super glue. I have used baking soda for years and just tried powdered MarcoRock when making my scape.
I will say powdered rock works even better than baking soda.
40989F15-36BB-4997-AD23-DB55945908C1.jpeg
I agree. I like it much more than working with epoxy.

Pros:
Sets almost instantly without any accelerators
The more powder you use and glue on that joint the stronger it becomes (the rock would break first before the joint)
Cheaper than epoxy

Cons:
It creates a lot of fumes so do it in a well-ventilated area
It can burn if you get powder and glue on you
You can't do it with wet rocks or underwater

KBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used epoxy, doesn't hold great.
Water super glue and sand works incredible.
I was thinking about cement, not sure about cure time.
And I've used aquafix. Okay but not great.

Water super glue is the only way I'm going in the future.
Hello! You mentioned sand. I was thinking about using sand and superglue also. Did you use thin superglue? I’m guessing if yes you made a small pile of sand on the rock then placed the next rock on that then added the glue to the sand?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used epoxy. It works great but in hinfsite I wish that I didn't do it so permanent. IIt would have been easier to fight algae if I didn't

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This vertical wall is a skeleton of egg crate zip tied to a pvc return with Marco rocks/rubble and Marco cement filling in the gaps. The top piece with the palys/nepthia is real Fiji live rock, which is movable.
20230327_165914.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I like it much more than working with epoxy.

Pros:
Sets almost instantly without any accelerators
The more powder you use and glue on that joint the stronger it becomes (the rock would break first before the joint)
Cheaper than epoxy

Cons:
It creates a lot of fumes so do it in a well-ventilated area
It can burn if you get powder and glue on you
You can't do it with wet rocks or underwater
Not underwater but I have done many wet rocks.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! You mentioned sand. I was thinking about using sand and superglue also. Did you use thin superglue? I’m guessing if yes you made a small pile of sand on the rock then placed the next rock on that then added the glue to the sand?
Yes, aragonite sand and thin superglue. Glue, sand, glue, sand, ect...

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only done this once, so can't speak from a great well of experience. But I did superglue followed up by e-marco 400. Absolutely fantastic process. Super easy to do and my rockwork is completely solid. Very very very glad I went this way and will not hesitate to do it again in the future.

G8x3H1i.png

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone said PVC yet or did I miss it?
I've been dreaming of re-doing my entire scape almost daily after seeing the member (who's name I am forgetting) who has the large rock 'balanced' upside down (pvc hidden supported from the center) - easily the best scape thing I have seen yet

Etto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco Rock, Marco Rock Powder and thin viscosity super glue. Lots and lots of super glue.

Attachments

• 2023-03-26 11.27.38.jpg
    2023-03-26 11.27.38.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 32

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve always been a stacker. Love the looks of some of the things I see others doing so think I might give glueing a shot sometime. But I also decide (I wish it was different) no problem, just pull some out and rearrange.

I do make sure that I start from the glass with no sand under my foundation row.

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents here.
Wish I knew this before, I've started using this JAG aquatics glue that seems to be a super runny cyanoacrylate.

I use them with crushed coral, where the carbonate reacts with it and bonds instantly.

It creates a very strong bond, i literally made a whole feature out of it just attaching rock shelves to it.

You can find it on YouTube i think, this JAG guy he has tutorials on how he makes his aquascapes with this method, I'm never going back to any other method.

Also once I make it sometimes I might just add a bit of aquaforest cement to increase the strength - but mostly just the JAG glue with the carbonate.

When using this method some chemical reaction happen, it sizzles and heats up and seems to bond your crushed coral and powder through capillarity to the actual rock.

You can literally glue a shelf on the go while you hold it and 10 sec it's done, then you just add a few more points around it to reinforce.

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this method, if your sand is coral sand it will work.

I use a mix of very fine powdered coral which I just crush with a hammer or get from drilling it. This one creates the best quickest bond, and i mix it with a bit of my coral sand and once in a while i add some little pieces of coral rubble to fill in gaps, structural and allow me to add the powder (so it doesn't just fall through).

Then just squirt the glue on it, hear the delicious sizzle, do a few more times around your piece depending on the weight of what you are gluing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back